Tune-o-matic bridges?

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, all.

I've just been looking at the spec of the focus of my latest GAS attack.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/33910

As you can see, it mentions a tuneomatic bridge. For some reason my stomach flopped as I read this. Are they usually problematic? ('scuse the unintentional pun.)

Thanks in advance,

Shady

Take care,

Casey

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Not really. Those "Tune-O's" are typically the style of bridges with Gibson/Epi SG/LP type guitars. The other type of "Hardtail" (no Trem) are where the strings are strung 'through' the body like on a lot of the schecters, teles, and some esp/ltd models.

Most SG/LP guitars will have this bridge unless there's a bigsby installed.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

They pose no tuning difficulties then?

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

No problems. Just different from what you are obviously used to. Different can be good.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

They pose no tuning difficulties then?
more stable than any trem equipped guitar. :wink:

Benefit: lets you adjust intonation of each string independently (as opposed to, say some Tele bridges, where the intonation adjusts per string pair)
Drawback: adjusting string height (action) happens across then entire bridge at once, not string at a time, like typical Strat bridges.

For reference, in case any reader doesn't know what we're talking about here:

Tune-o-matic

Strat style bridge

Tele bridge

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well, this is now going to be an even more difficult question, but looking at it, do you guys think it's really worth it? I can get it for less than the list price on the site, but I'm not really sure about it.

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I'm not familiar with that brand, but that doesn't count for much. There are so many brand names these days.
It should be quite similar to any of the many SG clones. For that price it should be better than most, actually.

Were it me, these are some of the things that would be running thru my mind:

What does a Gibson SG cost in UK shops these days?

What does the same guitar from the same manufacturer cost with a more common finish? (I.E. how much of a premium does the custom paint job add to the price?) - I'm not partial to that decoration, but it might suit your taste.

Can you get your hands on the one you want to buy to try it out? What else can you try out at the same time?
Perhaps compare it to an Epiphone SG (1/3 the price) and a Gibson SG at £999.

edit:
I did some more searching at that online store, and found some other guitars in the same brand.
Unless I'm greatly mistaken, they are charging quite a premium for that fancy paint job.

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member

As has been said already, Tune-o-matic bridges pose no problems. However, when you change the strings on a guitar with such a bridge, if you take off all the strings you need to hold onto it. Those two large bolts are simply anchors, the bridge will just drop off when the string tension is released, possibly leaving a nice ding in your guitar is the bridge is a solid lump of metal!

As for that Vintage guitar, seems a bit steep and tbh I think you're paying for the Clapton name being attached to it. You can pick up a Gibson SG Special for £450 if you look in the right places, or a top Epiphone SG Deluxe for £220.

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Interesting. Given I've only seen Vintage brand guitars reviewed and advertised in Euro mags, I assumed the UK contingent would know of them. Especially since they seem to be associated with Trev Wilkinson, a guy who has garnered more than a little respect in the hardware (trem, tuners, pups) world. For us yanks: Vintage seems to be the Euro version of Agile

So anyway ... from memory, Vintage is a budget line, Asian or Eastern Euro made (can't remember which), Euro marketed brand that does a lot of knock-offs.

Link: http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

On Tune-O-Matic bridges and stop tailpeices: Yes, they are generally good, though not perfect. Known issues on ToM bridges are spring rattling, saddle slippage and structural collapse (heavy strings, on OLD bridge/ old guitar), and the ever popular "The tailpiece fell off while changing strings and left a nasty dent in the wood!" Ditto the bridge. Only the last (falling off tailpiece) should really concern you ... unless you are checking out a really cheap clone (some have plastic saddles, and questionable metals and retainer springs) or a workhorse vintage (as in > 25 years old, not the brand) guitar that has taken a lifetime of pounding. In short: Re-read yashi's advice when time to change strings, and you should be okay.

And I agree with Kent: You are paying for a paint job on the Fool clone.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Or change the strings one at a time, that way the tailpiece won't come off.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Strange.
I've changed the strings on my tune-o-matic/stopbar equipped guitar dozens of times, and have never had problems with the bridge or tailpiece falling off. I have taken them off intentionally for cleaning, but they have never dislocated themselves.

Is this really a common problem?

Then again, I always have my guitar lying flat on it's back on a table for string changes.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Some tailpieces fit more snugly than others, Kent. I agree with your method of laying the guitar flat on a table or work surface. This will definitely help prevent the tailpiece from escaping it's post.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Some tailpieces fit more snugly than others, Kent. I agree with your method of laying the guitar flat on a table or work surface. This will definitely help prevent the tailpiece from escaping it's post.

The variation in snugness occurs due to slight spacing or parallelism differences in the anchor screws. A very slight error in either will cause a little binding that can hold the tailpiece in place.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote