Clear all

Upside down bass

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I was channel surfing the other night and came across a Billy Idol acoustic special on VH1 Classic. The first thing I noticed was that the Bass player was lefthanded. Then I noticed that there was something strange about the acoustic bass he was playing. It was a righthanded Tacoma Thunder Chief acoustic bass, he was playing it upside down. I just thought that was cool! :)

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Was it strung righty or lefty?

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Was it strung righty or lefty?

It looked to be strung righty. I'm assuming it was barrowed. I've got a lefty Tacoma myself so I know they make them.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yah some lefties just play that way. I knew a bass player who had grown up just flipping a regular righty bass over, and that was the way he was used to playing.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Usually when a bass is upside down it means the water they are in is polluted.

Oh you mean the music bass. :twisted: :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Back in the 70's, Pete Watts...the bass player with Mott The Hoople....got re-named by the other band members because of his penchant for playing the bass upside-down....look on any Mott album, he's credited as "Overend Watts"......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Hey, I finally saw a bit of that Billy Idol telecast. Man did that bass have a FAT sound! And I thought Billy was in good voice too.

ReplyQuote