Clear all

Versatile guitar recommendation?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@globetro)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, versatile guitar? Something that could possibly used to play stuff from say RHCP, to RATM, to Eric Clapton, to Metallica, to Weezer. From what I've been reading, it seems like the Schecter C-1 Classic would be a good choice. And I'm assuming the Fender VG Strat would probably be very versatile as well. Any other suggestions?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

A fat Strat (humbucker in the bridge) with S1 switch will be versatile. Another would be the Nashville Tele (with third pup in center position). Some like dual-'bucker guitars with coil taps for a single coils sound, but the tapped sound is usually a bit anemic ... but that is versatile. For a slightly different flavor, check out a PRS dual-bucker with rotary five-way switching -- many different sounds using combos of all four coils. The SE PRS line is pretty reasonable in price.

OTOH, having played for many years now, I believe it's more important to get a guitar you really enjoy playing and has a bit of its own character, instead of one that's the most versatile. Many of the versatile guitars just don't seem to produce a one really really good sound.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I think the key is getting the sound you want. I think with effects and pedals you can shape your sound (to degree) to add versatility. Probably the MOST versatile guitar is the Fender Fat strat with the single coils and a bridge humbucker. Hard to go wrong with that selection.

The VG Strat sure looks like it is versatile, but it is probably overkill.

The Schecter's are nice, but they are definitely more focused on a humbucker driven sound. I will say that I have a two-humbucker equipped guitar with coil splits that absolutely NAILS the single coil sound and also does well with classic rock humbucker music. It is my Tele Custom with DiMarzio Virtual Vintage humbuckers.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@globetro)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Excellent, thank you for the suggestions and tips. I'll have to check out the Fender Fat Strat again. I think you guys may be right about compromising too much if I try to find a do-it-all guitar.

ReplyQuote