Notifications
Clear all

WANTED!!! Your guitar regrets!!!

23 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Folks, sorry I didn't tke the time to read all of the other respnses. I will later. I just wanted to provide the OP with mine as it appears it is for a project he's doing.

My own regret is getting a starter kit and not getting it from a place that would or could set it up properly. This set me back a few months when first starting out.

My second guitar related regret is spending too much money before I knew what I wanted. This mostly applies to amps. One in particular that was geared for metal and even marketed that way. My tone sucked. It was fun for a little while.

My third guitar regret is not remembering everything TR wrote in a post about changing out saddles on an EPI LP. Long stry short, the paint chips is hard to see unless you're old and blind. OK, so you gotta be within inches and under really good lighting. Point it, I chipped my baby and it has not played right since and I need a new one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My 4th and biggest regret is buying a "low end" acoustic for $800-ish that had tone that I ended up not liking. I bought this WAYYYYYY to early in my guitar playing journey. I omit the name because it was not the guitar's fault. It sounded exactly like they do.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

My third guitar regret is not remembering everything TR wrote in a post about changing out saddles on an EPI LP. Long stry short, the paint chips is hard to see unless you're old and blind. OK, so you gotta be within inches and under really good lighting. Point it, I chipped my baby and it has not played right since and I need a new one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The good news is you saved my LP whenI had to do the same thing, and I learned from your mastake!!! Does not help yours, but me and my LP thank you!!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Surprisingly enough, the small damage done to the guitar's surface did not affect playability and tone. I was hopeing it would sound good for a change, but same old fingers...... :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@robparis)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

It was really fun to read your posts, and THANK YOU very much.
Even though it was some time now I posted this,
I see it as my duty to tell you about how the book turned out.

well, I switched directions because of some of your answers about
"you learn by your mistakes - keep on moving forward" kind of answers.
It inspired me to do something in that spirit!

So it ended up in a more inspirational book, a very short book,
30 pages "only", I had a lot fun writing it!

Now, a big promotion company came across it and contacted me and wanted to make
a press release and I have now hundreds of readers already,
and I "released" the book 3 weeks ago or so, and the feedback are quite scary.

People are telling me they will pick up the guitar again after years of "break"
coz they got so inspired, and beginners tell me they feel eager to learn
more after reading the book and that I made their day!

so, this is awesome, Its a great feeling to know that you inspire people to the
play guitar (we are all here on this forum because of the guitar) and to follow their passion,
you know, some of those guitarist may be "one of the great" in the end, who knows,
and its an honor for me to be one of their source of inspiration. :)
I hope some of them finds this forum and they can be a part of it!

So again, I want to THANK YOU for writing your small "stories" in this post!

Thanks,
Rob

Check out my new guitar blogg! (click below)

http://www.guitarbeyondreason.com/
Its only rock n roll but I like it!

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I'm a multi-instrumentalist (sax, flute, wind synthesizer, guitar, bass, keyboard synthesizer, drums, vocals and computer). I'm currently playing in a duo, The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com and I write aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith http://www.nortonmusic.com .

I started my professional career playing sax in guitar bands. Back then all the better bands had a sax. However, not every songwriter has the good sense to put a sax part in every song, so I learned double on bass, keyboards and rhythm guitar - learning the parts on a song-by-song basis. On guitar I learned barre and other moveable chords and would play rhythm with the lead guitarist's 'other' guitar on the songs where I filled in guitar. A lot of fun, but that's were my total guitar playing stagnated for many years.

While the guitar playing laid dormant, I worked on wind synth, flute, keyboard synth, arranging, style writing, learning how to run an aftermarket mail-order and later Internet order business, learning HTML so I could write my own web pages, and so on. I even played bass for a while during the psychedelic era when nobody wanted to hear the sax very much (I'm a survivor).

A few years ago I decided to get serious on the guitar and learn to play lead. So I bought some books, Mel Bay, Hal Leonard and other publishers became my friends, as well as YouTube and other video lesson sites. Now I've gotten decent on the guitar - I can hold my on on a rock/country/blues song. My guitarist friends are amazed at how quickly I picked it up, but it is my 7th instrument so I carry a lot of fundamental knowledge with me and my time on the bass taught me a lot about intervals on the fretboard.

So here I am, making a living doing music and nothing but music, playing in a band with my wife/best friend (we met when we were in two different bands) and I'm both singing and playing sax, guitar, wind synth, flute, and percussion controller on stage. I'm enjoying this a lot and can't wait to get to work!

So what's my regret????????? I'm a very lucky guy. How can I have any regrets at all? I'm living a life many others dream about.

My regret is that I didn't get serious on the guitar 10 or 20 years ago. I know I'm decent at it right now, but the more I learn on it, the more I realize there is to know that I don't know yet. To put it in a nutshell, I want to be as technically competent on the guitar as Jeff Beck, but I know that it's going to take thousands of additional hours and I don't know if I have that many additional hours in front of me (we really never do know, do we?) and most of all - I'm impatient.

But I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I know I'm going to be involved in music until the day I die, and I know that when I check out to go to that great gig in the sky, there will be a lot about music I still haven't learned yet. To quote Sergei Rachmaninoff, "Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music."

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member

My biggest guitar regret.

In my first "life", if it didn't have a fuzz tone, I wasn't even close to interested. Everything had to rock - and rock hard. I had such a musical tunnel vision, I shut out everything not performed by my half dozen favorite artists.

As a result, my influences were very limited, and my playing reflected that. My style was very singular.

Now, in my second "life", I am all over the map. While I still have a fondness for the bands of my youth, I have a much wider appreciation for musicians playing almost all styles of music (Rap kinda doesn't do it for me). My mp3 player has Metal, Country, R&B, Jazz Standards, Soul, Bluegrass, Pop, and more than a few Classicals.

When we play out, we rock pretty hard, but my preference has moved away from the tappers and shredders. These days I can really hear the Jazz players do their changes and I'm amazed. Bluegrass pickers absolutely blow me away. My guitar heroes have moved away from the pyrotechnics of Van Halen and KISS, and into the tastier styles of Setzer or Horton Heat.

I really feel that, because of my becoming more musically open-minded and appreciative, my musicianship has improved exponentially. My regret is that I didn't have that perspective when I was much younger and more limber. :(

My son is in a band, and I am always on him to absorb many styles of music; to not be a one-trick-pony. But he just says "Oooookay Dad" and heads off to practice with his thrash band.

So I guess when he is my age, he'll post a similar regret, because he is acting just like his old man.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Ya mean BESIDES leaving my Gibson Crest in a Motel 6 room while I went out to McDonalds???

:(

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@robparis)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys!!

here is a press releas for the book:
http://hardrocknights.com/hard-rock-news/dangers-rob-paris-launches-inspirational-book-guitar-trigger/

and it all started because of this post, isn't THAT kind of cool??? haha

Someone that would like to review the book? I mean, I bet there are some good writers here,
and I am not a "good" writer (its the first thing I ever wrote) so would be cool to get some opinions/feedback so to speak.

rock on

Check out my new guitar blogg! (click below)

http://www.guitarbeyondreason.com/
Its only rock n roll but I like it!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2