Clear all

we will rock you

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I just got back from seeing this and it was awesome - if you havent heard of it in the US then the remaining members of queen along with a comedy writer called ben elton write a musical based in the future featuring aover 20 of queens best songs.

I have to be honest, if i didnt know there was a live band there somewhere i would have thought the music was backing tracks - it was absolutley bob on to the original - excellent - all the guitartist were playing copies of brian mays guitar and the lead vocalist was superb.

it kinda got me thinking, i dont know how much these guys earn, and i dont care, it might be a lot, or it might be less than i earn in my job now, but whatever they get paid, i would love their job (obviously im not good enough though).

i suppose my point is that if you can get by in life through playing an instrument you love, then you must be the happiest man on the planet. I dont earn a lot as a science teacher, but it is above average and even with the holidays i still dont like my job (i dont hate it - i just dont LIKE it).

I would hate to think that talented muscicians give up playing because their "band" doesnt "make it", there has to be lots of great other opportunities like this that they could turn their talents too.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hey Al I knew there was a reason I liked you...your a science geek..well maybe not a geek, but I know exactly what you mean. I am a biology major that ended up in the chemical industry and now in IT and I've felt the same way about my job for years now. I really can't stand the whole corporate thing. I know it's not quite the same as a teacher, I would imagine it's a little less political but probably similar...I'm not sure I could handle the kids.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

oh trust me cnev, i am a geek.
last month we got a new van der graff generator and i came home nearly 2 hours late because i was "playing" with it.

thing is my wife is a maths teacher - so unless i can get our daughter into some rock guitar soon, she'll out-geek both her parents!!

oh, and my degree was biology too, although i only teach physics now.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you guys probably read the manuals before unpacking, huh?

when I was in LasVegas last year I saw quite a few bands. some were in tents others on stages.
they all played well and had the entertainment thing down pat. I thought, what a cool gig. what a cool life choice.

to do what they were doing I believe is a full on committment . a life style choice. and with any choice (insert the word 'job') I bet there are some unpleasant sides.

I'd like to believe we all end up doing the thing we do not because of chance, but choice.
and that implies having a passion for what we do.
yet....
after fifteen years, dispite maybe having the coolest job around, I am tired of it and need to pursue something else.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote