Skip to content
Well, I never!... w...

Notifications
Clear all

Well, I never!... what will they think of next!?

21 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fingerweights-M05B-5-Set-105298046-i1323499.gc

Opinions?

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@lue42)
Reputable Member

Whenever I see gadgets like this, I think to myself, what would David Gilmour think of them. I think that he would probably laugh his butt off at these.

Get finger strength the old fashion way... just keep playing and practicing.

Yeesh... about as stupid as these things... http://www.findanote.com/index.htm

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

http://www.findanote.com/index.htm

Oh no! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Not sure about this but . . .

if there is a category for Stupid Invention of the Year . . .

I think this qualifies.

Based on the principle . . . it feels so good to stop banging your head against the wall?

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

And someone laughed all the way to the bank for coming up with this crap. :?

About the goofiest thing I've sprung for is a couple of these for $3.95...

They do work pretty well on acoustics. For some reason shoe strings attached to the strap and headstock just bother me. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i'd ding up my fingerboard and neck with those weights in a minute.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Actually, the strap sounds like a good idea . . . when I bought my last (electric) guitar . . . I had to take it back to the store.
The body must have been made out of balsa wood . . .
because the headstock (stockhead? . . . whatever) would fall to the floor as soon as it was released . . .
when wearing a strap . . . .
I mean not just a slow decent . . . an immediate and accelerated nose dive to the floor.
They had the same model made with a heavier wood so the balance of the guitar was more centered.

Do you know how stupid it looks to have an upside down guitar hanging from your neck?

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Actually, the strap sounds like a good idea . . .

Those doohickies really are good. :wink:
Do you know how stupid it looks to have an upside down guitar hanging from your neck?

KR2

Like a really, really BIG violin?

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

??

:lol:

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Opinions?

The real pros use jewelry.... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Opinions?

The real pros use jewelry.... :wink:

Yeh and we is still po'. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Yeesh... about as stupid as these things... http://www.findanote.com/index.htm

:oops:

Well, I didn't buy those note name stickers.... But when I first tried to figure out the guitar I bought a packet of basic coloured stickers, cut them into small chunks and started sticking them all over the neck - red for all the Cs, Green for the Gs etc. ....

This soon started to look like a really dumb idea... For a start I didn't have enough colours to cover all the note names. So I started with what I thought might be 'more important' notes, but the neck quickly looked like it was coming down with some rare tropic disease, and it all looked like a massive and useless mess. :shock:

But....

As I stared at the half done mess, and wondered what had possessed me to try it.... I started to notice patterns all over the neck. I began to see how things followed certain ‘rules' and clusters and where the ‘kinks' or exceptions were. I noticed some shapes in particular, and started to realise how they could be used.

Some weeks later I came across a popular guitar web-site with lessons, forum etc and an ebook you could buy that was based around the guy's idea that you could build an understanding of how guitar works based on certain ‘shapes' that he knew about. Selling the book explaining the 'secrets' was a large contribution to how he made his living (and I think still is, although it's now on DVD).

So rather than ask on his forum, I sent him an email saying:
“Hey - I think I know what your method is without reading it, because I saw the same thing when I looked at the neck. I don't want to blow the story on your forum - so is my ‘insight' the same as yours?”
He wrote back saying that he had hundreds of emails from people claiming to know what he must be saying.... but that I was the first who ever actually got it right. He thanked me for not blurting it out, and sent me a free copy of his book. True story. :)

So sometimes mucking about with dumb ideas does pay off.
[EDIT: Clarification - By "pay-off" I meant that the stickers showed me some useful things, not that I scammed the guy for a free book! .... ]

Over a period of time I've used a version of that sticker method to highlight how all sorts of patterns work - not only how the various types of local clusters are laid out but how they all link together when you want to climb freely around the neck. As many other people doubtless do, I printed out blank diagrams of a fretboard and did my scribbling all over those instead - it's much quicker and less messy. I find that writing it out for myself (and even doing some of the 'discovery') entrenches it in my brain far more effectively than just looking at diagrams in a book does. But it was the first silly experiment with the stickers that got me started, so maybe it wasn't so dumb after all??? :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

OK, now you got me curious.
I'm going to make a spread sheet . . .
label the cells with the notes on the fingerboard . . .
and then color code the cells in the spreadsheet based on the notes . . .
I've got to see this pattern.

KR2

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

OK, now you got me curious.
I'm going to make a spread sheet . . .
label the cells with the notes on the fingerboard . . .
and then color code the cells in the spreadsheet based on the notes . . .
I've got to see this pattern.

KR2

Good for you Ken! Good luck.

There are of course dozens of potential patterns there, it's working out how to see them that counts - i.e. what to leave and what to wipe off. You also need some ideas of what you're looking for - plus some prior knowledge of what part each assigned colour might play in the construction of scales and chords.

So, for instance, you might spot some of those movable 'pentatonic boxes' that people talk about (but they weren't what he was talking about) or you might spot some general relationships that will help to turn a major chord into a minor.... or you might see relationships that help you hop across to other parts of the ladder... or whatever.... But to start with you'll just see a lot of blobs of colour - and some basic (but still useful) relationships, rather than something more complex. Just the colours on their own probably won't show much.... unless of course you're going to be the one to find it.... :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i've never seen finger weights before, that's kind of funny. I used to use one of those gripmasters...took it in the car with my everywhere and just sat there using it at red lights. i don't think it did much for my hand strength. i thought it would help my barre chords, but no such luck. it's all gimmick.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2