What album most influenced you

32 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Steve-O,

I second the motion on songs. I am much more effected by a particular song vs a particular album. There are maybe a handful of albums thet I've ever listened to that I can truly say I like everything on there.

But there are hundreds of songs for hundreds of different reasons that have effected me in some way. That's why I don't just like the blues or just calssic rock etc. I like songs from pretty much every type of music yet I'm not really into any one type of music if that makes sense.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

So far The Allman Brothers Band: Live at the Fillmore East...

I'm starting to turn a bit towards jazz too, Coltrane's "My Favorite Things" is awesome! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So far The Allman Brothers Band: Live at the Fillmore East...

I'm starting to turn a bit towards jazz too, Coltrane's "My Favorite Things" is awesome! :)

thats cool 8) check out Mile Davis while yur at it :D . The ABB @ the Fillmore east is an awsome album. :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

In the beginning – SRV :roll: – The Sky is Crying

Later on – Clapton and B.B. – Riding with the King
and
JLHooker - Serves You Right to Suffer

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Metallica-Kill'em All to ...And Justice For All
Slayer-Reign In Blood to Divine Intervention
Anything Jimi Hendrix and SRV
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin
Eric Clapton's "Layla"
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Santana's "Black Magic Woman"

:D

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Cream - Disraeli Gears

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

At first, it was...

Nirvana- Nevermind when I first started, till I realized how uncool power chords were.

Then I went through a Pink floyd phase with dark side of the moon, trying to play stuff like money and time

Now, it's mostly all influenced by the cd, The Very Best of Cream, it turned me on to so many good cream songs, I like that whole cd except for, spoonful, and politician.

I really love clapton's solos, they flow effortlessly in his cream and bluesbreakers, but as he grew older, his soloing changed, and is still great, but a bit slower and more "graceful"

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Ah...I forgot Pink Floyd.

:D

I got some video on how to play some of their songs.

...And Primus.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

None, really. I'm usually influenced most by the last album I listened to.
I feel the same. This topic kind of has bothered me because I don't really have a clear cut answer, this may be why my playing is a bit all over the place. Led Zeppelin is why I got into guitar but how I sound and play is pretty much whatever I am into at the moment. How I think about music - that's tougher. I think, this may sound weird, but classical music influences me most here. When listening to classical, I really pay attention to how the different parts interact.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@crossfire)

Lynyrd Skynyrd- Skynyrd's First
Allman Bros.- Stand Back
Muddy Waters- Martin Scorsese Presents

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Yes, Lynyrd Skynyrd has been a huge influence on me as well. Simple Man is one of my favorites followed by The Breeze and many more!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I had to have a really hard think about this one.......

The first band that I ever sat up and pinned my ears back to were the Beatles, when I was about 6 or so....but I can't think of a single album that really influenced me....I started buying LP's about '72, amongst the first I bought were "All The Young Dudes" & "Mott" by Mott The Hoople, "Razamanaz" by Nazareth, Led Zep 4, "Electric Warrior" by T.Rex and Rubber Soul....

In my songwriting/singing I can often hear traces of Mott (THe Mrs says I sound like Ian Hunter!....and I still have the long hair and the ray-bans.... take the ray-bans away, I'm Marc Bolan....I learned to play slide from Razamanaz, playing along to "Vigilante Man"...in open G....Led Zep (riffs) and Beatles (acoustic riffs)......

But I have this theory that as a musician, singer, songwriter, whatever - you're influenced by all the records you've enjoyed....from the Shadows to Oasis, from the Four Seasons to the Verve, from the KInks to the Killers - hey, it's all music, listen, learn, enjoy, assimilate...resistance is futile!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

......and then I thought, Vic, you pillock, what about Dylan? What about Creedence?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

hard to pick an album per se. i'd have to pick the artists themselves. but my sounds at times is a cross between Everybody Knows This is Nowhere - Neil Young, Photographs and Memories - Jim Croce, and vintage Motorhead. toss it in a blender and you have the waltaja sound

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Oh there's been loads,

but standouts that have most influenced me and I'll never part with are:

Chuck Berry's Golden Decade (A set of three double albums) still not available on CD

Please Please Me--Beatles
Rubber Soul------- Beatles
Abbey Road--------Beatles
Live At The BBC---Beatles

Harvest ----------- Neil Young
Harvest Moon ---- Neil Young

America ----------- America

Hotel California---Eagles

Don't Shoot Me I'm Only ThePiano Player----- Elton John
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road -------------------- Elton John
Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy---Elton John

I could go on and on, but, like Vic says though you are influenced by all the records you have enjoyed.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3