Skip to content
What Computer-based...

Notifications
Clear all

What Computer-based Music Tools Do You Use?

20 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Audacity as I can't figure out the features in other complex recording programmes.

But, right now I am more interested in getting to know how to setup a good recording rig.

I've been there...

I went and checked out PT and saw the accompanying book that outsized a metropolitan yellow pages!!! So, okay...I took a 14 month course (one night a week)...with my then 15 year old tagging along, too. He's now halfway through the Modern Music: Digital Recording Enginnering BA at Griffith University and is tops in his class.

As for your setting up a good recording rig...are you trying to take on clients or just for yourself. Rahul???

I'll be the first to admit that PT is a genuine pain in the buttocks to get a brainy hold of...but it ain't all that tough. The hard part is "doing tricks with it"...learning some moves that turn out a FLAWLESS product. There's heaps of ancillary Plug Ins that come with it made by different companies...wayyyyyy plenty, in fact.

For me...using a dual screen...you get used to watching the waveform and sort of develop an instinctive understanding of it all.

Again...it ain't really all that hard...but not for the novice, by any stretch!

If you can find some classes...go for it. You'll make some good friends along the way!

Hope this helps!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I have Pro Tools LE that came bundled with my Mbox. I have to say its waaayyy powerful and waaayyy above my head. I'm trying to learn it. Even bought a book! :shock: It is taking a long time given that I can not afford to spend large chunks of time with it. The good news is that I am improving each time I use it. The bad news? Well, at this pace, it will take me forever. But I'm not really on a schedule so I'm just enjoying the ride.

Having one helluva time trying to learn how to use the BFD plugin so I can get half way decent drums in my recordings.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Reaper -- because it does things correctly. I personally know of 3 folks who use pro-tools at their working studios (because the customers demand it) and use Reaper at home (because they honestly believe some of the features are simply better and more cleanly implemented.

What it does, it does superbly.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Yeah...I guess that what ya use at home...ya use at home. Me...and every other producer, for that matter...won't hire someone that ain't up on PT.

If you come up with a product...and want to shop it around...and it looks like it might fly (financially)...you'll be asked as to which format you have it archived on. Better hope it's PT!!!

SURE...it's great and even ADVISEABLE to use what you want...but it's really a prerequisite to at least know how to use it. I mean, you'd be looking rather uneducated if you are sitting at a console...and PT pops up on the screen...and you come up with Patrick Star's infamous "Duhhhhhhh"... :oops:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I'm still using Audacity with a good sound card(refer to the KISS rule). I'm going to upgrade some time next year maybe.Note to self.....Got to win the power-ball :twisted:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2