Skip to content
What did you think ...

Notifications
Clear all

What did you think of the Stones at the half time show?

55 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

They have done a motown theme in 2 previous half time shows

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You know, that's the thing; why should anyone retire when they don't have to? This would almost be like asking for a 'forced retirement' of the Stones. Like they've outlived their usefulness. I've read/heard this on a lot of threads, both here and beyond, that they 'should give it up already' that 'they're making fools of themselves' that 'they've outlived their usefulness/creativity.'

Some might argue that their creativity died with Brian, but they went on and did pretty good for themselves. But the point is, what's the motive behind saying that they should retire? For their benefit, so they can relax and Keith won't have to have that ambulance standing by backstage and all that other stuff?

Or is it people are embarrassed for them?

Or bored of them?

I just don't see any real reason people would call for someone else's retirement. It can't be to *make room* for other upcoming acts, because, who's going to fill the shoes of the Stones? Or Muddy for that matter, or Eric when he's gone? The stardom syndrome is pretty much gone. These guys are all we really have left of the time when there really were individuals, and bands trying *not* to sound like each other, trying to break a little new ground. Okay, so Satanic Majesties was a flop - but...it was bandwagonish, yes - being psychedelic and all, but it was experimental. Not pop as was known at the time.

But the question remains: they go, and who fills that gap? That arena-type stuff? The bigger than life heroes - because we choose to calle them heroes rather than having it stuffed down our throat through the lastest 'Signature Guitar' by some guy who's been on the actual big stage/world scene for 10 years or less?

We want heroes, we in fact need them to a certain extent, but...what is it? Dissatisfaction with how our heroes live up to our expectations? They're not quite 'hero enough?'

We get pretty fickle most times, and this is no different.

Just let our heroes be heroes for as long as they want. What does it hurt? Crams a market too full of acts so nobody else can get a toe in otherwise? A market that's artificially seeded every now and then by the label marketing teams with some pop act with lots of the latest tatoos.

Which look like the others?

I really like the Stones for another reason: people hardly ever have gear threads about them. Everything's known about them. There's no magic, at least gearwise, technology related: it's just them. Just those guys, some guitars and something of their original mission. And they're still going for it. Everybody know's Keef uses 5 strings on his Tele, that Darryl's not *really* part of the band, etc. All these little details we all know and so that just leaves us with themselves to talk about. Their good or their bad show. It's not about what they use - which is such a juicy topic for other acts it fosters hundreds of threads across the internet - but what they are and who they are.

It's kinda hard to sink one's teeth into...people. Easier to relate to equipment that we can go out and purchase, but if it's about people, I guess the best thing or the hippest in some cases to say about them, since there's nothing else to latch onto, is that they should retire.

If that's the only argument, then...it's really not much.

The other thing is it gives us OLD GUYS a little hope. Maybe not to be like them, or to even dream of it, or to maybe realize you're glad you're *not* them! - but to just know that there's some other old campaigners out there, still doing it. You're 50 or 60 or over that and still love playing, so it's kinda nice to see old codgers jumping around on stage (excep for Keef who looked like he wasn't going to make it as far as the 2nd song last night), playing extremely effing loud and having all these people, most of whom were young enough to be their grandchildren, cheering for them and appreciating them.

Maybe that's part of what it's about; appreciation. Being appreciated even if you're an olde farte with a Tele older than most people in the audience, and having people still love your music, and in a way, love you.

So what...they should retire from that?

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

To anyone who doubts the Stone's ability, I'd be happy to send you a video of them doing Satisfaction recently (past 4 years maybe) that is just amazing. Musically speaking and entertainment speaking, they know how to put on a show.

And believe it or not, many ladies still find Mick Jagger to be one sexy man...

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@villanovajunction)
Eminent Member

I didn't see the Superbowl, but apparently they were on a 5 second delay at the insistance of organisers, sponsers, etc...

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." Jimi Hendrix.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

They were afraid Keith would expose Mick's nipple, I think. (Apparently, as Greybeard pointed out, they did censor parts of "Start Me Up" and maybe some other lines too.)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member

Hmmm.... as for perfection the Stones never reached the lofty goals the Beatles did in some peoples minds(Sgt Peppers),I saw them live in 68 or 69(Toronto),I saw them at the Toronto SARS concert(live) and I saw Satisfaction at the super bowl(on the tele),I wasn't impressed with anyone except Mr. Charlie Watts but I have probably 15 of their albums.I don't care much for a band in a bowl and I don't care for looking at a screen to see the band in a concert(sars)If I had to pick an album to go alone with on an Island with only a guitar in my hand it would be Beggars Banquet.
I could not slag this bunch of my heroes if I could even remotely create what they've done,I think it's an amazing thing that they still are the bottom line of rock&roll.I do think they're egotists and probably every band I ever met just wanted
to be appreciated.We should all remember the hours we put into playing,no matter how good we are we are never playing to please ourselves.The Stones are legends for a good reason, I can only think of one band that may be playing R&R yet that started when the Stones did and that would be the Kinks.I say god bless, sound issues or not,unlike George Jones,they always show up !!!

GG

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member

And I forgot a Bigger Bang is one helluva cd!!!

GG

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

And believe it or not, many ladies still find Mick Jagger to be one sexy man...

Yeah, OLD ladies. :)

And gold diggers, I suppose.

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

I'm also a big Stones fans and have seen them numerous times and they're a great live band - to this day. So what happened yesterday?

First, I think they were bored by the whole thing and it showed throughout the short set. Second, it's got to be hard for a band to get a vibe going when you come on for three songs, in the center of a field that is basically devoid of people (the few surrounding the stage don't really do it). Finally, I thought it was strange that they threw in a new song. Yes, they've got to promote like everyone else, but come on. So you're the Rolling Stones and you've got to choose three songs to show the world you still rock. Start Me Up and Satisfaction are good choices, but Rough Justice? Don't get me wrong, I like the new album, but the Super Bowl was not the time or place.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Yes, they've got to promote like everyone else, but come on. So you're the Rolling Stones and you've got to choose three songs to show the world you still rock. Start Me Up and Satisfaction are good choices, but Rough Justice?

Yeah, they should of sang...Sweet Neo Con!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I thought Rough Justice, a song I've never heard before was better than Start Me Up...Not a better song, but it worked better.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Well the Stones did a lot of good shows after that, as did Devo. But guess who's still with us?

Devo toured in 2004 and is currently planning another tour for either late 2006 or early 2007.

I've long suspected the Stones had been replaced with robots.

You've seen Devo lately? I was a bigger of fan of Devo in their heyday, than ever of the Stones. But, Devo looks just plain silly today -- every bit as dated as a comeback hair band.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

are we not men?

Could they do a double bill tour with Gary Numan?

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Well the Stones did a lot of good shows after that, as did Devo. But guess who's still with us?

Devo toured in 2004 and is currently planning another tour for either late 2006 or early 2007.

I've long suspected the Stones had been replaced with robots.

You've seen Devo lately? I was a bigger of fan of Devo in their heyday, than ever of the Stones. But, Devo looks just plain silly today -- every bit as dated as a comeback hair band.

Devo looked plain silly in their heyday as well. I never considered them a serious show. Yes, they're ridiculous.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Devo looked plain silly in their heyday as well. I never considered them a serious show. Yes, they're ridiculous.

Unfortunately, now they are passe, as well. That's probably even worse.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4