What do you do well...

Notifications
Clear all

What do you do well?

38 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@saintvitus)

I'm very good at practicing and honing in on what I really need to work on. I'm constantly reviewing various elements of my playing and I know what steps to take to fix or better what I'm doing. I'm also very patient, and although I find it hard to have fun sometimes when I'm concentrating on bettering any one element, I know in the end that it will pay off. That drive in itself can be fun in some ways...

As for REAL fun and what I'm good at, I've gotten quite good at playing rhythm and my timing is almost perfect. I just need to keep studying theory and commit it to instinct rather than having to think about what notes to use in a scale while constructing chords and shapes all of the time. Thankfully I've got a great teacher...

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm good at nothing. I'm least bad at:

#1: Playing songs in a single guitar arrangement and being able to sing to them all. (The singing is horrible at best, but I still do it. Privacy has it's positives) I can normally pick up the basics of a song in short order. Sometimes the first or second attempt. It's whenever the feel comes to me. I have a very strange method. Needless to say, none of it is note for note.

#2: Having fun, like TR said, is probably what I am best at. I rarely "practice".

I'm slowly getting the hang of doing some ad-hoc lead playing. My short term memory isn't entirely under my control right now, so I don't cover any leads other than a signature riff or two. Even then, I forget the riff in a few weeks if I don't play it every day. right now, I think I can play one riff as designed.

edit: I am also exceptionally gifted at making any Strat (real or knock off) sound like crap. It's as if it were my life's calling.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@johnny-lee)
Trusted Member

edit: I am also exceptionally gifted at making any Strat (real or knock off) sound like crap. It's as if it were my life's calling.

How long does it take to develop that talent? I'd like to give it a go as well. :D

My writings on playing guitar => No B.S. Guitar

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

How long does it take to develop that talent? I'd like to give it a go as well.
Born lucky, I guess. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

I´ve got good picking hand technique - using both a pick or playing fingerstyle.

I´m also a decent rhythm player and I´m getting better at soloing (not very good at the moment though :wink: ).

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
(@neztok)
Estimable Member

I'm good at making things harder than they really are. I enjoy it! OTHERS DO NOT.

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

Im good at Forcing myself to practice every day, even when i dont want to - i always manage to put an hour aside.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
 JKHC
(@jkhc)
Trusted Member

I'm amazing at complaining that an easy song is too hard to play, just so I can start messing around and playing songs I like. I'll learn it eventually. It will just take alot longer than its supposed to.

When we started the band, it was because we were waiting for a sound that never happened. We got tired of waiting, and we decided to just do it ourselves. - Mike Shinoda

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3