Skip to content
What do you think o...

Notifications
Clear all

What do you think of the Vintage VS6 SG?

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
13.2 K Views
(@fishyboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So I've been lucky enough to find an SG copy where I work which I brought home today on a borrow. Personally I think the SG shape is the most beautiful guitar in existance, it's just a beaut. I'd love an actual Gibson SG some day, with a tailpiece in cherry red. I'll probably end up with one some day and propose to it.

ANYWAY, I took this guitar out to give it a test drive. It's a bit on the light side, but that doesn't really bother me. I think it sounds pretty decent really, it has a much nicer tone compared with other copies I've tried. Basically they're wanting £110 for it; I can get it for £100. Is this a good price? I've looked online and prices generally vary. It'd be good to hear that some of you people own this guitar or have done previously. I'd like a second opinion, because I'm way too biased at the moment as I don't want to give it back!

(I think I posted this up in the right place...)

Cheers people :)

All the gear, but no idea.
http://www.youtube.com/user/93fishi/videos

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Never heard of that brand, but that sounds like about $170 US dollars. In my mind that's a fair price for a guitar that you like the sound, and feel of.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I spent some time reading the reviews - excellent! http://www.guitarbitz.com/guitars-c48/electric-guitars-c57/vintage-vs6-electric-guitar-cherry-p1258

The neck is set in, the materials are great, but I would never vouch for the pickups.

Playability is good too, and I agree with your assessment of the SG. I wanted one since 1964. Then I had 3, and in each case, they weren't for sale, but people managed to buy them for high prices. :shock: But I still have one SG, it is a 90's Guild S-100 from Westerly, Rhode Island.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Looks to be a good copy. Mahogony body and set neck.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@fishyboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your response guys, I'm really tempted. Only this morning, I gave it a good play, and realised that my hands smelt a bit when I came off the guitar. For some reason the fret board stinks of something or other; I go fishing and I can best describe the smell as maggots :/ no where else does it smell like that. What's wrong with it? Do you reckon the wood has gone rotten?

BTW you made me real jealous after I gave your jem of a guitar a research...
(drool) :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Maybe somehting someone put on it.... Maybe a good cleaning would help.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

The wood is likely OK. Sounds like someone owned it who didn't wash their hands before playing.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@fishyboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

That's disgusting man. Ah well, I'll get some cleaner on it....

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

I love vintage guitars, they rival or even surpass some epiphone IMO, for what is worth :D

Mine is a vintage Les Paul copy, and it is my gigging guitar, i have not found a better one for the same price yet.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Vintage is a brand name that seems to have been used by a lot of people. The Vintage brand, that you have, is probably the brain child of one Trevor Wilkinson, best known for the Wilkinson tremolos.

I've only seen a couple of Vintage guitars (both of them in Saigon), but they seemed well made. I'm sorry that I didn't buy one of them, they were about half UK price. Sadly, I was on my way to an island by plane - not condusive to a guitar's health.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

I was on my way to an island by plane - not condusive to a guitar's health.
I'm sure it's the best way to get that 'well-loved' look.

As for Vintage, I haven't managed to get my hands on one, but I was definitely after one when looking for my electric. Just couldn't find a shop that actually had their strat copy that I was after. The LP (V100?) gets a lot of fans, and generally people seem to like them. If you've tried it and it does the sounds you want then I guess the pickups are just fine.

As for the fretboard smell, more palatable alternative: maybe someone's used something unusual to oil it in the past? Whatever you want to believe.

ReplyQuote
(@fishyboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the responses people. I've been playing a lot on it recently and for the money I really can't fault it. It's in almost factory condition too, which is always a bonus. It seems to have a thicker tone than my Aria Les Paul copy, and just feels much nicer to play on. I think it would be foolish of me to leave this one.

SOLD!!!

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Good! Would you like a receipt? :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote