Clear all

What Got You Started?

27 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member

In grade school my parents made me take piano lessons, which of course I hated simply because they told me to do it. :wink: In college I started to get into music more and more (rather than just your normal radio friendly stuff), so I figured I'd look for a cheap keyboard or something to play around with. I thought about guitar but knew so many people who had tried it and quit that I thought it'd be too difficult.

When I was talking about this with my roommate he goes to his closet and pulls out an ibanez acoustic-electric that he bought for $40 from a friend that he said I could borrow. I tried to play some basic chords which sounded so terrible I quit for a few months thinking I was doing something wrong. Then I figured out that rusty, out of tune strings don't tend to sound very good regardless of skill, so once I got that fixed I actually began to have some fun.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I was in the 10th grade in high school. It was 1976 and one of the "cool" kids brought his new KISS album to homeroom. Our teacher was pretty laid back so he would let us play records. Prior to this I was not interested in music in the least. I heard the opening power chords to Dr. Love and I remember thinking, What is that sound! I have to hear more, so I bought KISS' Rock & Roll Over album. I didn't even have a record player, had to listen to it at my brother's house. The rest is history and yes, I still love that sound. I think I'll be making it later today. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

The guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I just wanted to get chicks! :twisted:

Ok, that was just one of the reasons. :wink: In 1976 my older cousin had my listen to his new KISS album. I was hooked on Ace Frehley's guitar playing. Then I got Led Zeppelin's 1st album for my birthday later that year. Jimmy Page. That was it. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member

I just wanted to get chicks! :twisted:

Ok I'll be honest. I'm changing my answer to this. :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Guitartist....I might have to copyright that :lol:

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm still snickering over "guitarded."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I started twice. First time was more than 20 years ago and I don't remember. Probably it was one of those activities you do in the school, I also participated in the theater group. (Curiously I'm engineer now.)

The second time was two years ago, in summer. I was in Lisbon, Portugal, seeing and listening fados. They use a Spanish guitar and a Portuguese guitar. The sound was amazing. When I got back at home I picked my guitar again.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

:lol: Aren't we all ?

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Very sort of maudlin memories...

1963 my dad brought home a HARMONY bobkat and a tiny 6" amp. He had some red-coloured 78rpm records, too: Django Rheinhardt. "You got all your fingers so maybe you'll play better than these records one day...or, there is this long-haired Bristish group you might like!" He handed me "Meet The Beatles"...

I was 12...and all these years later I offered it to my first two sons when they each turned 12. Nope. But the third boy??? He's had it for two years and, now at 14, can play the buhgeezus out of it!

Dad was an Italian immigrant...a tailor. He was looking for silks in Manhattan one September morning and never came home.

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

If I ever start a band....I know what I'm calling it now.
I was in the 10th grade in high school. It was 1976 and one of the "cool" kids brought his new KISS album to homeroom. Our teacher was pretty laid back so he would let us play records. Prior to this I was not interested in music in the least. I heard the opening power chords to Dr. Love and I remember thinking, What is that sound! I have to hear more, so I bought KISS' Rock & Roll Over album. I didn't even have a record player, had to listen to it at my brother's house. The rest is history and yes, I still love that sound. I think I'll be making it later today. :wink:

Hey TR...I think it was 1972/73ish, my older cousin was taking me to go see Edgar Winter in a small theater in the next town over. Some band that called themselves KISS was warming up for them. "Yuk. I dont want to see some stupid band that's going to sing love songs all night" is what I said..Then they took the stage and started to play. :shock: :shock: :shock: I was never the same after that.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Way too cool! 8) I stumbled on Molly Hatchet the same way. It was 1978 and they were the warm up for REO Speedwagon at my college. We were all saying, "Who is she?" :lol: I'd have rather seen the early version of KISS though.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2