Clear all

What guitar to buy next?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@gary58)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I know it's down to personal choice, but I have a chance to buy the last Fender 60th Anniversary Strat, or I could buy the Eric Clapton Artist Strat, both similar prices, if I by the Anniversary I would have to do it tomorrow, or risk never having one, but the Clapton will be around for a long time so no rush.

I've tried to think of all the advantages with each, but can't decide.

The Anniversary has "'57 pickups", like the Fiesta Red NOS, so has the Hank Marvin sound, which I play a lot, but has 5 way switching rather than 3 way, medium jumbo frets as apposed to small and is a collectors item.

The Clapton has noisless pickups and mid boost for a "blues sound".

As I said above, it's got to be my choice, but does anyone want to give any input?

Thanks,

Gary UK

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

If you are going for a specific sound then that would need to point you that direction.

However, if you just want a Great Strat, take a look at the American Deluxe. I've checked them all out and that is by far the nicest guitar for that money. Current US price is around $1200. A few extras come with that including a hard case, nice leather strap, strap locks and Trem arm. It also has the S-1 switching system and noiseless pups.

I've been pressed to find a better value.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@gary58)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I decided to buy the American 60th Anniversary just before Easter, at has '57 pups therefore the sound I wanted, the finsh and appearance is 100%.

May get an Eric Clapton Signature one day, noisless pups, active tone circuits, light blue and his signature!

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

They both sound like cool guitars but the Anniversary sounds just a little nicer. Good Choice

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Congrats on your purchase. :D

Enjoy the new toy.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@gary58)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

It was a hard choice, I would really like both, but the Clapton will be around for a while and the Anniversary finished at Christmas so seemed the logical choice.

My understanding is that the '57 pups on the Anniversary are the same as the ones on the Fiesta Red NOS that Cliff Richard brought back from the USA as a gift for Hank Marvin in approx. 1960, so the sound should be vitually the same, but it has bigger frets, 5 way pup switching as apposed to 3 way, and being sunburst looks much nicer! The sound through a Carlsbro 100 watt amp with tone controls set flat and half spring reverb sounds just like Hank Marvin, with that rich clean sound. Once I rig up the Korg processor with simulated multi tape head effect, as Hank used on his WEM continuouse tape loop, it should be perfect.

There are lots of people who may have no interest in Hank Marvin, or indeed never have heard his music, but his repertoir is considerable, and covers a lot more sounds and styles than the early "Apachy" and "Wonderful Land" (which I like and play). A formidable article was written by Eric Clapton praising Hank Marvin some years ago, which must count for something!

Best wishes everybody, hope the above was of some interest.

Gary UK

ReplyQuote