Skip to content
What is your favori...

Notifications
Clear all

What is your favorite song to improvise with?

15 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@midway-man)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was just wondering if there were other people who who got as much gradifecation improvising to other peoples albums, and what is your favorite. Same old song and dance... is mine!

"You can drive a song or you can make it sit still."

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Usually if I'm playing along with an album I'm trying to figure out note-for-note what's being done, either for performance or to show a student at a lesson. But for tunes to just take off on, I really like stuff with unexpected melodies, like Jobim's "Desifinado"

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 pxr5
(@pxr5)

Always liked dust of time by hawkwind. i turn the left speaker down to eliminate the original lead from the original tune. I havent played for a year so its been a while.

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

St James Infirmary - lifelong favourite!

(I found a great MIDI backing track for this somewhere on the Internet - can't remember where now - but I use it to finish my practice time most days ...)

ReplyQuote
(@midway-man)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

St James Infirmary - lifelong favourite!

(I found a great MIDI backing track for this somewhere on the Internet - can't remember where now - but I use it to finish my practice time most days ...)

I know, but a lot of thoughs things meny people take for granted these days are out of my rech right now. I''m in the stone age, but cummin up!

"You can drive a song or you can make it sit still."

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Neil Young's "Down by the River." It's one of my band's most requested numbers, and we rarely manage to get through it in less than 10 minutes and usually average about 15. Great second set jam tune.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I've got a few CD's that are just backing tracks, so I can jam along with something content-free. If I'm trying to work a solo to one of my own songs, then I just play a tape minus the vocal line and see what somes out.

Bet,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

St. James Infirmary's a favorite of mine, recently discovered. I love to mess around on "Summertime." Right now I've been sitting here doing that with "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

My favorite song to improv with is Django's "Minor Swing." It's got a catchy little head, and the 16-bar blues structure means you don't have to think to hard about the harmony aspects of things, so it's very easy to focus on the melody and run with it.

I don't improv with albums. When playing with a record, I'm focused on doing a note-for-note recreation of what's going on.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

St. James Infirmary's a favorite of mine, recently discovered. I love to mess around on "Summertime." Right now I've been sitting here doing that with "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone."

"Summertime" - whoa - that has almost too many memories! Used to be our big final number in one of my old bands, and I don't want to discuss the relationship that developed between the lead singer (female, right?) & myself. But that was all a very long time ago ...

"Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone" - now there's a tune. I must try that one out without delay ... Do you know, I can't remember ever having played it :shock:

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Black Magic Woman - Santana... Love to play to that, and White Room -Cream

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Neil Young's "Down by the River." It's one of my band's most requested numbers, and we rarely manage to get through it in less than 10 minutes and usually average about 15. Great second set jam tune.

I wore some grooves in that LP back in the day. I learned how to jam on that song :D :D --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed by-- you guessed it... :shock:

Awesome tune though, could go on for hours just jammin on that...

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Freedom Jazz Dance!

Nah, just kidding. I can barely play the head without having my fingers look like they'd been playing Twister.

ReplyQuote
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member

I've got a few CD's that are just backing tracks, so I can jam along with something content-free.

Do you know where I can pick up CD's like that? Karaoke shops or something like that?

And I like to improvise over "Put Your Lights On"- Santana w/Everlast

I pity the fool, but also suggest ways he might better himself.

ReplyQuote