Clear all

What is your Holy Grail?

49 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zdVg08h5r_E&feature=related

If I could play like that, I don't think I would need to touch a guitar again (but of course I would... ;))

FYI

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Probably La Villa Stangiato by Rush.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Ragamuffin, Aerial Boundaries, Rootwitch....Michael Hedges

although I no longer practice or listen to his stuff.
Talk about shooting for the stars!!!! If I could play Aerial Boundaries I would not be wanting in any fashion. Heck, if I could play 1% as good as Michael Hedges I'd be a happy guy.

That said, I'll shoot for Sofa No.1 written by Frank Zappa and as performed by Michael Hedges. Boy....if I could only play that song, that way,...I could see it now.....(initiate dream sequence)

The room is filled with a few people that could play guitar and the rest, people that have an appreciation for really good music. All of them my friends. I pick up the acoustic, begin to play Sofa No.1 and everyone becomes silent. After playing, I simply place the guitar on the stand next to me, pick up my coffee mug and smile as I stared at the pain of pure elation on everyone's faces.

Ok. Back to reality. :lol:
How about "Cry For You"-Andy Timmons

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

I have a dream that one day I will perform the entire 'A hard day's night' album. Small concert. 2 sets.

I just need to find three other people with the same bizarre fetish

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Oh man, I always wanted to do Jimi Hendrix's live version of Message of Love on the Band of Gypsies album. I spent months trying to copy every note on this album which is impossible. I did get so I could play most every song, but of course it sounded nothing like Hendrix.

There is one little note in this song that occurs from exactly 2:24 to 2:27 that absolutely blew me away, I would listen to it over and over, the best I could describe it is Jimi made his guitar growl like the meanest cat ever! :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNYGXMnIGWs&feature=related

Man, if I could make a guitar sound like that, I would be doin' alright!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

ehm a lot of Iron Maiden' songs, but let's choose "Aces high"

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Wow, you guys have your sights set pretty high.
I'll be pleased if I get good enough to play the solo from Dr Hook's Cover of the Rolling Stone. :lol:

But seriously folks...
I'm not targeting a specific song, but rather I want to be able to participate in an impromptu jam with anyone and be invited back.
That's when I'll have that "I've arrived" feeling.
Of course, by the time I get there, I'll probably have changed my target.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

This is a good one... post that is.

For me it would be Zep's Heartbreaker. Ever since my first teacher got me started on it all those years ago I never got around to learning the rest of it.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Basically any of the guitar solos by Brad Paisley.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

I'd love to learn to play "Blackbird" precisely as Paul did it. (As it is, I can't get past that darned intro, and I have days where I can't even play that! :roll:) Also, perhaps one day I'll get past the intro to "Classical Gas", which I currently use as a finger warmup.

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

You haven't heard them yet...but (I hope!) you will. I've been getting my three teen sons prepped to record their first album: "I Don't Care".

As ANY dad might appreciate...the whole IDEA of pulling this off is nothing shy of actually finding the Hold Grail!

Knock on wood...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

You haven't heard them yet...but (I hope!) you will. I've been getting my three teen sons prepped to record their first album: "I Don't Care".

As ANY dad might appreciate...the whole IDEA of pulling this off is nothing shy of actually finding the Hold Grail!

Knock on wood...

Cat

Indeed. That IS the holy grail of being a musician-type dad! Now you're going to have to try to resist offering your opinion on their "look" for the cover art. ..."Now I want you to look nice but have an attitude."..."look like you have an edge to you but also try to look like you are approachable." :lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Hey, Matt...good insight. There's LOTS of stuff associated with the project besides the outright music. But we've got lOTS going for us...

I've been "close to the fire" on more than a few very successful projects...so the ropes are familiar. The whole family's involved...everything from a Law Degree (Talent Management) for Mom to a brand new studio, building and all. One kid's halfway through a Bach in Modern Music (Digital Recording Engineering) and the others are well and truly forging ahead now that they "know how to play".

One of the BIGGEST obstacles was Playstation 3... :roll: But now that they are actually finding some pride in what they are accomplishing...my wish to "let them decide how serious they want to be" was apt. If I had forbidden certain diversions I wondered how honest they'd be about how serious they were gonna get!

Both (guitarist, almost 15 and bassist, almost 17) have now been actively courted to play in quite a few local bands...but they pick and choose. For the moment we're looking for a good drummer and a teeny bopper cutie to front the act. They've got a decent drummer...but he's still flip-flopping over the Dedication Issue. As for the teeny bopper cutie...it's funny to watch them interact with the prospects...or watch Mom watch me interact with the prospects!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

All in all, this is quite a weird ride for me. I'm more than 40 years older than the little guy so from time to time (if a mirror ain't around!) I get to think I'm 15 again!!!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Several songs got me interested in guitar and would have qualified as answers 5 years ago. Those were Brothers In Arms - Dire sraits, Comfortably Numb Solos - Pink Floyd and Little Wing - SRV's version. However, too many long breaks and a narrow focus on rhythm has gotten me no nearer these songs than I was 5 years ago. Someday when the ears get better.....

Now I gotta think about this question for the type of music I play. I can play American Pie. That was pretty high up on my list of things to play.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

No doubt in my mind that you would have a good handle on things Cat. Sounds like you are giving them plenty of freedom to make the commitment on their own. The PS3 decision is a good one. Afterall, they have to be kids first and playing PS3 in in the offical "kid rule book". I think its chapter 9 paragragh 7 "...Thou shall play PS3!" :)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4