Notifications
Clear all

What is your Holy Grail?

49 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

No doubt in my mind that you would have a good handle on things Cat. Sounds like you are giving them plenty of freedom to make the commitment on their own. The PS3 decision is a good one. Afterall, they have to be kids first and playing PS3 in in the offical "kid rule book". I think its chapter 9 paragragh 7 "...Thou shall play PS3!" :)

I checked my sons' rule book and their copy says XBOX 360. :D

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I checked my sons' rule book and their copy says XBOX 360. :D

Ah yes, that's listed in Chapter 10 under "How to Spend Your Parent's Money I would encourage you to continue reading because that chapter discusses the reasons why children NEED both XBox and the PS3. Note: Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have obtained editor rights to the Kid Rule Book (KRB) and are said to be adding new entries into the Parent Psychology 101 section.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

On a serious note...to other dads out there:

I'm usually in a bind with my boys. We get on as good as a religious man could pray for (although I avoid choich religiously). So being their "friend" and being their "dad" it a tough thing to balance.

My oldest (19) is topping his university classes in recording engineering...the youngest (almost 15) plays six string WELL beyond his years...but the middle one (almost 17) was more into gaming than his bass...and it showed.

One day...as we were looking at a prospect for vocals this gal brought her boyfriend over. He also brought a bass with him. My son was more uptight about that then I can tell you. Later, I told him that at the rate he was going he'd either make a gread roadie...or a crappy bassist...and the choice was entirely his.

THAT was as tough on me to say to the kid than you dads out there can imagine.

To my surprise...he got a job chasing supermarket carts...and now pays for his own lessons.

WHEW! Chalk one up for Tough Love!!!

Now? Well, he's rapidly forging ahead and is coming up with some nice stuff around his brother's six string work. It's great to see! :wink:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

It IS a tough balance, but in my book you're a Dad #1 and a buddy #2. As long as you keep the order in perspective it works. My wife has a hard time with it sometimes. Our kids are young, so I haven't had the big issues (yet) but I don't think it is a bad thing to say "no" for no reason. Need to set boundaries.

Anyway, good point on the "good roadie or crappy bassist" - love the line!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

There's more then life then music, and there are other creative outlets then music. If someone is more into games then music then he should be stimulated into developing that way instead of being 'softly' persuaded into spending more time on music. Playing bass is a very shallow development compared with the visual, verbal and philosophical richness modern games offer. The games industry is also containing much more (diverse) job prospects as well as creating a much larger flow of money compared with the music industry. Apart from that I'd personally consider every carreer opportunity except the ones my dad suggested, only complete tossers listen to their dad when their young.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

G'day, Ignar...cold enough for you over there??? It's sweltering here in the rainforest and I'll NEVER get used to Sanny Klaus in the heat!

Yeah...I understand what you are on about but THAT's why I didn't "ban the games" and let him sort it out for himself. My wife just wanted to prohibit all that stuff...but when I was his age, "no-one could tell me nothing".

Still...and you can BET on this Ignar: when you have a family your own perspective will change rather drastically!!! :?

This Dad Thing is one weird ride...but, then, I've always appreciated weird!

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

It IS a tough balance, but in my book you're a Dad #1 and a buddy #2. As long as you keep the order in perspective it works. My wife has a hard time with it sometimes. Our kids are young, so I haven't had the big issues (yet) but I don't think it is a bad thing to say "no" for no reason. Need to set boundaries.

Anyway, good point on the "good roadie or crappy bassist" - love the line!

+10- You have to be a dad first. No doubt about it. I have a great relationship with my kids. It's like we are best friends. Every so often I have to remind them that I am their dad. More my son than my daughter. I guess its b'cuz I play hockey with him and have coached him for so long.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Heh, I hope my perspective will change or I'll be the most irresponsible dad the world has ever seen. :P Seriously though, I've been 'dad' for almost six months and it was long enough for me (had to take care of the 3-yo child of an alchoholic friend of my ex-girlfriend, childsupport would have send the kid straight to her coke-abusing father which wouldn't have made much of an improvement so I figured I'd give it a shot). You'll much braver then I am, you've got my respect for sure! 8)

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Hey, Arjen.
I wouldn't mind being your kid . . . having a musical daddy would be kewl. :mrgreen:
You wanna adopt me?

Oh, My Holy Grail (I could die happy playing) would be Blue Sky the way The Allman Brothers played it.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Maybe "little grails"...or at least sips outta the chalice! I showed my youngest a VERY difficult set of chords that flow through the ubiquitous R/4/5 routine. In fact, the positioning doesn't come any harder. It took him a week...but...shaky as it may be...he's got it. Listening to the other son's bass line he came up with for it caused me to unstrap my own guitar the other day and leave them to it. It was so much like the time I took the training wheels off their bikes and gave them that last push.

Coming up on #58 seems a bit easier. Ya GOTTA wonder from time to time "was it all worth it" as far as picking up a guitar rather than a law degree. You young guys just getting on in life will see what I mean when you, too, get there. I highly recommend a listen to the Deja Vu album (CSNY)...a true gem of composition and musicianship...most especially, "Teach Your Children".

Still, there's work to do. Next "little grail" is to see that they put some finesse into their hands. I mean, I'm just NOT hearing it. Holding a chord's right enough...but it's all in the touch, really. But this is tougher than I thought it would be. I've picked out some stuff for them to go over...like "On The Road" by Canned Heat. SIMPLE chordings but DIFFICULT finesse.

Yep...my Hold Grail's pretty much rounding out the fellas so they can feel what they play!

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I learned to sing well by singing along to the Beatles 62-66. If I could play the guitar along with as well, I'd be feeling a holy something or another.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I learned to sing well by singing along to the Beatles 62-66. If I could play the guitar along with as well, I'd be feeling a holy something or another.

Yep...same here. 'Cept the singing wasn't what you'd call "well"...but in key, at least. So I figured I'd suggest this to my oldest (19) and WHAT was the reply???? "I don't really like The Beatles, Dad."

Now...as I drive around doing errands or whatnot the question's always under my breath: "What???? He what???"

Sheesh!

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@misspatty86)

Hahaha if I was capable of even playing the guitar, any song would be great to learn.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hahaha if I was capable of even playing the guitar, any song would be great to learn.

Sounds like you need to start playing some Free Jazz. Just repeat the really horrible notes and you'll be a star in the scene before you know it. :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Ya know, Ignar...you aren't kidding! (Let's hear it for Herr Streudle Boss! :lol: ) If you DO screw up...make sure you do it again the next pass. This is entirely true. However...you better hope the rest of the crew is ready to exploit the screw up when it comes around again...or as you go ahead and "lean into it" you'll be left hangin' out on that proverbial clothesline!

Cat

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4