What is your playing level?

40 Posts
36 Users
0 Likes
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Slightly better than yesterday and never as good as I'd like... :wink:

Peace

Can't think of a better way to say it. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

Hard for me to say, cause I don't think I'm all that good but almost everyone who hears me play say I'm pretty good. I guess I'm tryig to be modest and not say I'm good so that it will help motivate me to try harder and practice even more. I guess that's my answer. LOL great topic! :)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

My guitar playing is like the old nursery rhyme:

There was a little girl who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead.
And, when she was good she was very very good.
But when she was bad she was horrid.

8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

My guitar playing is like the old nursery rhyme:

There was a little girl who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead.
And, when she was good she was very very good.
But when she was bad she was horrid.

8)

Which is exactly as it should be -- be really good, be really bad, but never be boring.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Just thought I'd throw this out for discussion... I have a feeling this was already done somewhere, but I couldn't locate it...Nice poll, very interesting!

I voted "If you saw me playing at a bar you wouldn't run away screaming"... although the chances of seeing me playing at a bar just yet are slim-to-none - I've got to get a few more songs down to a level I'm happy with (no cheat sheets for lyrics for a start, no sounding terrible for the first 5 minutes etc), and also work up a little more bottle :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

where is the holy crap you suck button ... thats me so I went for Newbie

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I voted for the "Good - I can hang with most musicians", I don't have the fastest chops, but I keep playing.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member

Good - I can hang with most musicians...i stay in key and have a good meter. wish i could sing better...that's a different poll :)

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

"Mary had a 'lil lamb" for me.

But then what do you expect for only having been playing for 5 months.

I suck a bit less each week. At least I think I do

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

There's a huge gap between "I can play some chords and notes" and the "pretty good" option. I guess I fall somewhere between these two - closer to the first option than the second of the two.

I can play some barre chords with a degree of confidence but I can't play Mary had a little lamb. Does this mean I'm trying to run before I can walk. :D

Whatever category I fit into I am still very much a noob

EDIT: The following question is now the subject of anaother thread in order to avoid the risk of hijacking this one.

This also raises another interesting question. At what point did you stop telling people you were learning to play the guitar and start telling them you play the guitar. Was it after a period of time or the number of songs learnt? Just curious.

FWIW I'm very much learning to play the guitar. :wink:

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

If you saw me playing at a bar you wouldn't run away screaming; interesting level! lol but prob. me right now! :)

quote: "This also raises another interesting question. At what point did you stop telling people you were learning to play the guitar and start telling them you play the guitar. Was it after a period of time or the number of songs learnt? Just curious"

I think thats a very good question!

For me it was once I could sit down and play a few songs that people could recognise and sing to; basically the point where if you were in a bar and someone called you up on being able to play, you could, and not have to make an excuse 'cos you actually couldn't really play anything recognisable.

Perhaps this question could be the topic of another thread, kinda going off topic here! :)

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Hmm... I'm STILL learning to play guitar!

I don't tell prospective students that, though :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Perhaps this question could be the topic of another thread, kinda going off topic here! :)

Pete

Good point, well presented. I'll start a new thread asking this question. Don't want to hijack a perfectly good thread.

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I choose the 20 songs and jam only because I've never played live. I'm forming a band this summer though. gonna play the blues...

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Compared to where I want to be, I'm a total newb.

What's great is I can still charge other folks who are even newber for lessons :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3