Skip to content
What non-guitar alb...

Notifications
Clear all

What non-guitar album can you not stop listening too?

19 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have a couple of cd's that have little to no guitar on them. The one I really can't get away from is "The Legendary Ella Fitzgerald, Volume 1: The Early Years" it's her in front of Chick Webb's Orchestra and it just flat out swings like nothing I've ever heard. I can't get enough of it.

I can just imagine sitting in the Savoy and watching her live . . .

What non-guitar CD just hits all your musical buttons?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm..

When you say non-guitar, does that mean there can't be any guitar in the music? I think almost everything I listen to has some guitar, although it may not be the dominant instrument.

I really like listening to Sly and the Family Stone. The bass is very dominant, but Sly played keyboards. There is good guitar in there. But I always especially enjoyed the horn section. One of my favorite all-time bands.

I like Chicago for the same reason, old Blood Sweat and Tears too.

I really like listening to Elton John play piano and Billy Joel too. I also enjoy Thelonius Monk.

I love Tom Waits, man, you hear all sorts of instruments in his songs. That guy is a genius.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

"St Elsewhere" by Gnarls Barkley

Jeff

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Bob Marley and the Wailers - Legend.

All the Simon and Garfunkel Albums.

The Postal Service album.

The Smiths - Meat is Murder.

Alot of others...

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

any beastie boys album, although some of their songs have guitars in it.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i love the Peter Malick Group's "New York City" EP with Norah Jones. i don't think that has any guitar in it. solid jazz album, and norah's voice is just so sexy.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

'Rubycon' & 'Stratosfear' from Tangerine Dream: eerie and beautiful
'Blade Runner' Soundtrack from Vangelis
'Barramundi: Introduction to a Cooler World' the first Barramundi Sampler -- various artists
'Nine Objects of Desire' from Suzanne Vega
'Trailer Park' from Beth Orton: she plays guitar, but it's not guitar-centric. found out recently the album was inspired by Blade Runner
'Woodface' by Crowded House: also has guitars, but it's simply some of the most finely crafted pop around
'Action Figure Party' by Action Figure Party -- various artists: modern take on jazz and jazz-blues
'Supreme Beings of Leisure' by the Supreme Beings of Leisure: space funk R&B
'Midnite Vultures' - Beck (Hanson): send-up, hipster tribute to R&B & funk
'Greatest Hits' - Barenaked Ladies: just plain fun, over and over and over

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

The Silence of the Balkans - Goran Bregovic

Moroccan Spirit - Moroccan Spirit

Spiral - Hiromi

Duets - Rob Wasserman

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

Most Nine inch nails doesn't have guitars, and I pretty much enjoy all of it. Emphasis on The Fragle though.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member

Lately it's Petra Haden Sings: The Who Sell Out.

It's a completely acappella cover of the entire Who Sell Out album done with Petra's voice simulating the instruments and doing the vocals. I think it's brilliant.

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way. - A.J. Muste

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Two Gentlemen from County Clare. Gerdie Commane on concertina and Joe Ryan on fiddle, just an amazing look at two men playing for the pure love of the music. THe album was recorded in Gerdie's kitchen and gives a clear picture of the regional style of Clare

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Voodoo, I'm surprised at that. I can't think of Simon and Garfunkel albums without thinking of guitar. Paul Simon is a highly celebrated guitarist whose great arrangements, such as Scarborough Fair, Kathy's Song and April Come She Will, have inspired millions of guitarists to learn fingerstyle. He was certainly my earliest guiding light.

As for the question - I vote Anthony and the Johnsons "I am a Bird now" and Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love".

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Voodoo, I'm surprised at that. I can't think of Simon and Garfunkel albums without thinking of guitar. Paul Simon is a highly celebrated guitarist whose great arrangements, such as Scarborough Fair, Kathy's Song and April Come She Will, have inspired millions of guitarists to learn fingerstyle. He was certainly my earliest guiding light.

As for the question - I vote Anthony and the Johnsons "I am a Bird now" and Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love".

Sure there are some great guitar parts. But, by far and large, S&G's music is about the lyrics not the guitar playing. You dont hear any wicked solos or memorable riffs really. And no serious guitarist will ever note one of their albums for its exceptional guitar playing. Paul is a song writer first and a guitarist second.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Vangelis - Bladerunner

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Sure there are some great guitar parts. But, by far and large, S&G's music is about the lyrics not the guitar playing. You dont hear any wicked solos or memorable riffs really. And no serious guitarist will ever note one of their albums for its exceptional guitar playing. Paul is a song writer first and a guitarist second.
Yes - I agree Paul Simon is a song writer more than a guitarist. And it's true, you don't hear wicked solos - he is an acoustic guitarist (I don't know if I've ever heard him play electric). And technically he isn't in the same class as acoustic guitarists such as Leo Kottke.
That's why I said 'celebrated guitarist'. I remember that at the height of his popularity in the 60s, as I was struggling with the basics of guitar playing, virtually every acoustic guitarist I knew wanted to play and sing those songs. We could all strum Dylan songs but if you could play a Paul Simon fingerstyle song, well you were in a different league.
As you said, no serious guitarist will ever note any of his albums for its exceptional guitar playing, but many serious acoustic guitarists (of a certain age) will recall the enormous influence his arrangements had on them and the inspiration they gained while just starting to learn the guitar. For them, as for me, he will always be closely associated with the guitar. That's why I was surprised that you could think of him as someone who produced great NON GUITAR albums.

Sorry all, to come off topic. Let me give another one - Zero Time by Tonto's Expanding Headband :)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2