Skip to content
What Rolling Stones...

Notifications
Clear all

What Rolling Stones album do you guys/gals recommend?

19 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Don't forget to use "Keef" tuning!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@neztok)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I just ordered the book LIFE by Keith for my Kindle. I'm well on my way, boys.

Well on my way.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

First, to answer the question....... 'exile. Much kudos to several others. It was Sticky Fingers for a long, long time for me. By virtue of Sticky Fingers and 'Exile existing, Let it Bleed has to take a back seat. It would be the number 1 album for 99% of the acts out there around 1970. A real cover to cover listen. I can see someone skipping a song or two on 'exile. Heck, they covered and mixed any and every genre they could for 18 songs. It's a journey through music. Let it Blead, though, is right up there with Sticky Fingers as far as 1/2 dozen songs with 80% of them being classic FM mainstream.
Where is ROY ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Adjusting for a while. Not ready for prime time commenting. Better now.
Don't forget to use "Keef" tuning!
...and don't forget to ditch the 6th. Sell it to the mafia or something. Oh, and the dual amp thing, too. I'm working on a GT-10 patch that does just that.
Nah - you need a Telecaster and a bottle of Jack Daniels for the Stones.
Ronnie does the Strat and smoke thing. Not everyone can be keef. :lol:
I couldn't escape the DREADED horns while listening to Sticky Fingers.
To each their own. during concerts, they do a center stadium mini-set using the basic 5. (2-3 guitars, 1 bass, drums and Mick) The horns and keys were a huge part of their sound. My favorite example is song 1 on 'Exile. "Rocks Off".

Just some DIRT, BLUES and Rock n' Roll is all I'm looking for.
'Exile would take a few listens for you and very well might not fit the bill. They cover a lot of ground on that one. Perhaps Let It Bleed might be the best fit.

A very under-rated and often overlooked 'Stones entry is the '97 album, "Bridges to Babylon". More modern, of course, then their hottest streak +/- a few years of 1970. The album is tight as a drum. Right before that one is a sort of mixed album. A partially live album, partially re-recorded live in studio and whatever else they could think to do called Stripped. It has my favorite versions of several of their older songs ("Wild Horses", "Love in Vain", "Slipping Away" to name a few) and a couple covers they've never released. ("Like a Rolling Stone" by Dylan and "Little Baby" by Willie Dixon")
Sorta like how I think ROCKS from Aerosmith is their coolest.
I can never decide between "Get Your Wings" and "Rocks".

Par for the course, I rambled and I apoligize. :oops: :oops:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

First, to answer the question....... 'exile. Much kudos to several others. It was Sticky Fingers for a long, long time for me. By virtue of Sticky Fingers and 'Exile existing, Let it Bleed has to take a back seat. It would be the number 1 album for 99% of the acts out there around 1970. A real cover to cover listen. I can see someone skipping a song or two on 'exile. Heck, they covered and mixed any and every genre they could for 18 songs. It's a journey through music. Let it Blead, though, is right up there with Sticky Fingers as far as 1/2 dozen songs with 80% of them being classic FM mainstream.

We're defntely on the same wavelength here, Roy!
their hottest streak +/- a few years of 1970.

'68 - Beggars Banquet
'69 - Let It Bleed
'70 - Ya-Yas
'71 - Sticky Fingers
'72 - Exiles
'73 - Goat's Head Soup
'74 - It's Only Rock'n'Roll

That's one HECK of a hot streak!
A very under-rated and often overlooked 'Stones entry is the '97 album, "Bridges to Babylon". More modern, of course, then their hottest streak +/- a few years of 1970. The album is tight as a drum. Right before that one is a sort of mixed album. A partially live album, partially re-recorded live in studio and whatever else they could think to do called Stripped. It has my favorite versions of several of their older songs ("Wild Horses", "Love in Vain", "Slipping Away" to name a few) and a couple covers they've never released. ("Like a Rolling Stone" by Dylan and "Little Baby" by Willie Dixon")

Agreed, 100%. First time I heard "You'll Never Make A Saint Of Me," I shot straight out to the record shop and bought BTB. The "Stripped" album is pretty hot, too - even better is the DVD, although I've still got it on VHS, taped off the TV, along with a TV recording of the Voodoo Lounge tour. That was another hot period for the Stones.
Just some DIRT, BLUES and Rock n' Roll is all I'm looking for.

Ya-yas fits that bill perfectly. Stripped-down, basic Stones.....just the band, and Ian Stewart on piano, I think. Stray Cat Blues and Love In Vain are great versions.....the two Chuck Berry covers are great R'n'r, and it definitely qualifies as DIRTY!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2