Skip to content
What Things Are You...

Notifications
Clear all

What Things Are You Working On Now, And Why?

61 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Oh - And I wasn't kidding about Bow Wow Wow....
What could be better - Punk with the Bo Diddley Beat!

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Good topic!

I'm always working on something-or-other... here's some of the current list:

I'm devoting more time to classical guitar technique lately... why: I've picked up a number of new classical students.

I'm startining to compose a cycle of preludes for classical guitar... why: I'm spending more time on classical guitar lately :)

I'm working with Kingpatzer and David Hodge to develop a curriculum for the Sunday Composer's Workshop... why: because I think it's a great idea, because I love composing, and because I think it might do some good.

I'm also working on a big project business wise... why: because music is pretty much all I do, and I'm seeing opportunity.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Oh - And I wasn't kidding about Bow Wow Wow....
What could be better - Punk with the Bo Diddley Beat!

Ken

didn't think you were.

BD beat I can get into. Just trying to imagine Nick singing Candy. heh! Tho was thinking about having him give punkish To Sir with Love a try, so maybe not such a stretch. Oh yeah, and Pretty Fly for a White Guy (whaddya say, Nick baby!?)

Others I forgot: Psychokiller, Try a Little Tenderness, Lust for Life, Movie Star, Pretty in Pink, and possibly Song for the Dumped ("... and don't forget to gimme back my black tee shirt!")

and been asked to do a little recording while in Chicago this summer.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

Why- just bought a 12-string.
So I'm working thru my reportoire to see where the 12 string belongs and where it doesn't.
Am sampling some alternate chord voicings with it. And trying to decide if metal fingerpicks
will ever work fingerstyle on it.

Still working on (6 string)
Livin' on a Prayer (Paldanius style)
It Could Have Been (Bogershausen)
because they are a challenge and I like them (they'd be recognizable if you heard me try them).

Also working on
It Never Gets Easier (Muriel Anderson, on classical guitar)
Peanuts Theme (same)
Vincent (Chet Atkin's style instrumental on classical)
but the Classical has to wait for my fingernails to grow back after a breakage.

Working on (6 string)
Margaritaville
Gilligan's Island
Hotel California
because of a possible campout later in the summer- these for others to sing to as I play my $100 guitar.

And reviewing the Don Mclean, Gordon Lightfoot and Jim Croce selections in the arsenal.

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

What Things Are You Working On Now, And Why OK, you did say "things"; :D

At present, I just finished up on building a "talk box" from info that I picked up on youtube & other sites. Mounted a 4" speaker in an old protein container, duck taped a funnel to the top & it sounds pretty good. A lot better than I had expected. So, from here I am getting ready to order an actual driver like they use in the factory ones, probably a pyle or similar, so I can build a "pro" model.

It is a fun project. If you can seal it up good to get most/all of the sound to come out of the funnel/tube, it does sound really good.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Greg,

And here I was thinking that To Sir With Love would work perfectly with the same type of rhythm of the drums in Elvis Costello's Pump It Up, especially since I think it does the same kind of I - bVII progression (read "D to C" if you're following Lulu / "B to A" if you're copying the illustrious Mr. MacManus).

*sigh* Nick gets all the fun stuff... :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, I'm really wanting to hear the punk version of To Sir With Love. Gnease, you got it posted anywhere?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

OK, I'm really wanting to hear the punk version of To Sir With Love. Gnease, you got it posted anywhere?

Got to work up the arrangement with a few of the the usual accomplices. Ask again in August, might have a recording then if it works out.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

And guess what? Just listened to the "Lulu plus 40" version on youtube and it's in B! Well, it starts in A (A to B to D to A) and then moves to G# and C#m before going to B then E and finally pounding on on F# to go to the B to A bit in the chorus. I'll try to work up a rough copy MP3 later in the week if time allows...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member

I'm a beginner so my "what" and "why" are not nearly as impressive but here goes...focusing mostly on working through Blues You Can Use, specifically I'm currently finishing up "Bending the Blues". Also working on getting my second full song down, Born Under a Bad Sign by Albert King (although I would love to figure out the Jimi Hendrix cover version of the same, who knows, maybe one day). Outside of that, been slowly expanding the BYCU scale practice routines to include more lead improv. over various keys and backing tracks (the later just for the pure pleasure of it).

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Greg,

And here I was thinking that To Sir With Love would work perfectly with the same type of rhythm of the drums in Elvis Costello's Pump It Up, especially since I think it does the same kind of I - bVII progression (read "D to C" if you're following Lulu / "B to A" if you're copying the illustrious Mr. MacManus).

*sigh* Nick gets all the fun stuff... :wink:

Peace

geez, didn't think this would be so popular. no reason we can't get a dual vocal. let's work on it in late June, if I get up to Mass.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

I've been working on building speed mostly. Basically taking an exercise at 60bpm, playing it over and over until I can play if perfectly and relaxed then increase the speed by 1bpm and repeat the whole process. Mostly my timing is getting pretty good but time and time again I notice the one thing keeping me from learning certain songs is speed. I figure it's my greatest weakness so I should devote strength to it.

I'm also working on Breed by Nirvana. I've tried it a couple times but the song is so unbelievably fast my arm was going to fall off! So it's either get more speed or train a centipede to fret for me.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I've been working on building speed mostly. Yeah, I guess I forgot to mention that, too. I have been working on sweep picking, clean and accurate that is. And my alternate picking speed can use some attention as well. :roll:

ReplyQuote
 vgo
(@vgo)

Interesting thread!

I'm working on speed too and I use the song Aces High by Iron Maiden to do that. I can't quite yet play it cleanly in full speed, but I've been practicing it with Guitar Pro for about a week now and I've made huge progress.

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

I'm working on a solo arrangement of "somewhere over the rainbow" that tommy haslip did. Crazy modal insanity, really fun. Then I'm going to take the real book version, pull it to pieces, throw in a few crazy substitutions, get some crazy ambient electronic sounds involved, a few horns, and perform a full band arrangement of my own by the end of the year. Why? Because i like to mess with stuff.

Also working on a funk tune, "for the record" by stanton moore. Tho i play a les paul style guitar, i love the melody and chords of this song and think i can do funk pretty well despite of my gear clashing with the style.

Working really hard on playing over the changes in this one because they are a little tricky in spots to keep it sounding funky and harmonically indicative. Lots of dorian with some diminished scales and a bit of arpeggio work is what i'm focusing on.

I am working on "Bouree" by Bach. Nice little classical (sic baroque) piece that i love to play coz i can put emotion into it.

I am also working on songs for two original bands, and some pop stuff i am playing for singer friends, as well as putting together repertoir for my school band, mostly James Brown, stevie wonder sorta dancey funk.

That plus my recording, teaching and genre assignments, in that order, for school, and currently planning a lesson for my student in about an hour.

Phewww.

I wish i got paid for this stuff.

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5