Notifications
Clear all

What to buy: new guitar

22 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Rahul: I have many guitars, and only one is close to being a Strat (G&l S500); but admittedly none are LPs or LP clones. Taso can like his LP without my interference or comment, though I will correct his "a Strat is thin" comment. A Strat has a scooped midrange, as opposed to a LPs dominant midrange. But even that can be changed as Clapton does with his mid-boost. That produces a smoother tone with the high-end articulation and clarity that a LP won't have. But not everyone likes that.

Anyway, back OT. I've done a lot of acoustic auditioning lately, and agree that a Martin HD-28 and it's variants (but NOT a D-28) are the best sounding Martins. Taylor fans like the characteristic ease of playing and that Taylor "zingy" sound, but I'm not a particular fan of that, even though I have Taylor T5. But I will say that if you want to go acoustic-electric, consider a Taylor T5, as it is one of the best guitars to bridge the acoustic and electric worlds. If you like the feel of a Taylor, but more the timbre of a Martin, try a Taylor GS series. The Gibson Hummingbird and J200 are worth condidering as they are two more archetypes in the acoustic world. Other mass marketed guitars to try are Larivee, Rainsong, Babicz (sp?), Tacoma (have one, like it a lot), Epiphone Elitist line, Ovation (will be love it or hate it, especially electrically), Seagull (very affordable), Guild, Yamaha (not flashy, but great value), Alvarez ... Nick will have some other names to add, such as Collings, Parker ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

*Checks basement* ...Gnease and Arjen are...slightly tied up, at the moment. :twisted:

Yeah, but gnease did happen to catch the real, living breathing Les Paul a few weeks ago in NYC.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

*Checks basement* ...Gnease and Arjen are...slightly tied up, at the moment. :twisted:

Yeah, but gnease did happen to catch the real, living breathing Les Paul a few weeks ago in NYC.
Verrry cool.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

BrokenE, you might want to contact this gent. Here is a link to a post he made on this site.

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=33950&sid=a48a032b480f00d897176537e8af8211

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

LOL, good linkup Jim-Bone!! 8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Thanks Bish, we gotta look out for each other!

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@brokene)
Topic starter  

Guys,

Thanks for all the advise. I guess I just need to go to the store and do some test-driving. :)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2