Notifications
Clear all

What tunes are you learning right now?

35 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
(@mr-blue-eyes)
Trusted Member

On guitar I'm learning Steve Hackett's solo from Firth of Fifth, which is really easy considerating is from early Genesis.

On paino I'm learning Ultravox's Vianna aswell as working on my own song hopefully I'll get into recording once I get a bit of money coming in :D

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Huh...I'm learning a Steve Hackett tune as well....Horizons.

Other songs: The Most Beautiful Sky - Stephen Bennett
Shy - Keirnan Murphy
Classical Gas

Any many others. Wish I could learn them a bit faster....

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@georgejw22)
Trusted Member

I've been slaving over;

Metallica - One and Nothing Else Matters
Cross Canadian Ragweed - Alabama
Black Crowes - She Talks to Angels
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Alan Jackson - Midnight In Montgomery
Eric Clapton - Running on Faith
Bad Company - Seagull
Garth Brooks - Shameless
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

Nothing real difficult yet. Mainly finger picking and short lead songs.

All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff. ~ Frank Zappa
I've got blisters on my fingers. ~Ringo Starr
Music is spiritual. The music business is not. ~ Van Morrison

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I'm working on a lot of the same ones I've been working on since forever:

Wonderful World - Eva Casssidy version
Songbird - Eva Cassidy version
Autumn Leaves - Eva Cassidy version
Mind Games - John Lennon
Lonestar - Norah Jones
Kathy's Song - Paul Simon
Road Tripping - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Dani California - Red Hot Chili Peppers
I Will - The Beatles

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'd love to find a single guitar arrangement for that song that isn't something only a seasoned vet could handle.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

"Come and go Blues" by Gregg Allman.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

All by ear, in no particular order:

-Sweet Painted Lady: Elton John- This is an old tune. Loved it when I first heard it and still do.
-Even Less: Porcupine Tree- Cool tune
- Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before it is Recycled: Porcupine Tree- This one is really challenging me. But I love it.
- Luckiest Man: The Wood Brothers - Love this song. It's real easy to play. I'm trying to get the strumming down just the right way
- Rescue Blues: Ryan Adams- another easy tune

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I'd love to find a single guitar arrangement for that song that isn't something only a seasoned vet could handle.

The Eva Cassidy version is just simple arpeggios of easy chords. course, the song depends on her voice but the guitar part is pretty easy....

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Lol, I've actually failed miserably at practising either of my two tunes. Partly because I've been busy cussing at my computer and wishing techie stuff was designed for blondes, and partly because I can't find my disc with the Robben Ford tune on it. I'm tempted to start with the TAB and have glanced over at it on my shelf a couple of times, I just know its better if I at least attempt to suss it by ear first.

I'm gonna get onto it tomorrow. (my catchphrase)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

One that came up on my WMP was "Can't Get Enough" by Bad Company - I was told that was in an open tuning, but it's not that hard in standard - solo et al. I'm still working on it, just twiddling the nuances, you know what I mean? I'll submit it to the ESD when I'm sure I've got it right.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

I'm working on Another brick in The Wall PART 2 by Pink Floyd

I'm doing good, I got pretty much all the song before the solo. I'm practicing the solo right now and I'm doing good too, but still work to do on the bend!

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Crash into me by DMB - So much fun to play! If you have an acoustic guitar, learn this song now.

Drive by Incubus - Just learned this one today. Very simple tune. The lyrics are the highlight of this song.

Don't know why by Pat Metheny - His rendition of this is pure beauty. Check it out on youtube and try it out. Its kicking my butt so far.

A case of you by Joni Mitchell - Classic! Its also a pretty nice song to jazz up a bit. The progression for the intro is perfect and memorable.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member

Bob Marley - Redemption Song: Every single source I find for the tab has different chords...
Cake - Stickshifts & Safetybelts: pinky hammer ons and pull offs are fun on an acoustic
RHCP - Under the Bridge: trouble getting this up to speed, and trouble with the timing on the chorus (I don't ever wanna feeel)
I've been playing around with a nice arrangement of Stella by Starlight too. I've been trying to get back towards really perfecting the songs that I learn. I think we all fall into the trap of moving on before they're really finished.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

that Giltrap tune is a lil harder than I originally thought. :shock: and I'm still searching for my Robben Ford cd. :roll: If I don't find it by the weekend, I'm choosing summat else to get on with in the meantime.

the Giltrap thang is great fun, but hard work!! Will pay dividends once I'm comfortable with it, though. Part of the problem is that I'm trying to learn it with the 'proper' technique, which means using my ring finger on bits I'd naturally use my middle finger, and it keeps throwing me, lol. and I'm trying to use the stanrdard notation instead of the TAB, but the fact that its mostly harmonics is making this rather difficult (loads of signs I'm not used to seeing). But I'm breaking it down into small chunks and gonna go over each bit a bunch of times each day - some dedicated 'practise time', but I've also put my acoustic just outside the kitchen, so if I put the kettle on (or something similar) I can put in a few more minutes on it. I'm also gonna try a finger-memory tip from a friend - try the piece for a few mins just before bed. even if you struggle with it, apparently your brain starts processing it and 'getting used to it' while you're asleep, so its often much easier in the morning. dunno if it'll work or not, but it does add a few more minutes practise, so.........

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I just started working on Emerald Eyes off of Jimmy Page's Outrider album. I've always liked this song, and now it gives me another song to play in DADGAD tuning! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3