Notifications
Clear all

What was your first guitar?

55 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Kathy, she crocheted you a strap? Did you also manage to get a crocheted beer can hat? I miss mine.
My mom would never have made something as gauche as a beer can hat. She was too busy making us those hiddeous orange and yellow Marcia Brady panchos with the fringe that were all the rage back then!

heh! Like to see that as your October stagewear.

Unfortunately, it's long, long, long, gone!! :wink:

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Like a lot of you...... my first guitar was a 3/4 size steel string acoustic from Montgomery Ward that my Dad bought for me waaaaay back in 1969! I remember coming home with that guitar with a smile on my face that lasted for a solid week! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

My yamaha classical guitar C-70 restrung lefty.

Still the only guitar I own.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

A 1970s Korean made Les Paul ripoff from a company that no one remembers, called El Degas.
Bought it in a pawn shop in Brandon Manitoba in 1985 or thereabouts for $50.

It's still my only electric.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Mine was a Harmony Student acoustic guitar(1970).
My next one was a Teisco Del Ray hollow body, looks pretty much like Greg's.I got that and a checkmate 88 amp for $25 from the neighbors son. Unfortunately the neck started to warp pretty badly. :cry:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

A Harmony acoustic (not the Soverign that many people had) that my step-daughter had for years and never learned to play. The first one I bought was a Washburn D10-S which was a mighty good guitar for the price. The Harmony I gave away, the Washburn I sold.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Mine was a Harmony Student acoustic guitar(1970).
My next one was a Teisco Del Ray hollow body, looks pretty much like Greg's.I got that and a checkmate 88 amp for $25 from the neighbors son. Unfortunately the neck started to warp pretty badly. :cry:

You got a deal. In '71 or '72, I paid $100 for the guitar and (tada!) a Teisco Checkmate head and bottom.

I recall my friends' first guitars being a non-descript Harmony flattop acoustic, a no-name bad LP knock-off with a laminated maple bolt-on neck, a Harmony Rocket (too cool!), a Teisco "Tulip." One of my all time faves was my younger brother's Sears Silvertone red solidbody that was clearly another Teisco product. My brother was lucky enough to have snagged a Fender Vibro-Champ with it for his $100. That was around '70.

All our guitars were crap, but we loved 'em.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

All our guitars were crap, but we loved 'em.

There's a school of thought that says your first guitar is as important as your first love.....it might not last, but it shows anything's possible!

Just curious - my first guitar has long since departed this mortal coil - I don't know what became of it, I have vague memories it might have been left at my first wife's when I left - but how many of you have still got that first guitar? OK, some of you are new, and have only just got that first guitar - but how many of you have hung on to it for sentimental reasons?

Hey Nick - that Gibson's a beauty, really unusual - do you ever play it, or is it still there for sentimental reasons? Either way, I bet it's worth a bob or two - never seen a guitar like that!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I've been playing at least 8 years and I still have my first guitar, but I'm sure I'll upgrade to something better some day (a vintage Fender Strat maybe... I can dream :lol:) and I'll probably give it to someone i know will take care of it (relative or close friend). Although technically the guitar I'm speaking of is my first "electric" guitar.

My first guitar right now is a cheap acoustic that may never be able to play half decently (the strings are probably about an inch off the fretboard and the intonation is nowhere close), but if I guess I couldn't have a more perfect guitar to practice doing set-ups on. If I still can't make it play properly I'd either sell it or destroy it 8)

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I still have my first guitar from the Guitarnoise era - when Marilyn bought me a new acoustic (an Encore out of a Littlewood's catalogue.....!) I joined GN to get some freebie lessons. That was four years ago. It's out on a kind of semi-permanent loan now - one of the grandkids has got it. Don't know if I'll ever get it back, but what the hell - at least it inspired someone else to take up guitar!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My first guitar was a '69 Gibson SG-250 that I bought from my neighbor for $100. I still have it.

I hate you Nick! Not really ...... what a unique and beautiful guitar!

Oh, my first? A Monkey Ward catalog piece of junk. My first real guitar was a Bently Les Paul Custom copy.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It is a bit of a rarity, built from about 1970-1972 they were the replacements for the melody maker. They aren't worth that much though, roughly $500. Still it's cool, light and fun to play.

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

I got my very first sorta real guitar for Christmas when I was about 9. It was an Emenee Tiger Guitar w/amp. It was plastic. But it was electric! (Blurry pic but all I could find...)

This one was on eBay until just minutes ago. But, alas, I promised not to buy any more guitars until Christmas. :cry:

My first real guitar was a solid body electric Decca w/ Decca amp that my dad bought for me from Woolco (the department store version of Woolworth's). It was around $79 for both guitar and amp, I think. I loved that guitar! I actually learned to play a bit on that one. No chords and all notes on the "B" string, but solid notes they were! I ran away from my first husband at age 19 and brought it and its buddy, a dark green hollowbody electric Harmony w/ a whammy bar (!), with me. I stayed about a month, ran out of money, sold my car, flew back and left my "babies" there with an Army sergeant and his wife. I was a neglectful mother (and wife). I am sorry. If anyone knows where my Decca is, please PM me. It was last seen in October-November of 1976 in San Francisco on the Presidio Army base. Please return her safely. No questions asked, no reward. Thanks. :roll:

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Still it's cool, light and fun to play.

And totally space age looking. That's a cool guitar!

:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Nick --- You must have the only "first guitar" that's actually worth something monetarily! And it's cool, too! :)

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4