What'cha been playing lately?

62 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I have ADD when it comes to songs I just like to learn/play new songs all the time or I get bored playing the same ones over and over. Haven't posted in a few months but here are some recent additions:

Round and Round - Ratt (haven't tried the solo's but I do want to do the harmony parts with the other guitarist at some point)
Rock n Roll All nite - Kiss
Still in Love with you - Thin Lizzy ( Cool song working on doing the first of the solo's)
Alive - Pearl jam
Black - Pearl Jam
I'd love to change the world - Ten years After
Tush - ZZ Top
Suffragette City - Bowie (Already knew this but resurrected it again)
Purple Haze - Hendrix ( Never really spent anytime with this because I'm not a big Jimi fan but finally took the time to learn the solo)

A couple new editions from this week:

Outside - Staind
Not my time - 3 Doors Down

So what's new with y'all ?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@rahul)
Famed Member

Layla Unplugged. I have been trying the solos...

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

"She's So High"
"Bed's Too Big Without You"
"Can't Buy Me Love"
"I Saw Her Standing There"
"After Midnight"
"Revolution"
"Born on the Bayou"
"Rich Woman"
"Bad Moon Rising"
"Should I Stay or Should I Go"
"Blue Suede Shoes"
"A Change Would Do You Good"

(Band rehearsal for a short gig at an outdoor concert)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

... About 50 different acoustics at the 3 closest guitar stores. Very close to me. I must be lazy - no major distances. :shock:

If you got ADD Chris, then I have the other 3 letter thing, dreaded GAS. I just sold my spare CBS Masterworks, got a Cort as a spare this week. Now the main guitar, Garrison is up for replacement - getting one today, picked it out yesterday, and had to read all the reviews for one long night. I'm actually happy (to be getting a better sound) - been a long while.

anywhoo... great question!

Over My Shoulder - Paul Carrack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aFPKtJVBoU&feature=related

Is that an ACOUSTIC song or what!!! 8) I do it for exercise when out of shape, and it's fun! :lol:

Summer Breeze - Seals & Crofts
Heaven's Door - Dylan
Angel (acoustic) - Jimi
Rebel Rouser - Duane Eddy
Country Roads - John Denver
Little Red Riding Hood - Sam the Sham & the Pharoahs
I Walk the Line - Johnny Cash
Norwegian Wood (instrumental) - Beatles
Teenage In Love - Dion and the Belmonts

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

"Good Morning Beautiful" Steve Holy, Brad Paisley
"Gotta Get to Her the Way She's Been Getting to Me" George Strait
"I Told You So" Randy Travis, Carrie Underwood
"Estate Sale" Melanie, Cheryl Wheeler

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

"Signs" -Five Man Electrical Band
"Life by The Drop" -SRV
"Dogs" - Pink Floyd

My son wants me to learn "Wake Me Up When September Ends" -Green Day, so I can teach it to him. Just starting to give him lessons. So this makes me happy! :D

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@liontable)
Estimable Member

Accidentally in Love - Counting Crows
Mr. Jones - Counting Crows
Numb - Linkin Park
Nobody's Home - Avril Lavigne
Various songs by Stephen Lynch
Fight for this Love - Cheryl Cole
Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
American Pie - Don McLean
Over My Shoulder - Mike and the Mechanics

Then the own versions (easier/sounds better for me)

Red - Daniel Merriweather
Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles
I've Got the Music in Me - Kiki Dee Band

I'm only a beginner (been playing for about 1.5 month), and I just summed up the ones I could think of right now. These are all fairly simple though, sound very much alike and easy strumming patterns, so if you guys have any recommendations for songs like these I'll be sure to look them up. Currently working a bit on the Nothing Else Matters intro since it's a lot different than what I know. Already lots of stuff for me to look up in this topic!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

"Good Morning Beautiful" Steve Holy, Brad Paisley
"Gotta Get to Her the Way She's Been Getting to Me" George Strait
"I Told You So" Randy Travis, Carrie Underwood
"Estate Sale" Melanie, Cheryl Wheeler

country. it has been my interest lately. too bad we live just a little too far away.
it would be fun to jam.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Blueline, I love "Dogs" by PF. What a great tune.

Actually, I've played a tone until today. Got busy. Some stuff from this week........

Here are the newer ones to me.
La Grange - ZZ Top
Jesus Just Left Chicago - ZZ Top
A Fool For Your Stockings - ZZ Top
Pancho and Lefty - Townes Van Zandt, Nelson and Haggard, Emy Lou Harris
Clocks - Cold Play
Sweet City Woman - The Stampeders (Great Uke song)

and a few I've been working on for a while that are starting to evolve.
Rainy Night In Georgia - Tony Joe White (Brooks Benton made it a big hit in like 1970)
Midnight Rambler - The Rolling Stones
For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica
AH Song - Jimmy Buffett
Melissa - Allman Brothers
Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen

Rainy Night In Georgia is my pet project. I've put together a nice arrangement for this. Some might remember an effort I post on Soundlick a year or so ago. It has really changed a ton.

Melissa is a song that I've know for a long time, but am doing a recording complete with Guitar Pro generated drums and bass. I'll add lyrics, rhythm and lead guitar to it.

And then the short list of songs I;ve done with my jamming friend this week. Lots of good fun.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Humble Pie - 30 Days in the Hole.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I'm like a hummingbird or a honeybee, as I've probably said before. I go from idea to idea and song to song. But that can work against ya. So I'm sticking with just a few things to work on to improve: barre chords; strumming patterns and chord changes; palm muting; bass.

Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay - the barre chords version on acoustic. If I can get the G B C B Bb A barre chords nice and smooth, I can do almost anything. Instant Karma - for the same reason. A F#m; F G A barre chords.

Losing My Religion - For the strumming pattern. It's typically [dddudu] [uduudu]. Each [] is a measure, and each chord is usually two measures.

You Don't Mess Around with Jim - The intro and verses are a slightly p.m. shuffle in E and A. The chorus is "5", barre, or open chords: choose your poison. The standard sheet music I have uses "5" chords, so I will use them. There is a variety of techniques and changes in this one. It's a fun song, but it's not all that easy.

Bass lines for a few songs: Night Moves, My Sweet Lord (not as easy as you'd think, GH is all over the map), Instant Karma, the Portuguese version of Obladi Oblada (Patati Patata) and a few others as chord note bass lines.

And then I occasionallly pick up something I can get all the way through, though roughly, and try to polish it.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I've been into old Kiss songs lately. Strutter, Deuce, Firehouse, Parasite, Got to Choose, Rock Bottom, Shock Me, Cold Gin. Can't get enough of Ace & that pentatonic scale. 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Whatever we played at the jam! Some Jeff Buckley, Reliant K, Sweet Home Alabama (haven't played that in sooo long).

My band has been sans bassist and my drummer has an audition with Salford Uni coming up, so we've not been rehersing for a couple of weeks, and possibly wont again until the start of May when our bassist returns :cry: but I have been meaning to learn...

Perdido (the head, must learn more than the A section of the head...this seems to be a trait with me - I can learn A sections just great, then my brain switches off in the B)
Spain (actually have learned it, just can't play it at speed consistently and cleanly yet)
Little Boat
One Note Samba
Wave
Corcovado
Desafinado
Ipanema
The B section of the head to On Green Dolphin St (again, another case of I play A just fine, then the B comes up and I draw a total blank...)
and what else? I'm sure there were a couple more....

also been meaning to transcribe Minor. Every time I'm just listening, I think "that sounds pretty straightforward". Every time I pick up my guitar, I get confused by the two guitar parts. :roll: Okay, so I've also managed to do sod all on it. That's also why I'm currently confused by the two guitars. But I did at least transcribe the A section to Sonny Rollins' Doc Phil in real time with no errors. A few weeks back. What can I say? I suck at transcribing. I'm really inconsistent in it. And I have a thing for A sections.......

Every jazz tune I ever compose will have an AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA structure to it, by the looks of it. :lol:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I've been into old Kiss songs lately. Strutter, Deuce, Firehouse, Parasite, Got to Choose, Rock Bottom, Shock Me, Cold Gin. Can't get enough of Ace & that pentatonic scale. 8)

How's the tounge practice coming up ? :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5