25 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member

The thing I have been playing lately is ''Highway to hell'' by AC/DC. :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Melissa is a song that I've know for a long time, but am doing a recording complete with Guitar Pro generated drums and bass. I'll add lyrics, rhythm and lead guitar to it.

I missed this thread the first time around. Roy, what's your timeline for doing Melissa? I learned that one on bass at one point and just heard it yesterday and it made me want to go back over it. If you're up for another collaboration, I'd love to do the rhythm track for you. Not sure how quickly I can get it done though, had to reinstall everything on my computer and haven't got everything back to 100% yet.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sure, I'd much rather play with a humanoid than a software generated track. No time rush.

I had actually done everything, but it all needs to be redone. Especially the lead/fill track. I can't get my head around it. It's like it's part pentatonic scale and part chromatic. At one point I am even going ying to the bassline's yang. So, needless to say, I'm not done. The VOX needs to be re-done too. It was one of my insomnia sessions where I could not sing loudly.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Darkhorse I must be maturing because I just deleted two responses to the whacko response you gave me above in the interest of keeping this civil.

I will now return to immaturity and continue to do what I do. How many times are you going to bring up the example of the kid who used his high gain pedal incorrectly? Until he cries uncle.

Somehow putting people down to "kick them in the butt" as a motivational tool went out in 1950 and I see no value in your poor communication skills. Maybe instead of ranting about how stupid this kid was for putting his pedals where he did you could have just avoided putting him down and just offered an alternate solution with the reasons why you feel it would be better.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Way to go cnev. Taking the higher road and not sinking to that level is very admirable. Kudos, man! 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Everyone,

I deleted that last post. I don't know who edited prior posts but I'm sure they had a good reason.

The rule here is, if you wouldn't say it at the dinner table with your mother, don't say it here. No personal attacks, no trolling, no flaming. We can all live with differing opinions, it's what makes the world go round.

One of the things that makes this place a good place to learn is that we appreciate all opinions. We may not agree but we appreciate them. Those who want to learn can see how different people learn or approach any topic. We never have been and never will be a site where we all agree. And as such, we all know we aren't here to force or convert anyone to our way of thinking and we don't take offense when someone disagrees with us, no matter how right I am. :D

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

nothing much, just improvising and the usual songs i've known forever.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Miss a couple days and I miss all the fun.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I missed it too, but what else is new.

So, should we start a fresh thread, void of, um, controversy? It's normally a fun thread.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Sure Roy why don't you go ahead and start one I can only guess the removed post was meant for me so maybe you can sneak it in without controversy...

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I think it was meant for me really, although I had almost nothing to do with the thread. I am the man however, and it has to be stuck to someone.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I think it was meant for me really, although I had almost nothing to do with the thread. I am the man however, and it has to be stuck to someone.

Good morning Mr. Man!

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

I don't think he means it that way, unless I'm wrong of course. I think he's just saying you have to feel the music you're playing by making it your own. (Exclusively) Trying to play exactly like the record destroys your own creativity, because making your own version and being creative with even Smoke On The Water can create so much more than an overplayed riff. I'll use the TV analogy. I hardly ever watch TV anymore, due to doing other things, but I don't look down on it. It's a great way to relax, you can effectively learn things despite what a lot of people say and many more advantages. The thing is that the real issues arise when that's the only thing you do, because some day you'll stand there not knowing what to do, because you don't know anything else. (This is how I saw his post)

Now for my own (completely beginner) opinion, and you decide what you think of it. Playing covers is not something to be looked down upon, it requires skill, insight, a "feeling" with the music. It's fun, it's something a lot of people know and it can be a great hobby. But I believe it's only a part of the big experience. Your own additions, are what make it unique and really something special. It doesn't require you to write your own song to know what music is like. It could be you change the tone, you use another effect, you play some notes longer, anything really. You can perfectly know a song, but you can't perfectly like a song. Making it your own is something special in my opinion, and that's why we want to see the real artists often, for that special extra, because they themselves often change it as they go. It could be that you just throw out a few improvised licks before you start playing, but to me it's an essential part of the whole experience. Creation, even if it's a small detail changed on a cover, is something that separates you from everyone else. Solely copying is playing guitar hero with a more advanced controller.

Ultimately it's doing what you enjoy most, whatever that is. It might be worth checking out how it feels to see if it adds something to your enjoyment. If it doesn't then you can just do whatever you were doing, but at least you know why.
You got it, Censor Boy is just an idiot. I am leaving this site, I have no patience for nitwits who get to misunderstand and delete things they do not comprehend. Good luck having anyone post here who knows S H I T from apple butter. My posts are gone.

Hope Nick doesn't mind my quoting this parting shot from Horsie in full. Just as a reminder of what we'll all be missing. :twisted: (Nick, feel free to delete this graf & everything above it if you need to.)

I've been working on guitar/mandolin duos of the "Cavatina" by Stanley Myers, the "Deer Hunter" guitar theme, and "Apache" by the Shadows. "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys and "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" by Mingus (just trying to comprehend the chord structures on those two). "Cast Your Fate to the Wind" by Vince Guaraldi (slide in Sevastopol tuning). "Dark was the Night" by Blind Willie Johnson, which scares me to death. And I'm also looking into the guitar possibilities of various compositions by Ralph Vaughan Williams and Bela Bartok.

I tried playing "All-Knowing Internet God" for a while, but I could never get the riffs just exactly right. :wink:

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

LOL,

All-Knowing-Internet-God is a tough one to master.

By the way, I know my Apple Butter.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I hate apple-butter, and I was born in apple country Vermont.

Nick, you're a jerk.

just kidding

We seem to have one or two roll in here a year. Again, kudos to cnev for not flaming right back. The internet is such an odd place. I lurk on other sites from time to time, even post on one site with decreasing frequency. Peoples gots issues. 'dats all I'm saying.

And for those who didn't catch it, cnev created a different thread to resume on topic conversations. I encourage all to go there now and let this chapter die slowly and peacefully.

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5