Clear all

What'd You Get For Axe-mas?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

We normally have a pretty good thread going by now. times are tighter, though, so perhaps Less than years past. I got various accessories this year. Well, the season started off with a cheapo strat knock off, but when Saturday came, I was greeted to a few musical related gifts.

** Two 3-packs Gibson Strings
**I different kind of slide shown here. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/JetSlide-Guitar-Slide?sku=365400 It's OK, but I only screwed with it once.
**Two adjustable capos like this. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-Dual-Action-Capo?sku=360629
**Keith Richards latest book.
** A pedal expansion unit for my GT-10 MFX unit. Typical Boss ambiguity in the intructions cost me about an hour of figuring out how to use it. But, it is a good thing. 2 extra conrol peddles. That's double what it came with, I could actually keep one dedicated for a lead tone. I've been messing with it a bit.

Overall, I had a great holiday and am looking forward to another week with the misses off and the kid without school. We did get 7 inches of snow, which is supposedly the first white Christmas for us here for something like 64+ years. Whatever. None of us have to get anywhere for another week still. 30 degrees above fewwzing by the end of the week. It should be gone.

This year's feast for family here on Saturday and desserts at some friends' house up the street had me in the kitchen a lot. I baked one apple and one blueberry pie, one cheesecake, one carrot cake sans raisins (the neighbor and one daughter do not like raisins....I'm so considerate) and my to die for (or because of) cinnamon rolls. The speciality came Saturday Afternoon with a 7 lb beef tenderlion with fresh-frozen peas, beans, store-bought rolls (go figure) with my wife's famous mashed potatoes and my nearly famous Gorgonzola Cream Sauce to go along with it. It's been called many things. Orgasm in a boat (gravy boat) is my favorite. I did mess up, though, I forgot my heating method for the cheescake that I used and it was the ugliets cheesecake anyone's ever seen. Now it's 1/3 of the ugliest cheesecake you ever seen.

All in all, we very much enjoyed out holiday season and will enjoy what little is left. Oh, the very best part. The new, additional doctor to the mix has decided to be a bit more progressive with the medications and I've had as comfortable a week as I've had in maybe a few years. I think that spurred on the ambition for a lot of baking. Being new to me, I did take a week off from posting anywhere much at all as I wasn't sure how it wuld have gone. so far, so good now, but was a little flippant with the toungue, Sometimes knowing when to shut up is important, and this was one of those weeks. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: My wife did remark many times that it's been so nice to not have me in the mood that's associatd with massive, non-stop pain.

Well, Merry Christmas (or insert holiday of choice) to all, and happy New Year's day!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Sounds like you did alright Roy! Wel, as per my thread on the subject I got this ......

But I also got the stand it is hanging in from the girl at work that had my name for our Christmas exchange. It is a Hercules stand and they are the best. How did she know to get this you ask? Well ...... she is my daughters best friend. 8) Here is a better look at the stand.

The guitar hangs in it and the weight of the guitar closes a pair of saftey bars so it dosen't fall out. The height is adjustable with a clutch that is lever operated. Most cool, I now have 3 of these, 2 singles and a double.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

A Korg DS-10, an analog synthesizer emulator.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=50093
http://learningbass.wordpress.com/2010/12/27/korg-ds-10/

I must wait for Baltasar and the other two Kings (January 6th) for the rest of presents, Santa is just for small gifts.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

All good stuffs guys, up above!!!

I got two red Telecasters because I am going back to my own roots, where my first real electric was a Red Tele, 1970 - 72.

When I was looking, I discovered the Candy Apple Red Mustang Tele, which I had missed throughout 2010, and didn't come to Canada anyway. Wow, it matches not only my car, which is my favorite car too :roll: but also my first Tele too, very close.

I ordered a leftover, brand new in the factory carton from San Jose CA, it arrived by Santa in perfect condition, whoo hoo!

Also, when I played it I doubted the dealer's specs. I wrote to Fender and got the real scoop which they asked me not to reprint if using company logos, or trademarks or names of their staff persons in customer support. I'm not doing that. :shock:

Basically, I wondered why the pickups were extra hot, and if it was a Factory Special Run, because the FSR's usually make 500. I was able to get their own company info, that 250 were made in June 2009, for 2010, for Evigna Ford Promotions. Ford didn't use them all for promotion, like mugs and hats, only better! :lol: So the remainders went to a few US dealers.

Model Name: FSR 2010 Mustang® Telecaster®, Candy Apple Red with Matching Headcap
Model Number: 013-0028-(309)
Series: Standard Series
Body: Alder
Neck: Maple, Modern “C” Shape,
(Polyurethane Finish)
Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9.5” Radius (241 mm)
No. of Frets: 21 Vintage Style Frets
Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
Width @ Nut: 1.650” (42 mm)
Hardware: Chrome
Machine Heads: Fender®/Ping® Standard Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines
Bridge: Standard 6-Saddle String-Thru-Body Bridge
Pickguard: 1-Ply Black
Pickups: 2 Hot Standard Tele® Single-Coil Pickups (Neck & Bridge)
Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade:
Position 1. Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups
Position 3. Neck Pickup
Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
Colors: (309) Candy Apple Red,
(Polyester Finish)
Strings: Fender Super 250L's, Nickel Plated Steel, (.009 to .042), p/n 073-0250-003
Unique Features: Matching Painted Headstock,
Black Dot Position Inlays on Rosewood Fingerboard,
Silver Ford® “Mustang” Written Across Top of Body,
Ford® Mustang® “Pony” Logo at Rear of Body,
Vintage Styling
Source: Mexico
Accessories: None
U.S. MSRP: $800.00
Specs: Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice
INTRODUCED: 6/2009
DISCONTINUED:
DISCONTINUED COLORS:
COMMENTS: 250 piece run in 6/2009 for Evigna/Ford for promotions
WRENCH SIZES: Truss Rod Wrench pn# 0038467000 (3/16” Hex)
Saddle Height Adjustment Wrench pn# 0050919000 (.050” Hex 1.5mm)

My second Tele Christmas gift was a Red Nashville Deluxe, also MIM, but with a maple neck or fingerboard. Stock photo:

Stocking stuffers: Chrome Red American Standard Tele body. Custom, fake burled walnut Warmoth Tele pickguard, Joe Barden Danny Gatton-style bridge, Barden individual pickups: hotter bridge, Gatton neck, Lace Dually - emerald and purple.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well, I didn't actually get anything guitar-related for Xmas, but about this time of year I get a little extra money through - so I'm going to get my Squier Custom Tele repaired and treat it to a nice makeover. It'll almost be like having a new guitar!

Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but I'm thinking of keeping it in open G for slide. I've been playing slide in standard tuning for a while now, and while there's quite a lot you can do with slide in standard, it does have its limitations.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but I'm thinking of keeping it in open G for slide. I've been playing slide in standard tuning for a while now, and while there's quite a lot you can do with slide in standard, it does have its limitations.

Vic

Try some country and Hawaiian tunings.

C6 (a.k.a. Am7): Low to high, E C A G E C

G6 (a.k.a Em7): D B G E B G

Cmaj9: D B G E C G

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Vic

Not sure about those tunings, Doug, I also know MY limitations! But thanks for suggestions....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Not sure about those tunings, Doug, I also know MY limitations! But thanks for suggestions....

Vic

Here's a little bit more to tweak your interest, then . . .

C6 = a minor triad on the bottom 3 strings, which just happens to be the relative minor for the major triad formed by the top three strings. Plus, no matter which 4 adjacent strings you hit, you get a minor7 (or 6) voicing. Ditto for the G6.

Cmaj9 = major triad for 6-5-4, minor triad for 5-4-3, with two voicings of the same major triad for 4-3-2, and 3-2-1, Then it gets even better. Minor 7 for 6-5-4-3, Major 7 for 5-4-3-2, and a major voicing for 4-3-2-1.

You know you want to play with these. All you have to do is turn a couple of knobs :note1: :note2: :note1:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote