Clear all

whats the differance?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hobozcar2000)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So I'm very new to playing guitar and have an acoustic at the moment. When I finally decide that I'm ready I'm going to buy an electric. I love the look of the Fender Strat. but the pricing is crazy. So the question is why is one $399 and the next one up that looks exactly the same $949? Can someone tell me what the big differance is?

Here are the links for the two: http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_fender_american_stratocaster_electric_guitar?full_sku=101020642
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_fender_standard_stratocaster_electric_guitar?full_sku=103576708

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Hardware, materials, Quality Control. Labor cost to manufacture.
More expensive= usually made in the USA, not always better quality tho.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@hobozcar2000)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

what do you think is the most "bang for your buck"?

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

not always better quality tho.

That's very true. Go to a few different stores and try out the MIM(made in mexico) strats, if you find a good one, then you can save a lot of $$$.

As far as the most bang for your buck, the MIM strats should be what your're looking for.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

"Bang for your Buck" means something different if you're older and have been putting off getting what you've always wanted for several decades.

having said that, the common turn of the phrase usually goes to getting the most for your money.
if you are a Fender fan, you can't go wrong with a MIM, i would really look them over in person first tho.

If you are very short on cash and also need to purchase the other needed accessories as well then i could not recommend a better starter guitar than the Squier '51. for $99 you still can budget for an amp, cord, strap etc.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

what do you think is the most "bang for your buck"?

An MIM with a few after-market touches is a very fine instrument.

Get it set up right and shielded and it's darn hard to tell it apart tone-wise from a MIA strat that costs 3 times as much.

I have one and am quite happy with it. .

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@hanzo)
Trusted Member

Don't be too scared of a mexican made fender. I have a MIM Tele and I'm very happy with it. The quality is kinda inconsistent, but basically I just played a bunch and found one that really felt good and went with it.

Another neat Strat is the Deluxe Players Start.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Players-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511597

It's essentially a hopped up standard MIM strat with better pickups, nicer gold hardware, and some unique color options. I tried one out this weekend and was really impressed. If I had an extra $600 laying around I probably would have bought the thing.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Those Deluxe players are very nice, i tried one or two out before i got my 50th anniversary deluxe American Stratocaster. i held out on getting a MiA for too long and the deluxe 50th was just too sweet to pass on.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=92719&g=home

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

That is nice, Twisted!!

Don't get us wrong, hobozcar2000, there are very good reasons for getting a more "premium" instrument -- ranging from artistic satisfaction with the little details, to subtle, but real, tonal differences.

But for most players, an MIM Fender is a pretty darn good choice.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote