Notifications
Clear all

What's your favourite guitar

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@kiwiblues)
Topic starter  

Assuming that some of you will have more than one guitar or will have owned more than one; what is your favourite guitar for playing slide on and why?

(@rahul)
Famed Member

The one which cannot be set up and has high action regardless of what I do to it...Perfect for slides. :D

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

my favorite for playing slide is my National Model D squareneck resonator.
my second favorite is a 1930's Rickenbacher Model 59 lap steel. it has the horseshoe pickup. the tone is classic.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hey kiwiblues - this is an interesting topic you've created, I hope we get many takers and explanations, whatever works.
You're allowing for past present and future, I guess, so I don't have a great number of guitars now, but have a long past.
I have moved somewhat recently, and have guitars in storage. I had to get a new Highway One blonde/maple Telecaster.
For slide work, I have been so predictable that it almost tells itself. I don't do alot of it - since I am in quieter company.
Yes so darned predictable - up to a few years ago, when I was going out to participate in a noisy venue of any kind, I could just about expect mud, and blood and beer, and once: flying fried zucchinis! I take Fender types, MIJ or MIK and they are all hotrods. Except for the early 90's Peavey Reactor, which claimed to be MIA, but I doubt it, though stamped.

It was my son's/eldest daughter's guitar, split between them. When they didn't want it I bought it and bashed and banged on it heavily, using other's rigs, racks and Marshall stacks. A metal slide and contact with the strings kept hum at bay, with a potent measure of distortion as well. I used the1993 MIM Sunburst Tele around the same time, outdoors and in barns - it's the one that got soaked the most! It has the 4-way, w/series to buck hum, a stacked bridge pup too, and an overwound Electrokraft neck. Twangs at will or roars like a rocket taking off. The Nashville Tele has 5 sounds, and 7 for awhile. I mention this because we can get single coils to be quiet together, with minimal 60 cycle hum at high volumes - and I associate high volume and overdrive for slide. I like Bonnie Raitt for example. Now the Squier/Fender Strats :roll:

I modded the '96 Squier with a USA neck pup, Seymour vintage middle and JB Jr. bridge on tap. It has a hint of twang and can do both clean and distorted slide. It led to a little more overall bite, snap and snarl with a return to the maple neck (as predictable as I am, told 'ya?) in a customized '98, purpose-built for the blues only; 2 overwound-to-spec Electrokrafts on board, with a Dimarzio stack and 10 tones due to mini-toggle, plus master tone. Though it is far away, I have my 10-tone Deaf-Eddie "Plum Crazy" Frankenstrat right here and it can do the job too. I can only show tiny pics. :oops:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

All of my guitars except one are set up for both fretting and sliding. For pure solo slide thrills, my cheap Takamine 12-string blows my mind consistently. It's strung heavy (.012s) and tuned low (open C -- CGCEGC), it generates lots of harmonics, and it's loud.

On the electric side, I have a '68 Gibson SGJr -- one original P-90 at the bridge -- that has a very special snarling sound. Also a Kalamazoo KG2 solid body from the mid-'60s with Melody Maker pickups -- the neck pickup is the flip side/counterpart to the Junior's bridge pickup -- pure and sweet. (I keep fantasizing about getting those two pickups onto one guitar, although I know it wouldn't work -- couldn't possibly. You can't have it all.)

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

My favorite's the one I've got in my hands.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I was trying to decide and I finally did it: I am with Ricochet. Each one of my guitars has something special: the tone, the smell, how they feel... I enjoy playing them.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

My favorite's the one I've got in my hands.
I'll agree with that one.....

ReplyQuote
(@saimsensy)

That's amazing images ....... so I like this very much......

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I have a Squier Custom Tele set up for slide, kept in open G tuning; hardly ever touch it these days. I'd much rather play my MIM Tele in standard tuning! As far as acoustic goes, my main acoustic's kept in standard, but I have an old beater I keep in open G if I feel the need to play some acoustic blues.

With the MIM Tele, because the action's pretty low, I use a very light plexiglass slide; for the acoustic, a heavier brass slide.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote