Notifications
Clear all

What's your favourite.......

27 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter  

Ok, so I recently got myself a Stagg Electro-Acoustic in black finish, sweet sounding with and without an amp....

Only problem is, I don't really know many acoustic songs to play on it!

So here's where this is going:

What is your favourite acoustic song/s (name and artist), and why?

At the moment I'm learning "Leaving on a Jet Plane" by John Denver, and loving it!
Also learning "Heat of the moment" by Asia, trying to convert it to a smooth acoustic sound. Getting there!

Pete :)

(Note; maybe this should be in opinions and polls?)

(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Three easy and very recognizable acoustic tunes:

Southern Cross (CSN))
Uncle John's Band (Dead)
Wish You Were Here (Floyd)

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I love playing a few Stones tunes....
Dead Flowers
Factory Girl
Wild Horses.

then we have Neil Young....but there are too many to name.
so try out those Stones tunes.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

At the forefront, "Babe I'm gonna leave you" - Led Zeppelin. I can't pick up an acoustic without starting to play this song.

Others:
Stones - Sister Morphine, Angie, Wild Horses
PF - Wish you were Here
Kansas - Dust in the Wind
Zeppelin - Your time is gonna come, Over the hills and far away intro, Tangerine

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Redemption Song - Bob Marley

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Wonderwall - Oasis
Half the world away - Oasis
Tangled up in blue - Dylan

Pete, maybe you should check out some mid-60's britpop - a lot of early Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who, Manfred Mann and Hollies songs had acoustic backing, with an electric playing riffs licks and lead - and they were't too complicated, and they're easily recognisable....

Oh and Proud Mary and Bad Moon Rising - in fact a lot of CCR songs! - sound good played through an amp with an electro-acoustic....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jonny-guitar)
Trusted Member

Oh, I love playing the acoustic guitar! Some of my favorites are...

'Black Bird' By...I shouldn't have to say.

'Layla'(acoustic)...again I shouldn't have to say.

'Fake Plastic Trees' By Radiohead. A great acoustic tune.

'Lie In Your Graves' By DMB. This song has such a driving beat, and is so much fun to play. Pure fun.

That's all I can really think of right now...

Jonny

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Allot of the tunes from Nirvana Unplugged but especially "where did you sleep last night" and "the man who sold the world"
Mama Said from metallica is also cool , aswell as Tuesday's Gone from Lynard Skynard

Minus

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@liveguitar515)
Eminent Member

Ever hear Over the Hills and Far Away by Zeppelin?

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

Anything by Neil Young or Jack Johnson.

i.e If I Could by Jack Johnson is relatively easy.
Any one of David Hodge's, Neil Young lessons are a great start.
My favourite is Needle and The Damage Done.

Congrats on the new guitar.

Ghost

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

ME i like
More than a feeling by Boston
The acustic part to stiarway to heaven ( if your an advanced player)
Sweet home alabama
Simple man by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Getting into you by Relient k( if your a beginner)
and uh...GIT SNAKE BIT (not a song)

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Lots of people suggested Neil Young - fair enough, I can't argue with that- but Ghostrider, Needle and the Damage done? Not only is it fairly hard to play, but it's in the all time top two of "Songs that are a complete and utter b*****d to play and sing along to" - just got beaten out of the top spot by Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane" - come to think of it, most LR songs are almost impossible to play and sing at the same time!

One I forgot to mention was David's (take a bow again, Hodgemeister!) lesson on "Wish You Were Here" - I printed it out for my grandson last weekend, he's a huge Pink Floyd fan - he also wants to learn "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" - are you listening, DH?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

Lots of people suggested Neil Young - fair enough, I can't argue with that- but Ghostrider, Needle and the Damage done? Not only is it fairly hard to play, but it's in the all time top two of "Songs that are a complete and utter b*****d to play and sing along to" - just got beaten out of the top spot by Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane" - come to think of it, most LR songs are almost impossible to play and sing at the same time!

One I forgot to mention was David's (take a bow again, Hodgemeister!) lesson on "Wish You Were Here" - I printed it out for my grandson last weekend, he's a huge Pink Floyd fan - he also wants to learn "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" - are you listening, DH?

Vic

Valid observation Vic!: I didn't say I played it well! :lol:

In David's arrangement, I find sufficient vocal cues to sing along. The descending bass line in the verse is helpful as a vocal cue. As well, just strumming the last line of each verse is much easier. Save the boogie-woogie lick for the interlude. What I often find difficult (being early- middle-aged and prematurely senile :lol: ) is remembering the words, not only to this song but others as well.

I think the top song that is impossible to sing and play along with is REM's Everybody Hurts. The arpeggios are tantalizingly easy to master; but the lack of vocal cues (in 12/8 timing) is maddening!

Ghost 8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

After The Gold Rush is a nice song to play. Basically not hard but it has a barre chord in it if you're barre chord challenged. Or you can check out Dave's version on the home page for a chord melody way of playing it.

Tequila Sunrise is another good song to play. Basically pretty easy but with a couple of harder areas thrown in.

Blackbird - once you get it you get it and its fun.

Thinking About You - Radiohead. fast and challenging strum pattern.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I would consider trying any electric tune I really like on acoustic -- there have been many great acoustic covers created that way. Some of these are named above.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2