What's your opinion?

16 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@marshallscottw)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hola,
My names Marshall, I've been playing guitar for a little over 6 years. I play: Classical, Rock, Metal, Finger-style and Shred. Lately, within the past few months, I've severly lost my taste for playing.. which bothers the hell out of me because I absolutely love it and am extremely dedicated.. yet it seems my dedications deteorating..
Anyway, I have 2 things to ask, answer one, or both.. either way I'm, I'll be greatful.

Question 1: In your opinion, what is the most beautiful sounding acoustic guitar piece you've ever heard? Think about this one seriously, I don't mean what's the most beautiful sound song with acoustic guitar in it, but what song (exclude the drums, singing, any synths, or bass) has the most beautiful sounding acoustic guitar playing you've ever heard in it? In your answer please include the Artist and Song name.

Question 2: As I was saying, I've recently all but lost my taste for playing guitar, yet I don't want to. I want to play! Yet every time I pick it up, I find myself laying it down 5 minutes later cause I couldn't think of any thing to play to strike my interest. Soo what do you think would be a good way to freshen up my interests in guitar and make it more fun again? Songs, exercises, whatever you can think of...

Please help!

Thanks,

Marshall

"You're a God among insects. Never let anyone tell you differenately." -Magneto, XMen

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Question number two: Write your own songs and record them. It'll have you learn a lot of different things and can open up whole new worlds.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I have a suggestion for #2 - try exposing yourself to different kinds of guitar music (or music in general). Don't listen to what you normally do. If you listen to metal, go listen to a bluegrass or folk CD. Go see shows. I find inspiration whenever I listen to other forms of music. Perhaps you are just bored with your genre.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Little Martha by The Allman Brothers and Bron-Yr-Aur by Led Zeppelin are mighty pretty instrumentals.

These will make you explore alternate tunings.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

#2 here! Yeah, #2 fits me .... :lol: Who are your heros? What is your favorite band? Watch a video of them. Listen to their music. My wife got me the KISS box DVD set 1974 - 1977 for Christmas. They are why I played guitar in the first place. I can't stop watching the thing and I cant stop playing those songs I cut my teeth on. It lit a fire under me. Another suggestion that is not as easy to do ... go see them. Blue Oyster Cult is another one of my big influences. I saw them in concert last August and it made me young again. I guess I'm saying .. what made you just have to play in the first place?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@marshallscottw)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Question number two: Write your own songs and record them. It'll have you learn a lot of different things and can open up whole new worlds.

To tell you the truth, I believe this is where I really began my downward spiral of disinterest. For the past 2 months, every time I've picked up my guitar, It was to record songs that I've been writing for 4 or 5 years now. But you are right, it did open up alot of new things for me. I think the hours and hours of continous unrilenting effort that I put in recording one single song is what burnt me out.

The rest of you guys make amazing points. I'm going to follow any advice given.
Keep it comin' !

"You're a God among insects. Never let anyone tell you differenately." -Magneto, XMen

ReplyQuote
(@ab0msnwman)
Estimable Member

stop listening to whatever you listen to

i used to just listen to indie and alternative stuff for the first four years of my playing

this past year i opened myself up to metal and funk and it totally refired my desire to play

not to mention i got a lot better.

Most importantly, work on what you suck at! If you can't tap and have been putting it off . . . work on that! If it's alternate picking or sweeping, try that! Just dig in on something you are bad at so you can improve and open up yourself to the new sonic capabilities these techniques offer!

for #1 . . . listen to Air by Jason Becker . . . although if you like shred you have probably already heard it.

ReplyQuote
(@reeve)
Estimable Member

Question 1: I also second Little Martha. Excellent playing, beautiful style.

Question 2: Listen to Tommy Emmanuel.

Worked for me 8)

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

If you want to hear some beautiful sounding acoustic guitar work try listening to the early joni mitchell recordings.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

#1. me playing my acoustic when I finally nail a song.
#2. play with other live people. nothing better to get you involved again.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@soundsgood)
Trusted Member

go see some live music ,seeing good musicians play always inspires me

gibsonSG standard/gallagher"doc watson" acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member

Q1 I'd have to vote The Needle and The Damage Done... so short and "simple" but just a beautiful piece... maybe the simplicity is what makes it so... or the subject.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

You could try this. Worked for me.

Take a break.

Spend a few weeks/months on a completely different instrument. Become a newb again, but on sax or harmonica or something (it was clarinet for me).

You stay in touch with music and broaden your musical knowledge. When I picked guitar up again, not only could I remember how to do all the stuff I knew before, but during the break some things just seemed to have 'gelled' too. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Question #1- No Te Hagas Ilusiones by Manolo De Huelva

Question #2- Learn a new style, study jazz or flamenco, country blues or Trad, anything to give you a new perspective on the instrument and show off some of it's and your other capabilities

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

#1 Jake Shimabukuro plays "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (by George Harrison):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo

Love it.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2