What's your song list

31 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I started putting this list together recently to try and see how many songs I've learned so far. Not a huge list, but most I've learned in the past year or so. I haven't listed them all because I probably forgot about 25 % or so but here it is.

30 Days in the Hole Humble Pie
All Right Now Free
Back in Black AC/DC
Bang a Gong T Rex
Beer drinkers and Hellraisers ZZ Top
Black Magic woman Santana
Born to be Wild Steppenwolf
Call Me Blondie
Can't get Enough Bad Company
Cold Hard Bitch Jet
Facedown Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Funk #49 James Gang
Good Riddance (Time of your Life) Greenday
Hell's Bell's AC/DC
Jesus just left Chicago ZZ Top
Kyrptonite 3 Doors Down
Mama Kin Aerosmith
Nobody to depend On Santana
Paranoid Black Sabbath
Play that Funky Music Wild Cherry
Prayer to God Shellac
Purple Haze Jimi Hendrix
Rocky Mountain Way Joe Walsh
Round Here Counting Crows
School's Out Alice Cooper
Sgt.Peppers Beatles
Shook me all Night Long AC/DC
Simple Man Lynard Skynard
Suffragette City Bowie
Sunshine of your Love Cream
Sweet Jane Lou Reed
Teenagers My Chemical Romance
Tighten Up Archie Bell and the Drells
Thayer Street
Two tickets to paradise Eddie Money
Walk Away James Gang
Walk This Way Aerosmith
We're an American Band Grand Funk
White Wedding Billy Idol
Wicked Game Chris Isaac
Woman Wolfmother
Yer Blues Beatles
Ziggy Stardust Bowie

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@Anonymous)

Not a huge list? Are you kidding me?

It takes me around 3 weeks to learn and practice a song until it sounds good. So all in all I don't learn more than 15 songs a year...

Do you learn the solos in addition to the rhythm parts though?

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Not a huge list? Are you kidding me?

It takes me around 3 weeks to learn and practice a song until it sounds good. So all in all I don't learn more than 15 songs a year...

Do you learn the solos in addition to the rhythm parts though?
Ditto and that's not even mentioning the ones I learned awhile back and when trying to recall, I have to learn parts all over again! It's funny, I swear the songs keep changing their notes on me.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well, up till recently, there were three of us jamming a couple of times a week - me, my old mate Stu, and recently acquired friend Darth Ordinary. Unfortunately, Darth's had to put the jamming on the back-burner for the moment - but these were the songs we were working on.

Substitute - The Who
All Right Now - Free
All Or Nothing - Small Faces
I Fought The Law - Clash
Should I Stay Or Should I Go - Clash
Cindy Incidentally - Faces
Stay With Me - Faces
Roxanne - Police
Can't Stand Losing You - Police
Up Around The Bend - CCR
Badge - Cream
Hard Day's Night - Beatles
Hey Joe - Hendrix
Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple (yes, the whole thing, not just the riff!)

(I know there are others - but I left the damn list round at Stu's a couple of nights ago!)

Last couple of weeks it's been just me and Stu - new songs we've tried have been;

Light My Fire - Doors
Back In The USSR - Beatles
London Calling - Clash

In addition to that, we decided a few nights ago to come up with a few songs each we know well: my list - so far! - reads...

Here I Go Again - Whitesnake
Another Saturday Night - John Fogerty
Nantucket Sleighride - Mountain
30 Days In The Hole - Humble Pie
More Than A Feeling - Boston
Still Rock'n'Roll To Me - Billy Joel
Morning Dew - Nazareth (the version I know best)
You Angel You - Manfred Mann (I know, it's a Dylan song - again, the version I know best.)
You Got It - Roy Orbison
Handle Me With Care - Traveling Wilburys
Can't Get Enough - Bad Company
Be Good To Yourself - Frankie Miller
LA Woman - Doors

Plus Stu and I know a whole load of Stones songs we've played, and a couple of T.Rex, some more Rod Stewart, Beatles.....

Enough to be going on with, I think!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member

Excellent idea for a thread, I was just thinking about this today.

Like most people, I tend to go from one song to the next too easily. At least I write them down and when I want to play I go back to the list and pick one...

House of the rising sun - Animals: Can't play at speed yet. Gotta work on the finger picking
Down on the corner - CCR: F chord switching still slow
I shot the sheriff - Marley, or at least the dhodge version. :)
Bad moon rising - CCR: got this down well enough my biggest problem is I play it way too fast
Who'll stop the rain - CCR: have to come back to this one
Wonderwall - Oasis: have to learn to sing to this, because it's easy to play
Folsom prison blues - this would be fun to play do I could sing like Cash
Pawn shop - Sublime: need some more sublime tabs. Who would've thought this doesn't work that well on acoustic
Blue in the Face - Alkaline Trio: found a great powertab for this so I'll be spending a lot of time on it.
Otherside - RHCP: I do a decent easy strummy version
Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes: same
Day tripper - Beatles: have all the main riffs down at least
Magic carpet ride- Steppenwolf: when I feel like practicing barres
Mary Jane's last dance - Tom Petty: It's risky to learn a song to impress a girl. I don't even like Tom Petty that much.
Angel's Wings - Social Distortion - great song. I keep coming back to this one, and it's better every time
You've got her in your pocket - White Stripes: almost finished with this one.
Mad World - Gary Jules version: I'll post the link to a great tab of this that sounds amazing if anyone wants it.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Some I know the solo's some I don't . For most I have the solo's but never got to finish them up ifyou know what I mean. I was thinking about the list last night and there are a bunch of songs I can barely remember. It wouldn't take much to get them up to speed maybe a day or two but I can't keep up with palying all of them all the time.

Vic - Thirty Day's in the hole is a great song. I alsways wanted to play it but you really need a good tremelo to get the sound they had.

Most of the songs take about a week to get down fairly well but there's usually one part in every song that's tricky, at least for me anyway. The My Chemical Romance song Teenagers is a very easy song it's just the last little ending that's tricky. That 's my latest song that I've learned.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Vic - Thirty Day's in the hole is a great song. I alsways wanted to play it but you really need a good tremelo to get the sound they had.

Closest I can get - with my limited equipment, ie a Cube 30 - is to put the tremolo setting halfway, and combine it with the delay - on about 8.5. Black Panel setting with scooped mids.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Vic,

I can't get anywhere close to it with the equipment I currently have so I haven't played it much. But for some reason that song is Rock n Roll to me. A little raunchy, not sure how to decribe it.

I do have a Johnston J-Station which has a tremelo effect but it doesn't really cut it. I was in Guitar Center a couple months ago messing around with some tremelo pedals and I got what to me sounded really close but I never bought the pedal.

That'll be my next step is to buy/built a pedalboard for the few pedals I have so I can start using them more. I need to get connect them to AC power though because the eat batteries like crazy.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Here's my list then:

Cream - Sunshine of your love (I forgot parts of the solo though)
Free - I'll be creepin'
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Mary had a little lamb (forgot most of the solo)
AC/DC - It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n roll
Mountain - Mississippi Queen
Grand Funk Railroad - Sin's a good man's brother
Deep Purple - Burn

Those are the songs that I remember and can play for the most part.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hi AK! :D

Are you sure that list is correct?
I hear you do a wonderful... 'All Your Love' by The Bluesbreakers 8)

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hey Ken! Good to hear from you again :)

I only listed the songs I remember how to play. I have unfortunately forgotten All Your Love... I learned it a year ago or so so it's understandable.
I hope you've learned it and still remember it!

I saw one of Mayall's guitarists play last summer... Coco Montoya. The show was pretty awesome. I was hoping he would play All Your Love but he didn't :(

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

AK,

I know what you mean. Some of the songs on my list I haven't played in awhile and I couldn't just play them on the spot but most I could with a small bit of effort.

I started out wanting to learn all of the solo's but didn't learn them in any type of order so a song I may have learned early on may have had a solo that was a bit over my ability at the time so I have skipped some.

Now I am playing with some guys and there's a much more experienced lead player so I have been cocentrating more on the rhythm parts, although I still try and work on the solo's when I practice.

I was hoping more people would posts their lists or at least partial lists just to get a feel for the type of music everyone is playing.

And I didn't list any of the songs I can't remember ever playing. Ha

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I just learned a whole one today. Bow, peasants, bow. Here's the list:

1) Rev. Gary Davis - Death don't have no mercy

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I started out wanting to learn all of the solo's but didn't learn them in any type of order so a song I may have learned early on may have had a solo that was a bit over my ability at the time so I have skipped some.

I used to do that too but my teacher convinced me to try and learn the difficult solos still. The only thing is that I play them at a much slower speed. Burn by Deep Purple is the perfect example. There are some really fast passages. I can play most of the solo at 75% of the speed, but some parts I can only play at half the speed! It's useful to learn a solo even if it's too hard to be played at full speed.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

AK,

That makes sense although when I say I don't know the solo I mean I can't play the whole thing exactly as it was recorded, like fast passages and such. For alot of them I did know the notes just never got them up to speed.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3