Clear all

when it stops being fun and becomes work

28 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

we played a gig 2 weeks ago at a very busy pub, full of 18-22 yr olds - not our type of crowd at all. it went awful. the response was non existent, we couldnt wait to get out of there.

we didnt even ask about the possibility of a return gig, because a) we felt their was no point as it went so badly, and b) like i said, we just wanted to get out of there.

anyway, fast forward a week and he gives us a phone call and he offered us another 2 bookings, and offered to give us a bit more money than he did last time.

WHY??? nobody liked us! we hated it!

i didnt take the phone call, one of the lads did and he accepted the bookings. now though, none of us are looking forward to playing there again, and we would only be doing it because he pays well.

i am certainly considering calling him back and saying "thanks but no thanks".

i think this will be the first time i consider playing with the band as being "work" rather than a "paid night out of fun". im not sure i like it.

how many other people on here have had similar experiences? what did you do?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I worked and had to push my enthusiasm. once the music started it was play hard. the audience didn't matter.
it was a sterile night for the band, but it wasn't the worse. (I never made any money. peanuts for pay).
and actually, things got clearer for me. I decided the band leader wasn't right for me. I left not long after.
play the gig. you never know what could happen. the band could have a stellar night; just for the band as a group.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

remember, these two statements convey completely different things.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You never know what is going on in the head of the audience. Never.

I've had experiences like that where I thought "What a complete waste of time." Only to find out later that people were really digging the music. I've also had nights where I thought I was really on, only to have the bar owner decide it wasn't the bar's type of music.

Here is the work part:

If the bar owner wants you back, go back.
Find the groove.
Add in a new song or two.
Ask the bar owner about what type of music he/she thinks goes over best.
During a break in the next gig, try to find out from a patron or two what bands they like to listen to.

You need to connect to the audience, that's the work part. Once you've found the groove it really stops being work.

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

almann1979 wrote:

remember, these two statements convey completely different things.

You never know what is going on in the head of the audience. Never.

play the gig. you never know what could happen. the band could have a stellar night

okay, im not sure i have figured this "quote" thing out yet, so im not sure what this post will look like right now, but these are all good points. we will play the gig, and next time i will just be up front and ask the landlord what he and his punters really think and what changes they would suggest- i think our problem is that we are a band who really need a bit of praise before we come out of our skins, we are all quite quiet people really, so when the applause isnt flying, we tend to get a bit intravert, which obviously comes across poorly on stage.

thanks!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I'm always amazed when people like anything I play. I've learned to just accept it.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Allman. I understand the 'quiet guy/somewhat introvert thing. a friend is a fearless guitar player. walks into a room, plugs in, turns way up, and wails. he is quite good. the confidence drips off the guy. that aint me. he said 'all guitar players have to be rude. ya can't play quiet, ya hafta be loud. guitar players are loud.
he said that. a part of me has to agree. the other part is conflicted.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I've been playing music for a living all my life, and the only time I haven't had fun was when we were completely mis-booked by a slime-dog agent who was only after a quick commission and didn't care about either the band or the venue.

But I can only remember two of them in my life, and I've been doing this for decades.

Since 1985 I've been booking myself, and every gig has been fun. Admittedly some more fun than others, but I haven't had one bad experience since then.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm another AARP member who's a full-time musician...

Some days are better than others, certainly. But I've got a friend who's an avid fisherman, and he says "a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work". And whenever things aren't going quite as expected, I think about that.

I'm lucky as all get-out to do what I do. And when it gets a bit rough, I think about what life might be like if I were a tax accountant. Or a janitor. Or assembling the same widget in a factory every day for 30 years.

You had an off night. Hope you don't have too many - but hope you have tons of opportunities to have an off night. 'Cause they're still just bad days fishing :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

anyway, fast forward a week and he gives us a phone call and he offered us another 2 bookings, and offered to give us a bit more money than he did last time.

Wrong! You made one fan that night, and THAT fan wants to throw money at you! It doesn't get more sincere than that.

Do the gigs. Night A may be a clunker, and Night B in the same place may have people kneeling on the floor at your feet worshiping you. Smile, laugh, be nice, be naughty, flirt, suggest the ladies show their, um, assets and have yourselves a good time on stage. Be accessible on break.

The only thing you can depend on when playing the bar scene is that no two nights will EVER be the same.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

i think our problem is that we are a band who really need a bit of praise before we come out of our skins, we are all quite quiet people really, so when the applause isnt flying, we tend to get a bit intravert, which obviously comes across poorly on stage.

thanks!

OK - use that. I was in a band once where we had a shy member - great player, but really liked to stay off the mic. We took some gaffer tape and used it to create goofy one-liners on the back of his bass ( use real gaff tape, NOT duct tape or any tape that leaves a residue! ), and had him flip the bass in between songs to display it.

Heck, have somebody's hot girfriend carry an "Applause" sign across the front of the stage.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You had one person that liked it is exactly what I have to say about it. The owner wants you back. You said 18 - 22 was the demographic? Could this be the problem on both ends? What do you guys do for your day jobs? Was it an us and them mentality? :lol: Again, what do you do for your day jobs? You communicate with young people. Teach them to rock! Go back there and knock their socks off! :twisted:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

For my two cents and it ain't worth much but to me the best chance you have of reaching that demographic is playing the songs THEY want to hear so if your not playing those then it's going to be difficult to grab them in.

And making a fan of the owner is good since he pays the bill but my guess and it's only a guess that even if he loves you it's all about the $$ and if that bar caters to 18-22 yo and your music doesn't eventually when you play there the numbers are going to go down and so will the bar tab and then so will the gigs.

Definitely play the gig for the money and experience and it doesn't matter if anyone likes you or not but you may want to work on changing your set list slightly when you play there.

Good luck!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

This is interesting. Clients of any business do not always communicate their true opinion.

From a user's point of view, I've been in places where the band was merely background music and not a focal point at all. It's been a while...probably a good 20 years ago or so, but remember them. Always seemed like more energy in the places when a band was playing. Despite little direct feedback, perhaps you and your music charged the atmosphere and bar sales were up that night because of it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy interesting comment although when I was working at a club for a few years any band that ended up being background music rarely if ever increased the bar take significantly.

You have to generate some energy some how so at the end of the day 1) people stay and 2) they drink more with the later being the most important.

The whole reason to have a band in a bar is to make more money for the bar so if the owner could make the exact same money by not having to pay a band then he would be foolish to book bands they would serve no purpose.

Either you need a real gregarious frontman that can engage the audience or you need to play the music they want to hear and get them up and dnacing or moshing or wahtever.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2