Where's the LOVE for...

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

...Carlos Santana out there.

Not that I've heard much of his stuff, but I heard Black Magic Women come on the radio the other day and had forgotten how much I loved the guitar in that song. Relative to the other guitar legends, he doesn't seem to get much mention anymore and I'm just wondering why that is?

Are they're any big fans out there and, if so, any songs you would suggest listening to for some of his better guitar work.

Thanks

(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Carlos was great way back when....
He's sorta become (for me anyway) much like Clapton.... A very predictable and safe player.
He seems to have lost much of that fire/intensity/and passion that he once had (not to mention his tone).

The Abraxas album was cool; which had Black Magic Woman (which incidentally is a Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac song),
and Gregg Rolie was in the band.

Ken

EDIT - And the first album, with Soul Sacrifice - Check out some of Santana's Woodstock vids.
And I really like the song Everythings Coming Our Way.... A sorta Blind Faith vibe to it....

EDIT II - Just to clarify, Everything's Coming Our Way is on Santana III; With Gregg Rolie still.

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko
Soul Sacrifice from Woodstock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmuc4wKOSCU
A studio cut of Everythings Coming Our Way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvgO9jWaSFM
And the Mac doing a live Black Magic Woman - No vid

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

I'm a huge Santana fan. His first 4 albums are great. And I like the fusion type stuff he was playing in the early-mid 70s.

But I pretty much hate his new stuff with all the guest stars and whatnot, starting with the "Supernatural" album that won all those Grammys.

Here's a beautiful version of Samba Pa Ti - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSECQtF58BU

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I have to tell a story! :D

Many, many years ago, my husband-at-the-time was a radio DJ who also Emcee'd some of the shows that came to the Fort Worth area. One night he emcee'd when Carlos Santana came to town. Husband-at-the-time was backstage doing whatever he did before a show and I was hanging out near the dance floor. This scruffy looking Hispanic dude walked up to me and asked me to dance, so I said, "Sure!". We danced a couple of dances, he thanked me and wandered off. The show starts and husband-at-the-time begins his introductions, the curtain rises and standing there was the scruffy looking Hispanic dude that I was dancing with! IT WAS CARLOS!!!

I was so totally embarrassed that I didn't recognize him that I really didn't want to go backstage when the show was over, but husband-at-the-time insisted, so backstage I went. Husband-at-the-time introduced me and as I was beginning my apology for not recognizing him, Carlos cuts in and said, "No! Don't apologize! I thought it was so cool that you didn't know who I was but danced with an ugly f---er like me anyway!" :lol:

And, that's my Carlos Santana story!!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

one of my all time favorites, still making great music.
his acomplishments since abraxas are many.
tied with M.Jackson in most Grammys (long after BMW or the 60s)

i disagree that EC is just a "safe/predictable" player as well.
maybe he's not making a big mark in the Heavier Rock genre anymore, but his work in reviving traditional acoustic blues is very amazing stuff imo.
neither of them have anything to prove, but i really doubt either of them are done.

-----
great story EB!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

great story EB!

+1 !

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the links all.

And add another "GREAT STORY" EB, I love hearing stuff like that.

ReplyQuote