Skip to content
Which foot do you u...

Notifications
Clear all

Which foot do you use for tapping out rhythm?

26 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

After reading the handedness thread that is going on I was watching my playing a little more closely and I noticed that I mainly tap out rhythm with my left foot (I'm left handed and play right handed). I've started trying to tap more with my right foot and I wonder if it will help my strumming and picking to have the side of my body that does that also tap out the rhythm. Any thoughts on this?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

(@almann1979)
Noble Member

good question - it will be interesting to see the results. my vote is cast.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Right handed, play right handed, tap with right foot. That is, strum or pick with right hand, fret with left, tap with right foot.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Other - right handed, play right handed. Tap with... it depends.

Most pieces, my right foot. But if the right hand part is very syncopated, I'll sometimes use my left. If it's a funky groove, I'll sometimes use both (R on 1 & 3, L on 2 & 4). And if the tempo is fast (190ish on up) I don't tap - it gets my foot too tired :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'm all right! :D I'm right handed, play right handed and tap right footed. :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@pear-tart)
Eminent Member

I'm right handed, play right handed, and use... both feet? Well, either would be a better word. I automatically use my right foot but I don't like how it'll sometimes move my whole leg and therefore my guitar. Also the way I sit playing guitar, I usually cross my legs and it makes it uncomfortable to tap my right foot-- also it sometimes doesn't even touch the floor. (Yeah, I'm short.) So usually when I play (sitting down) I try to tap with my left, it gets tired faster but oh well. When I'm standing up, which I rarely am, I tap with my right foot and it's fine.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I come under "other - please explain." Right handed, strum & pick right handed - but my feet don't move unless I'm standing up, and then it's only to transfer weight - chronic back problems. I find it really hard to keep control of a guitar that's resting on my knee unless that knee's pretty stationary - and if my foot's tapping, the knee's going to be moving.

This isn't something I worked out, or worked at - it just happened, subconsciously I guess. I really don't move very much at all, whether sitting or standing....I may sway a little to the beat, but the second I start moving around a little, I lose control of the guitar. Not terribly exciting, eh?

However, I do tend to amuse people with some of the stupid faces I pull, especially when playing lead.....I tend to show the emotions I'm feeling there. Been told more than once, "you don't half look silly when you're playing lead.....your face looks like it's made of rubber, it's all over the place!" Not the prettiest face to start with....

Oh well - back to rhythm!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I come under "other - please explain." Right handed, strum & pick right handed - but my feet don't move unless I'm standing up, and then it's only to transfer weight - chronic back problems. I find it really hard to keep control of a guitar that's resting on my knee unless that knee's pretty stationary - and if my foot's tapping, the knee's going to be moving.

This isn't something I worked out, or worked at - it just happened, subconsciously I guess. I really don't move very much at all, whether sitting or standing....I may sway a little to the beat, but the second I start moving around a little, I lose control of the guitar. Not terribly exciting, eh?

However, I do tend to amuse people with some of the stupid faces I pull, especially when playing lead.....I tend to show the emotions I'm feeling there. Been told more than once, "you don't half look silly when you're playing lead.....your face looks like it's made of rubber, it's all over the place!" Not the prettiest face to start with....

Oh well - back to rhythm!

:D :D :D

Vic

Interesting! I don't actually move my whole leg, I just kind of lift my toes up and down. Eliminates the moving guitar. :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I played drums for a number of years, so when I'm listening to music alot of times I try to tap my right foot to the bass drum in the song. I also remember my music/drum teacher at the time mentioning how it's helpful to play the left foot pedal (which clicks the two hi-hat cymbals together) at the same time as hitting the snare drum, so sometimes I tap both feet.

When I'm playing guitar I'll either tap my right foot, toes or bang my head, depending on the song or how stupid I want to look :D

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Other - right handed, play right handed. Tap with... it depends.

Most pieces, my right foot. But if the right hand part is very syncopated, I'll sometimes use my left. If it's a funky groove, I'll sometimes use both (R on 1 & 3, L on 2 & 4). And if the tempo is fast (190ish on up) I don't tap - it gets my foot too tired :)

LOL yeah it gets tired, when its fast I just move my head, and just move from left to right.

Hmm I move either right foot or left foot, I pick right handed, I spin around alot too, kinda like Vic, moving side to side, but going in circles, as if I was dancing some kinda waltz, and I do weird faces too :D, and one time I jumped on one foot xD

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I mostly play sitting down (right handed). Getting the rhythm going strongly is something that I'm keen on doing, so my foot tapping is pretty vigorous. Using my left foot feels natural, but it also means that the guitar isn't bobbing up and down on my right leg. When the left foot gets tired (it can get quite a workout... :) ) I switch to a much more gentle tap with my right foot, while the left leg has a short tea-break - in accordance with the rules laid down by the Left Foot Branch of ATTU ( Amalgamated Toe Tappers Union).

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Vic
Vic, watch a video or two of Gary Moore. He's no oil painting to start with, but some of the expressions he pulls, whilst playing, are truly gruesome - but he's still an amazing guitarist. You're in good company, mate. :D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Vic, watch a video or two of Gary Moore. He's no oil painting to start with, but some of the expressions he pulls, whilst playing, are truly gruesome - but he's still an amazing guitarist. You're in good company, mate. :D

I was also going to suggest BB King also (both while singing and playing). This video of Gary Moore playing with BB King conveys everything. 8)

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Not trying to say I'm never wrong but I'm always right.

Right handed,play right handed,tap right foot.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Am right handed and play right handed and I don't tap my foot all the time and when I do I think it's usually my right foot but it can be my left too.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2