Which Guitar?

13 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I hope this is in the right place. I'm looking for opinions.

Thinking of purchasing a guitar for nothing more than contentment and an upgrade from my Squier Strat.

I'm looking at a Schecter and an Ibanez.

The Schecter is a C-1 Classic and the Ibanez is an RG1570.

Pro's and Con's? I'm not swayed one way or the other.

Or if you have another choice within the same price range and quality, I'd be happy put it up for consideration.

Thanks for any feedback.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

I'd take the Schecter. I have an Omen 6 that I just love! It gets played almost as much as my strat. I'm not overly familair with Ibanez. Their skinny necks just don't feel right in my hands. For the money a Schecter is hard to beat in my humble opinion. But, I own one so I could be biased. :shock: :lol: :wink:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Bish

Hi and welcome.

Try posting a similar question in the Guitar Players forum, I think you'll get more response.

I think overall though, the considered wisdom is going to be "get your butt down the music store, play as many as you can, and wait for one that screams "buy ME!" at you.".

In other words its a VERY personal thing. I have read hundreds and hundreds of threads on here based on "which guitar" and the majority of experienced players nearly always shy away from giving a direct recommendation. They always say to go and get the calling. And don't forget, thry even very from guitar to guitar, even for the same model.

there was a story on here a while ago based on "never buy a guitar built on a friday"....basically the moral was the guy in the factory building your guitar on a friday afternoon probably isn't trying quite as hard (because he can't wait to go for a beer or two...) than one built on a Tuesday.

I know I probably haven't helped much, but hey my fingers appreciated the workout :lol:

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Oh and from your avatar, surely your name should be.....

Bish Bash Bosh?

ha ha

:wink:

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

The Schecter is a C-1 Classic and the Ibanez is an RG1570.

Not sure which is better but I am buying a C-1 Classic in a paycheck or two.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I got the RG550, basically their 1570 from the early 90s. As pretty much every review will tell you it is a very good line, tight construction, stays in tune forever and has one of the smoothest and fastest necks around. Ultra low action gets a whole new meaning, trust me. However, the high-output buckers and floyd make it lean a bit towards hardrock and metal and I wouldn't get it for blues or the likes. No experience with the Schecter at all.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I was going to give this one some time to breath but do want to thank you all that have posted already.

This place is the best! :D

I'm heading to my local music store after work to check them out. Hope they are both around. I know MF has them both in stock so the temptations are getting stronger. I'll surface sometime after they kick me out. Yeah, even music employees go home occasionally.

One quick little question. How do you know if it was built on a Friday?

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

it will be horribly finished and have a "i am off to the pub" sticker on it!

Matt

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

it will be horribly finished and have a "i am off to the pub" sticker on it!

Matt

LOL, I'll be sure a look for it.

Bish

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, I've gotten closer to making a decision. I've had two Ibanez $500 models at my home over the course of the week and I had a buddy who owns a Schecter C-1 Elite bring it over and allow me to try it out. WOWZAH!!

I liked it so much I made him take it back before I left town with it. :)

So here's what I bought today and will have it by Wednesday. I ordered the Black Cherry model. I bought a form-fitting hardshell case, Levy suede strap and tube stand for it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/513010/

If that doesn't work out after I get it home, I'm going for this one. This one is out of stock for a while and I wanted something NOW....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/513105/

I hope I like the first one well enough to save the $100 considering I doubt these will ever give me any kind of ROI. This is a pleasure thing baby! :wink: :wink:

Thanks to all for your opinions and feedback. 8)

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

OH YEAH :!: :!: :!: :!:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

:shock: :shock: :shock:

My guitar, case, strap, stand and extra (free) 12 sets of strings showed up today.

EVERYONE PLEASE HEED THE FOLLOWING.

Do NOT have your new gear shipped to your work. You won't get anything done the rest of the day. :x :D

It came tuned and setup to play. I won't even have to take it somewhere to have anything done. My biggest problem now is the other players here at work won't stay out of my office.

Tough problem to have, I know. I'm disgusted. :wink: :wink:

Bish

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Just got home from work and need to clean the finger prints and drool stains from this beast. Just about to plug it in and try it out.

Here's what this little baby looks like. This exceeded all my expectations and those that have seen/touched it. :mrgreen:

Bish

ReplyQuote