??? Which guitar ???

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 tybo
(@tybo)
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

Im completely new here, had a newbie question for everyone. My bro bought me an esteban guitar for christmas, it was good at first. But, the more I played the more I notice how crappy it sounds. It buzzes and rumbles and i'm now looking into buying a new guitar. I've gotten to the point of not wanting to play b/c the thing sounds so off. I want to spend around $ 150, i've seen this yamaha fd01 at costco was wondering if anyone has this and could comment on it. Or if anyone has suggestions on the right guitar for me, THANK YOU ALL in advance for your help, greatly appreciated.

(@redpoint)
Reputable Member

I would recommend you go to a Guitar Center or other large music store if one is near you. Yamaha is a pretty good budget guitar. They make a wide variety. I think the FD01 is probably ok, but if you look for a Yamaha guitar that has an S in the name, that means it has a solid spruce top, which means it should start to sound better over time. (unless the label explicitly says solid spruce, it's not solid, its laminated).

Anyways, for $50 more, I would recommend a Yamaha FG700S, which sells for $200 at many music stores. It has a solid spruce top and sounds really nice. I wish I had one sometimes :)

If you go to a store, you can try all the $200 guitars and decide which one sounds good to you, but my money is on the Yamaha for the $200 price point.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

since you've already had a taste of a lower end guitar and how it can rob you of the desire to play, i would also suggest saving up a little more money and getting as much as you can afford.

Musiciansfriend.com has several in the $200=$300 range that would do very nicely.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/guitars-acoustic?N=100001%2b304276%2b9&Ns=P_RatingOverall%7c1&g=guitar&page=1

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

I am not sure a Yamaha is much of an improvement (opinion) and I totally agree with with TwistedLefty. You should ride it out for a bit and save for a better price range. 350-500 could get a pretty decent guitar. Whatever you get, at least try to have a solid top. Laminates are not all as bad as some may say, but the solid woods are the ticket.

If I were going to buy a guitar under $300 it would be a Washburn D10S ($200) or a Washburn WD32SW which is a solid wood guitar for around $360.

Dave is a reputable dealer: http://www.rggmusic.com/cat_washburn.cfm

You might also try taking you present guitar and try to have it setup by a pro--might make a huge difference. Maybe upgrade the nut and saddle from plastic to bone or another harder material. That type of upgrade is pretty inexpensive.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Have any of you guys actually seen an Esteban guitar? A coworker had bought her daughter one. (She didn't ask me first) I got the "cough" um, honor of setting this fine piece of fecal matter up. I got it from terrible to bad, so that was a major improvement. Still, it played very badly. Any Yamaha guitar would be a huge improvement over the Esteban. If you can get to the $300 range though, I believe you can go even to the next level. It wouldn't be a bad idea. The last thing I would advise though is sticking with that Esteban.

Side note: I have been amazed watching Esteban sell his product to unsuspecting beginners. There are scores of inexpensive instruments out there that are better than his contrary to what he leads you to believe. Go to Harmony Central and read an online review of one of his instruments. It's good for a laugh. http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Acoustic+Guitar/product/Esteban/Steel+String+Acoustic+Bundle/10/1

I was so impressed I even wrote a song about the guitar. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=476208&songID=4587882
The song was recorded with a $130 guitar and a $130 bass ..... to make a point I guess.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

recently at GC I saw beautiful Epiphone sunburst acoustics. they were on sale for under 200$.
I picked one up and gave it a go.
I was impressed. the neck felt good. no buzzing. intonation spot on.
Epiphones have slightly narrower necks.
very good for beginners.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 tybo
(@tybo)
Topic starter  

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will indeed save up a little more to spend on a higher end guitar. At times I really do want to make a youtube video of demolishing that guitar. In anycase I will post once I get my new guitar. Thanks again guys

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member

I own a Seagull S6+ and I've played a Yamaha FG700S. It's a really nice guitar. I've actually contemplated swapping my Seagull S6+ for one of the more expensive FGs, the FG730S. If you look at reviews or ask around on some other forums, there are a lot of people out there who think the Yamahas are a good deal :)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will indeed save up a little more to spend on a higher end guitar. At times I really do want to make a youtube video of demolishing that guitar. In anycase I will post once I get my new guitar. Thanks again guys
Don't forget the big black hat and sun glasses. :wink: Can my song be the sound track? :shock:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Hey guys,

Im completely new here, had a newbie question for everyone. My bro bought me an esteban guitar for christmas, it was good at first. But, the more I played the more I notice how crappy it sounds. It buzzes and rumbles and i'm now looking into buying a new guitar. I've gotten to the point of not wanting to play b/c the thing sounds so off. I want to spend around $ 150, i've seen this yamaha fd01 at costco was wondering if anyone has this and could comment on it. Or if anyone has suggestions on the right guitar for me, THANK YOU ALL in advance for your help, greatly appreciated.

Its already been suggested that you add a few more bucks to get into a $300ish range. Some of notable names in that range, along with Yamaha are Seagull, Blueridge, Washburn (I'm assuming you want an acoustic).

Eric

ReplyQuote