Notifications
Clear all

Which guitar should I settle on?

26 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@kill9)
Topic starter  

Hi, I'm a beginner, left handed who is interested in playing a great range of rock. Almost everything literally, Pink Floyd, Pantera, Megadeth and Classic Rock.

I've settled between two guitars:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar-501159-i1431993.gc

and

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-American-Standard-Stratocaster-Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar-761588-i1385916.gc

The consumer in me thinks $$$more is better but what do you think?

(@staffan)
Estimable Member

If you´re a complete beginner, then maybe you should settle for a less expensive electric - just to play around with for a year or two and see if you really like playing guitar. There´s lots of good Stratocaster-models out there, with another brand than Fender. I think the Squier has some good priced beginner guitars, and also the Vintage-brand gives you real value (and quality) for a much less price.

Although - if you´re confident you´ll be playing for some years to come, then my suggestion would be to go to a guitar shop and try the different models out. Come to think of it; that´s what you should do regardless of which price-range you´re looking for. :)

What feels good to me might not be the thing for you, so it´s really hard to advice in this matter. It´s what you like that matters.

Sorry I coultn´d be of any real help :roll: and good luck!

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I second that.

As a beginner, perhaps you should get your hands around several guitars, and find one that is comfortable, and has the feel and style that you want.

I can see that you like the very stylish guitars already, and what you are going for. The second guitar has a wider flatter fretboard, FWIW, and is quite costly.

What I think about your question re: cost, is that the second one is probably worth the money, because the specs and pieces are justifiably better than the number one.

If it doesn't hurt your pocketbook, you can spend what you want, but try to make sure you get the guitar that you want. In the event that the difference or sound is minimal, follow your hunch.

Of course you still need amplification, and the amp is going to cost, and will affect the sound. Size of amp will make it convenient or inconvenient for you. Try guitars with a few amps like Vox AC30 and others, possibly some modeling amps.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

the Fender American for those higher bucks will give you a pro guitar that will be amazing to play.
it is a really nice guitar. the craftsmanship is high end. you could never go wrong with that choice.
I totally agree with everyone else. try the lesser model.
nut if you know will be into guitar for the long haul then rob the piggy bank an get the Fender American.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Another thought too is ..... as a beginner would the difference be that noticable? How much of the money could you recoup trading the lesser priced Strat in on the American one a couple years down the road when you would notice the difference?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

side note: we have all learned to play on inexpensive instruments. then we upgrade to a better one. this is when we learn how nice it is to play. the strings don't buzz and the action is low. the neck feels like a glove and the fret ends no longer feel like a saw blade. the intonation is super sweet. the knobs turn like butter.
the playing sure becomes easier. and the final thought is
why didn't I get a good guitar to learn on.??

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@colin-rp)
Eminent Member

Go to the store and play. When I was beginning I thought buying by looking at the pictures. But picking up a instrument w/o plugging in gives you a really good feel for what it sounds like? Does it fit your hands? Do the strings buzz. then play it the ones you like best plugged straight into a p.a. and the the different sonic characteristics and finally plugged into an amp. Take your time and don't be afraid to make the salesperson work.

ReplyQuote
(@kill9)
Topic starter  

I went with a Mexican Made Fender Stratocaster. Should be here Monday. Can't wait :D

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I went with a Mexican Made Fender Stratocaster. Should be here Monday. Can't wait :D

Good for you! Did you get the Standard - statistically speaking, that's the one that sells the most, and they're fine. 8) And there are also various Deluxe models, just curious, or a re-issue of an early American? It will be a nice guitar. Enjoy!

P.S. We've had some testimonials here already, anywhoo, my most-used Strat was this 1993 MIM. We wore the original rosewood neck and frets out completely for about 10 - 11 years; the frets became so sharp from bending that each one was like a razor blade, and would take the end of your finger off, if you slid a note. I got a new MIM maple neck, yr. 2002 - 2004, somewhere in there and customized it more to play a few good years with some serious jammers then retired it.

I also have the 1993 mirror image, lefty version it, they were like twins. The lefty still has it's rosewood neck and mainly original pieces. I flipped the nut around, filed it 'facing forward' & got a set of unique pickups made by Cam Atkinson. :P

Oh, and BTW, the righty is a loosely-based copy of Dave Gilmour's 1954 #0001, and the other is like 'one of Jimi's', but backwards. There was no Gilmour Strat, unless there were boutique versions of a black, worn-out one, and Hendrix's were very expensive MIA's, and limited in numbers. They make a very good collectible, but if it will be played a bit, home-made or a personal touch of your own can be fun & rewarding. I have several, but there's another fave, 1996 in Lake Placid Blue with overwound '57-'62 pickups. I've owned the same guitar twice in my life, and now it is home to stay.
I also brought the black 98 MIM Std. out of its sleep and reworked it to become a usable blues player/rock 'n roll machine.

Back to you, I'm very happy that yours is on the way! They become very personal and I'm sure you will baby it & have fun.

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@kill9)
Topic starter  

Its a Standard Stratocaster, lefty. Mine is black with the white pickguard

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Its a Standard Stratocaster, lefty. Mine is black with the white pickguard

Nice! That's a classic combo - great that you can order your lefty - sweeeet!

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@kill9)
Topic starter  

Yeah. Its pretty sweet. It was supposed to come in today(Friday) but they messed up the order and so I had to reorder it... So its coming in Monday. I found a cheap-o Ibanez on craigslist for 40 bucks, it needs new pickups and the cable input just spins around...but otherwise its not bad. I know I got the Fender coming in but the Ibanez just sounded too low of a price to pass up.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Settle? Who the heck settles?!? Nope, sorry, not good enough, you'll have to pick one and then immediately start saving for the next one! :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

The Fender Standard Strat is a great guitar. Play it well and you can record/gig professionally with it.

Good Choice! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@kill9)
Topic starter  

Settle? Who the heck settles?!? Nope, sorry, not good enough, you'll have to pick one and then immediately start saving for the next one! :wink:

LOL true. Maybe I'll get a custom guitar later. This should be fine for a year or two.
The Fender Standard Strat is a great guitar. Play it well and you can record/gig professionally with it.

Good Choice! 8)

I hope so! and thanks :D

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2