Clear all

Which is the best pickup config for me

22 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@austax)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks mate, and seeing you live in Sydney would you happen to know where the cheapest guitar store(s) is or which ones to avoid at all costs?

I don't know of any to avoid.. I've heard the larger stores can usually be haggled down on price (definitely haggle a bit), but the smaller stores will often give better customer service and can have more knowledgable/helpful staff.
Again, this is probably just a generalisation...

I buy most of my stuff second hand coz i'm a tight arse :)

search the yellowpages and go to as many as you can in your area or spend your weekly paycheck on petrol driving between them all around Sydney

Im also a tightarse (Check your pm) But I am starting to think it might just be easier to buy brand new rather than 2nd hand.
I have got a fairly good list of stores that do things cheap, but Im trying to find the best, as the ones with prices on the net might not be the cheapest out there. Also is it always likely to get further discount by paying cash?

"I am a Australian"

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

Also is it always likely to get further discount by paying cash?

ask them.

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@austax)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

With guitars can you change the necks between brands and models? Say putting a Ibanez Wizard on a Pacifica body?

"I am a Australian"

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Although, you're talking about your first guitar, I would personally get a Humbucker/single/humbucker with a coil tap for the two buckers. Oh yeah and active pickups please. Neck with the playability of a Les Paul and the smoothness of a maple fretboard on a Strat. Yeah! And while I'm at it. Peizo transducers in the bridge saddles. Hard tail please....and I'll have a medium fries and a vanilla milkshake with that.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
 PenJ
(@penj)

It might be a good idea to condense your list, look at it from a standpoint of what core charac teristics (soundwise) are a common element to the instruments used by the artists you wish to emulate.Do they tend to use certain instruments, with specific brands of pickups?, do the instruments have common hardware features? or encorporate specific woods etc. most of these elements will dictate the cost of your selection. NOW, you.ve got to put in the leg work, play any and everything so as to begin to home in on the instrument that sounds, plays, and most importantly feels right and to you! IMHO, buying a guitar is a lot like buying a good pair of shoes - rarely will you find a pair that will do everything, but nothing fits like a good fit and then....you get to "break em in" and make them your shoes - you feelin me? So go out indulge in the hunt!

'

ReplyQuote
 PenJ
(@penj)

It might be a good idea to condense your list, look at it from a standpoint of what core charac teristics (soundwise) are a common element to the instruments used by the artists you wish to emulate.Do they tend to use certain instruments, with specific brands of pickups?, do the instruments have common hardware features? or encorporate specific woods etc. most of these elements will dictate the cost of your selection. NOW, you.ve got to put in the leg work, play any and everything so as to begin to home in on the instrument that sounds, plays, and most importantly feels right and to you! IMHO, buying a guitar is a lot like buying a good pair of shoes - rarely will you find a pair that will do everything, but nothing fits like a good fit and then....you get to "break em in" and make them your shoes - you feelin me? So go out indulge in the hunt!

'

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I've been playing seriously for only a little over a year now.

I took the dumb expensive route and bought one of every thing to understand why the are all so different. I got my education and now can realize I'm beginning to develop an ear for the tones made by guitars. If you don't have that yet, it will become invaluable. It may also help you decide what tone(s) you want to represent yourself.

As others have stated, you need to go play all the ones you can. And for more than a few minutes on each one. Get a feel for the size and shape of the neck. (my latest learning trend). That will help you find a guitar that you'll like to play. Then from there you should be able to find one with the tones you require. It won't happen over night but may take from many months to many years depending on your daily involvement.

What ever you decide, by doing some research up front, you'll be way more pleased in the long run and more knowledgable as you go.

When you find the right guitar for starting out....post some pix.

If you want a good 1 year old Epiphone Les Paul, I have a mint one with case for sale for $250 in the Swap Meet section. Its pickups are HH. Sweet guitar, too. Black Cherry with gold hardware. Looks as good as it plays.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2