Skip to content
Which is the most v...

Notifications
Clear all

Which is the most versatile instrument ?

63 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
13.6 K Views
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Once you figure out a guitar I suppose it makes sense, but with the piano you don't need to memorize string names and the lack of sharps to certain notes still throws me off :wink:
Ok, it is possible. Probably, you are "seeing" all the notes when you are in front of the keyboard and it is easier identify where a C is. However, the next "step" in a guitar is always the next semitone, in the piano, there are white and black keys and it is not easy transpose a song. I know how to put several chords on the piano but I have to think how to put a chord a semitone up.

I guess each instrument has its own advantages and disadvantages. It is possible that the "standard" tuning was not logical, some string are separated by a fourth, another by a third... It is easier to form some chords in that way. As Ricochet said, the open tunings are more logical.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

On the keyboard, try moving your fingers up so you play on and between the black keys and you can move your patterns around exactly the same way you do on a fretboard. Ignore that some of the keys are raised and some aren't, except that it's easy to "slide" or "bend" into a note by hitting a black key and slipping right off it to hit the adjacent white key.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

but with the piano you don't need to memorize string names and the lack of sharps to certain notes still throws me off :wink:
Any western instrument has the same flats and sharps. Based on how they are tuned they might be somewhere you didn't expect. :wink:

A diatonic harmonica in the key of C has no flats or sharps (unless you bend notes, which I guess counts as somewhere you didn't expect!)l

And a whole slew of almost sharps and flats, depending on your bending skill :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5