Clear all

Which would you buy...

19 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So I'm finally going to splurge on a nice acoustic. I have played and love a Guild D55 and Martin D-28 at my local shop. The price is similar (the Martin maybe $250 more). Any thoughts? The Guild seems like an absolutely beautiful instrument and honestly sounds better (IMHO) than the D-28 but the Martin... well... it's a Martin :D Also for a $2000 guitar the Guild seems like "more" guitar (nicer finish, more detail/inlay thouches,...) than the even more expensive Martin. Am I just paying for the name? The shop guy said now that Fender ownes Guild they are really returning them to a world class guitar builder (at least for the US made instruments).

All thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Charlie

(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

Are you buying it for an investment or to play it? If it is the latter, there is only one benchmark that matters. Get the one that sounds better.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Big Lar, with one tiny reservation - as the wood ages and matures, the tone may change. But overall, I'd say go for the guitar that sounds the best, feels most comfortable, and listen to your gut instinct!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

+1

In the $2000 range... both guitars should be and sound very good.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Martin D-28, if I had the cash and I was at your place. Check out some youtube vids on Martin D-28. They do sound sweet.

In a heartbeat !

ReplyQuote
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either guitar - both are solid wood and both would age very nicely. My biggest regret is not a buying a lefty D-35 back in the late '70's when I had the chance because they don't make them for southpaws anymore. Not sure of the timing but I believe Guilds were being made at the Tacoma factory in Washington State and is slated to be moved to Connecticut (I think? there was an obscure note on the Tacoma guitar website). And yes, Fender does own them along with Ovation and Tacoma who are also moving.

Personally, I would go with what felt more comfortable and gave *you* the nicest sound. I'm trying to decide between a Larrivee and a Martin but, in my case, I know the Martin mystique is part of the attraction because they were the best when I was growing up (assumes I've grown up) but dollar for dollar, my ear prefers the Larrivee

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all. This decision is going to be the death of me. I have played a few Martins over the years (D-45, D-25, 000,...) and I found all of them to play amazing. When I got to the time in my life when I was going to plunk down $2k+ for an axe it was a given that it would be a Martin. Incidentally, I have a friend who "collects" high end guitars so I have strummed custom shop Gibson's, Taylor's, Rainsong's, Bourgeois', ... and again, those Martin's felt the best to me. Then I was in the shop and the owner told me I HAD to play the Guild (and this guitar was less than the D-28 I had my eye on). Crap! Why did he do this to me... I absolutely love the Guild. Argh... starting to waffle on my commitment to someday own a Martin.

Well... I think it's back to the shop for some more "together time" with both guitars and make my mind up once and for all. I'll let you all know which way I went.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

$2000 and $2250 for these guitars? Those are not good prices. Shop around -- you should be able to beat web prices at a good store.

As far as Martins go, even though they feel "right" to me, I've only found a few whose tones I really like -- lots of variation. IMO, the HD-28 usually sounds signficantly better than the typical D-28 ... and costs more as well.

Follow your heart, not the marque!

Good luck

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either guitar - both are solid wood and both would age very nicely. My biggest regret is not a buying a lefty D-35 back in the late '70's when I had the chance because they don't make them for southpaws anymore.

Are you sure of it ? Should I give you a ray of light of hope ?

Martin still makes lefty guitars. And it does make lefty D-35 (even HD-35, to say about it)..

Here are the links -

1. Martin D-35
2. Martin D-28

Maybe you can get em' now...

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

thread derail

Can you really call an acoustic guitar an "axe" ?

/thread derail

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

do the side by side test in the small quiet room.
play the same thing on each. trust your ear, but how it feels is most important.
if it feels similar to that feel of your worn shoe or slipper and
your left hand hits anything you want it to do then
that is the one.
the Guild could increase with more value because of the bling detailing.
Guilds are good guitars. period.
a Martin acoustic is guaranteed for life.
I have one and it has taken on great personality and tone.
a good flatpicking guitar for me.

in this price range you cannot do wrong.
as always, look carefully at the build quality in each part and detail.
everything needs to be perfect for the money.
oh man. relax. and enjoy. what a thrill.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

Are you sure of it ?

Sorry Rahul I should have been more specific - Guild also makes a D35 and that was the one I had in my hands once upon a time.
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Acoustic+Guitar/product/Guild/D-35/10/1

The only lefty that Guild makes that I am aware of is the GAD50 - confirmed by an email to Guild.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Acoustic+Guitar/product/Guild/GAD-50/10/1

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

thread derail

Can you really call an acoustic guitar an "axe" ?

/thread derail

yes -- axe is a general term for any instrument ... even keyboard (heh). but the confusion is understandable as electrics get swung as axes far more often than any other instrument

back to the problem at hand...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

$2000 for a Guild???? Where was that Guild made? I thought all the new ones were made in China.

For $2000 you can have a CUSTOM Larrivee. Check them out. Made in Canada.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

if you think the Guild sounds better, then it's a no-brainer, you get the Guild. Don't buy on labels.

And yes I agree with everyone, that's way expensive.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2