Skip to content
Whiskey Strat - wha...

Notifications
Clear all

Whiskey Strat - what do you think it'll go for?

26 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi friends, I recently finished up my Whiskey Strat guitar body and have put it up for sale to the highest bidder. I know many of you are probably sick of my beer/liquor covered creations :lol: by now, but I wanted to get your thoughts.

I also think it might be fun for people to guess the final auction price - I might be wrong, but I think it would be fun. :wink:

Anyway, here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280078701454&rd=1&rd=1

Let me know what you think. Any opinions on how it turned out?

Ok, later.

Oh, and I'm also finishing up a Guinness Label Strat pickguard (sss)... ok, maybe I should just go practice...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I think its an awesome idea, pretty bad ass looking guitar too. Not sure how much you'll make off of it. I thought it might make more money if it was completed (neck, wiring, etc). I don't really expect the bids to go too high, to be honest with you, this seems like something you might find more personal value out of. I'm really surprised you are selling it! If I had money, I'd be tempted to get it for a friend of mine who likes his alcohol more than he should :lol:

That said, I hope I'm wrong, and I hope you make some nice money out of it. Good luck.

Edit: Didn't mean donkey up above^

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

I like it. I also would think you would get more if it were a guitar, but I may be wrong. It looks great.

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

A new body will go for around 200+ at an online dealer, so I expect you'll get somewhere less than that. There doesn't seem to be a huge market on ebay for bodies, so I think you'll get around a hundred for it.

Hopefully you get more, though.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Great job Dali, good luck.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

LOOKIN' GOOD! Wish I needed one, but building a custom Strat isn't on my to-do list right now. Good luck with the auction! BTW, I could have helped empty some of those bottles...;)

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I could have helped empty some of those bottles...;)

Why do you think he had so much fun doing it?

Seriously, looks great - someone reckoned you might get $100 for it, I'd have thought the fact it's a unique piece of art would have pushed the price up.

Hmmm - no Bushmills, no Glenfiddich?

Good luck - hope you get a good price!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I think there is a pattern emerging in your work, I can't quite put my finger on it but there is something there.

I'm gonna guess, UHH,;..............$65.

Hope you get $100 tho.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

A new body will go for around 200+ at an online dealer, so I expect you'll get somewhere less than that. There doesn't seem to be a huge market on ebay for bodies, so I think you'll get around a hundred for it.

Hopefully you get more, though.

Well, if I get less than $100 I'll be very disappointed and this would be the last one I do. Contrary to common sense, in guitar building/buying, the sum of the parts is NOT AS valuable as the parts themselves. "Building your dream" strat or tele is almost ALWAYS going to cost you more if you buy individual parts than just buying the assembled guitar.

I would counter that there is a very nice market for bodies on eBay - usually 250+ listed at any given time. A Squier body will usually go for $60, a MIM body for $110, a Japan/Korea body will go for $110 - $225 and a USA body will go for $175 - $500.

I have no idea what this thing will go for... and the outcome will determine if I do these anymore. If it goes for more than $200 I'll do another, if not I'll probably "retire"... No point in all the time and energy and materials for little or no profit.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

I agree with you on the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. I have seen this many times on ebay. The only caveat is when someone is building their dream guitar they usually have it in their mind what they want and then they create it. You have taken and applied some of that creation already, cutting down on your pool of potential buyers. I hope you do get what you need to out of it, as I said I like it. Just my 2 cents, worth about .5...

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Dali, that is really cool looking!

I have no clue what you can get for it, depends on the day and who is shopping at the moment.

I would guess that you could command a much higher price if you made them to custom order. People who want the perfect personalized gift will pay high dollar to get what they want and have a hand in the design. And the price would be established up front, rather than seeing what you can get out of it after all the work has been put in.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

^interesting idea Margaret, not a bad career, eh?

Looks like its going well though Dali, up to 50 already, and still 3 days left, 8 bidders...Good luck :)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

There is a market for anything Stratish on Ebay.

Well I wish that my guess would have lasted until the last day but NOOOO. Im already WRONG and there are 3 days left.

I hope you make enough on this body to buy more labels for your next mod.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ha... thanks. Well, there are currently 38 people watching it...

I think it is really interesting just seeing if there is a market for this... I've never seen anything like it, so it is an unknown. I enjoy selling things on eBay just for the fun of watching the auction. I almost always sell starting at 0.99 with no reserve because it is much more fun. It's a hobby for me.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Man what would you do if you started doing custom orders and someone wanted a Schlitz or Pabst guitar.....I wouldn't wanna have to drink enough of that to get the labels :)

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2