Notifications
Clear all

Who makes you skin crawl

168 Posts
60 Users
0 Likes
24 K Views
(@freerider)

Ozone and Scooter, sickeningly bad "music".

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Rap................. :roll:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Greybeard wrote.....

"anyone who takes someone else's classic and uses it as a background for their own miserable lack of talent"

the ultimate example of this must be Puff Daddy or whatever he calls himself these days....thinking of "Every Breath You Take" and "Kashmir"..

Will Young, Gareth Gates, manufactured boy Bands....especially Westlife...in my opinion the most talentless collection of so-called singers in history....

I'd almost managed to forget the motley selection of acts Stock Aitken and Waterman put together in the late 80's...Kylie, Jason, Sinitta, Sonia, and of course our old friend Rick Astley.......

Now I'm depressed......

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member

New "Country"....that pseudo pop crap that comes from the likes of Shania Twain. Trying to bride the gap between country and popular music and it makes me want to pull off my own head and throw it out the window...

Give me...Cash, Nelson, Perkins, Lynne, Haggard, Ralph Stanley...anyday!

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

New "Country"....that pseudo pop crap that comes from the likes of Shania Twain. Trying to bride the gap between country and popular music and it makes me want to pull off my own head and throw it out the window...

Give me...Cash, Nelson, Perkins, Lynne, Haggard, Ralph Stanley...anyday!
I always use to say that I didn't like country music until I discovered that modern country music like Toby Keith wasn't "real" country music. The older stuff is good and original. I was amazed! What has happened to rock (e.g. Good Charlotte, Yellowcard) is what has happened to country.. this is all just my humble opinion of course.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I picked up a student in early October who wants to learn new country, so I got a few CDs to get a good handle on the style. On first listen, I didn't care for it very much.

On the other hand, I didn't care for Ornette Coleman the first time I heard him either. Now that I've been listening to the stuff for a few weeks, I find some pretty nice background work in it, and some ideas I can take to other genres.

I'll listen to almost anything, at least a few times. I went to a punk concert with my 14 year old, and overall I thought the bands were more about theatrics than music, but I appreciated the fact that several of the performers were actually musicians. There was substance to it, even if it wasn't my cup of tea. Bands like Rancid... well, I don't really go for the music, but some of the bass lines have a decent groove to them.

The only style I won't listen to is disco. It's not that I have anything against the music... just that I was beginning to work paid gigs a few months before 'Saturday Night Fever' came out. Within the next two years, the venues available for live music shrunk by at least 75%. By cutting into the market, it also got rid of a lot of people that I could have learned from, so I won't listen to it as a sort of politcal statement.

Yeah, I know... a lotta good it does. Still, be true to yourself, as the man says :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@karl-78)

Nickelback and Puddle of Mud ... I can't really explain it...just can't stand 'em.

ReplyQuote
(@nwoodgirl)
Trusted Member

Almost everything played on commercial radio.

There was one song I heard last year that was pretty good, but I've only heard it once since then, and couldn't find out the title or artist. Even more annoying.

-- Scratch 8)
You should come to Belgium... you would not believe what they play here on the radio. Horrid! 99.9999% of anything sung in French also kills me.

ReplyQuote
(@tonedeaf)
Trusted Member

Some bands that when they come on my "Classic Rock" radio station, I get embarrassed (especially if someone else is around) and have to change the station as quickly as possible:

Yes

Truth is, I hardly ever listen to radio anyway, as I just listen to my iPod wherever I go. No commercials and only the music I want to hear.
i gotta disagree with you on the Yes reference... in my book they are one of the bands that would be mentioned in the definition in the dictionary under 'classic rock'... and i am talking about the stuff they did in the 70s and not necessarily in the 80s+... the line up of anderson, bruford, wakeman, squire and howe is IMHO, classic

though i do agree with you on the practicality and peronality of the iPod... i have mine integrated with a central audio system in my house, and my car... therefore, what makes my skin crawl is listening to anything other than what is in my library... i very rarely tune in to fm, anymore... and all of my cd's have been ripped and are now residing on the iPod

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

RAP / HIP HOP there is nothing that tweaks me quiker then that garbage

- Eminem - My cricket bat has his name all over it

- Fred Durst - nough said.

i have to be honest here and sellout but britney "superboobs" spears is smokin in my book so for that reason i won't turn of the radio when her tune comes on.

We also have this cultural music bull (kwaito) they have here that also anoys the hell out of me.

oh and anything that doesn't have hetfield behind the guitar :D

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Thank you Minus_Human. I had almost forgotten how much I hate the racket that spoiled, arrogant, jackass, Eminem crams down teen throats. That boy is a waste of a good cricket bat. Grab a cheap aluminum baseball if you get the chance.

Since I'm here what about the old mullet meisters Michael Bolton and Billy Ray Cyrus.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@gmilam)
Estimable Member

Remember that Crash Test Dummies Song where he just hummed through most of it....Whatever that guys name is....I hate him. If there are any other guys out there that hum in their song...I probably hate them as well.

Not a big fan of the "yodelers"either, like:

Alannis
Cranberries
enya

Then there's the I'm an angry white rapper guy category like, Fred Durst, and Eminem. Sometimes their meter is really cool, but they lace it with som much profanity that it just blows.

Oh yeah....and gospel country groups like Oak Ridge Boys. The only thing worse than one guy singing really bad country music....is five guys singing really bad country music.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you think that I thought I once was - White Goodman (Dodgeball)

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

You should come to Belgium... you would not believe what they play here on the radio. Horrid!
I spent an hour in Belgium 13 years ago. They didn't have the radio on, though. Doesn't sound terribly different than our radio.

-- Scratch 8)

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

I'm probably on my own in a forum like this but Clapton is definately at the top of my skin crawl list.

Lee

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

I find respect in every genre of music. Yes, even rap. (SOMETIMES) the rythm can be really complex, and i like trying to deciper it, although I'm not a fan of pop CULTURE, pop music also has a place in my musical library. I won't deny I still occasionally listen to savage garden.
Death metal and other scream-only type music really gets on my nerves. I heard a song the other day by sepultura...i think it was called "roots bloody roots" or something like that...and i nearly vomited with disgust. You know who I do like... is usher. Not bad R&B. but i'd take beethoven or mozart over any of that stuff. I'm also starting to like some somewhat scream bands like atreyu, A7X, and alexisonfire. Nice melodies, and deep lyrics, although very hard to understand.But enough rambling from me, I need to sleep.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 12