Clear all

Who makes you skin crawl

168 Posts
60 Users
0 Likes
23.9 K Views
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

:evil: :evil: I detest trance, techno, and all other "computer/playstation" made music. :evil: :evil:

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

-New U2(that "Vertigo" song makes me actively angry...."1, 2, 3, 14" :x )

Roflmao. Never really thought of that. Too funny.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

William Shatner

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@cabreraluvr7)
Estimable Member

Hiliary Duff and Lindsay Lohan! Not only is the "I wanna be a thriple threat" annoying but neither of them can sing. The only people that like them are lil 10 year old girls but their not even role model worthy. Unless ur motto is "I wanna grow up to be a slut!" Some of my friends are their fan and I'm like y would u wanna be their fan??? I would rather listen to nails scraping on a chalk bored all day then listen to ONE of their songs!

Oh yea...Whoever doesnt like Ryan Cabrera is......INSANE!! :D :D

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

OK, my .02 cents here.

I HATE RAP...hate it hate it hate it hate it. Its not music. Its not Art, its bullshit.

I "Peave" over manufactured groups of any kind.
I really, really PEAVE over bands that, when you hear them live, don't sound anything like they do on their records except for their "HITS". Its discusting. To me it says that they need all the processing and studio "TRICKS" to make them sound good and they just can't have that on stage, which leads me to think, are they really talented? Or just "another" studio band....hmmm.

I miss the old "Stage" Bands.. Pink Floyd, Eagles, Pretenders, even Elton John, yup saw him once and it was one of the best shows. I miss the bands that put it together live just as much as they do in the studio.

Oh.. and I hate anything that has to do with any kind of "80's Butt ROCK" Arrrggghhh!!! Then again I thought I was a punker, new-waver, ska, rockabilly, new muzak YAKK!!"

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I HATE RAP...hate it hate it hate it hate it. Its not music. Its not Art, its BS.

Isn't the core of rap pretty much exactly what blues is? Some poor downtrodden folks talking about how unfair life is? Maybe it lacks the same sincerity most comtemporary blues lacks and I can understand a bitter dislike of the MTV-rap but saying the entire genre blows?

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

I HATE RAP...hate it hate it hate it hate it. Its not music. Its not Art, its BS.

Isn't the core of rap pretty much exactly what blues is? Some poor downtrodden folks talking about how unfair life is? Maybe it lacks the same sincerity most comtemporary blues lacks and I can understand a bitter dislike of the MTV-rap but saying the entire genre blows?

Isn't the whole idea of this thread is that it's an open invitation to express one's opinion as to what makes THEIR "skin crawl".

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Isn't the core of rap pretty much exactly what blues is?
Arjen,

You could be right about that point, but...You show me a Rapper that could play a 12 bar rythem on a guitar, or a base, and show me a Rapper who could play even a simple 8, 10 or 12 bar solo and you'll get a 'half' salute from me. I don't know any Rappers that actually play any instruments... nor do I care.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Anything but Tallica is Sh**T to me :D

just kidding,
Arjen,

You could be right about that point, but...You show me a Rapper that could play a 12 bar rythem on a guitar, or a base, and show me a Rapper who could play even a simple 8, 10 or 12 bar solo and you'll get a 'half' salute from me. I don't know any Rappers that actually play any instruments... nor do I care

Can't stand rap really at all myself, but as were generalizing and putting all rap artist in one bucket IMO and I'm struggling with admitting this, like the guy or not lyrically some of eminem's stuff is good

I agree the stuff you here from 50Cent and rappers in that group/class is total junk real bad. I think allot of people are alienated by the fact that wherever you turn on the TV you get this junk stuffed in your face. Kinda like when the 80's hair metal was so big that if you could play 3 chords and had songs with the words “oh baby oh baby” you get signed.

There are so many junk acts out today because record companies are riding this wave trying to cash in as much as they can, until the next fad comes along.

personally i don't think anyone's less of a muso if he can't play guitar or bass/drums or whatever.

writing songs/structuring singing all those things are more difficult IMO than playing an instrument like guitar, some of those things (singing) can't be learned - you have it or you don't. IMO you're not less of a muso if you can't play a note on an instrument

the same with song writing some people just have the ability to put there heart on a piece of paper and connect with other people – some don't

PEACE

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If rappers are "poor down-trodden" folk, where do they get all the jewellery from? Yet to see a rapper without half-a-ton of gold festooned around his neck, chest wrists etc...

The main difference to me between rap and blues is FEELING... you can't play the blues without feeling....you only get out of the blues what you put into it, and if you don't put your heart and soul into it, you're going to get NOTHING out of it...

whereas rap seems cold, detached and emotionless to me...just a vapid, insipid form of social commentary, usually with the added bummer that the music is stolen from what was originally a good record...that's if there is actually any music, and it's not just drums and bass...

Sorry, but as a form of musical expression, rap just doesn't cut it for me - everything seems to have the same beat, the same tune (IF there is a tune) and the same lyrics...

Case in point, the first rap record ever to become a hit in this country (the UK)....the sugarhill mob, about 15 meandering minutes of meaningless posturing...and where did the music come from? Pretty sure it was an old Chic (Nile Rodgers and Bernie Edwards) tune.... and it's gone downhill ever since....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Vic: BB king and Sir Eric Clapton don't have much financial problems either. If you're not into a genre you'll only hear the mainstream hits on radio/mtv. When it's mainstream it sells alot. So those rap acts you hear and see most are the well-marketed plastic fake lamers. 90% of electric guitar solo's currently in the charts are lame cliche tunes, that doesn't mean a rapper should think all electric guitar is lame. Rap didn't start at the MTV Awards, it started in the ghetto's whereas blues starded on the slave fields.

Dagwood: you'd be amazed how many raprock acts are jumping out of the ground. Rapping guitarists are not unknown at all. Just a matter of time before that comes on MTW. Besides, are you saying all those vocalists who didnt 'play guitar in all the rockbands in the past were poor musicians?
Isn't the whole idea of this thread is that it's an open invitation to express one's opinion as to what makes THEIR "skin crawl".

Yes. Does that mean that this is a garbage bin where you just dump your opinion and get on your way? Seems much more interesting to actually talk about it. Likeing/disliking a certain band is different from disliking a genre of thousands of varied acts based on genre. And if it turns out someone can find out about doifferent bands then they know maybe we'll actually gain something here. I might dislike (example!) the beatles because I can't stand poppy piano, but someone might then point me at stuff that's wildly different.

You can dump your opinion, I did it myself too. And you don't have to talk about why you dislike it. No problem. But I come to the discussion forums for discussions. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

Yes, if someone so chooses to intepret this thread as a place to "dump" an opinion and scurry along, I say let them do so.

Music is a very personal thing. I raises my hackles a little bit when people question the validity of another's opinion. My opinion is my own. By definition, it's mine, and it's 100% valid. Not because it's right or wrong, there's no such thing. It's valid because it's MINE, and mine alone.

I enjoy a lively discussion/debate as much as anyone. Maybe what I find objectionable is the (real or imagined) condescending tone that seems to accompany some of the responses to peoples opinions.

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Music is a very personal thing. I raises my hackles a little bit when people question the validity of another's opinion. My opinion is my own. By definition, it's mine, and it's 100% valid. Not because it's right or wrong, there's no such thing. It's valid because it's MINE, and mine alone.

You're confusing opinions with preferences. Someone's opinion can indeed be wrong. If I say it's my opinion that the earth is flat, it's my opinion but it's still wrong. Preferences, on the other hand, are likes and dislikes. Saying I like chocolate more than vanilla is a preference and is not wrong or right.

I'm with Arjen, I find it more interesting when some discussion is brought to the table about these things rather than just hit and run posts.

Now, I don't like rap, but I do think that true rap does indeed have a lot of emotion to it, much like blues. A lot of it just comes from anger rather than sadness or despair. I find the influence that ghetto life has on rap is similar to the influence that slave life and ghetto life in the 50s 60s Chicago had on blues. FWIW, BB King has stated that he really enjoys listening to rap.

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

OK, you got me there. You're right...preference is a much better word.

So, semantics aside, sorry if it sounded like I was trying to pick a fight. I just think people ought to be able state their opini....er, preferences without being criticized for doing so.

I don't happen to like rap either. I don't offer a reason...I just don't like it. I also don't like spinach. Yes, I know it has a lot of iron, and it shares traits with other yummy green, leafy vegetables. But I stiil don't like it.

I shouldn't have to apologize for it.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Dagwood: you'd be amazed how many raprock acts are jumping out of the ground. Rapping guitarists are not unknown at all. Just a matter of time before that comes on MTW. Besides, are you saying all those vocalists who didnt 'play guitar in all the rockbands in the past were poor musicians?

Arjen, buddy, you've been really nice and helpful to me in the past, so please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not in attack mode nor trying to start an argument with you but...Let me turn this around on you.. <grin>

Are you saying that someone that starts a tune with a backing track that is clearing Ripped-off, and change it just the tiniest bit, so they can call it their own... then spout off with an opening line of something so absurd...oh say something like..." Two trailer park girls go round the outside, round the outside." is truely musical? Truely an artist of quality? REALLY??!! Are you?

Then my dear friend, I could take a lump of mud, or dirt, or clay or shit for that matter, bake it the oven and call myself a sculpturer.

And by the way, I enjoy the fact that you wanna talk about the opinions and not just have this as a dumping ground for em. But remember, they're just opinions and there's no such thing as a wrong opinion, cuz its just that, an opinion.... ok now I wonder if I could say opinion just one more time.......hehehehe.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 12