Clear all

Why do we buy guitars on Impluse buy?

20 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I only have one guitar (out of 6) that WASN'T an impulse buy. I don't know why, you can only play one at a time & I find taking any more than two to a gig is more trouble than it's worth.... and then which two?! :lol:

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

I've never actually gone to the store unless I had the intention of buying something so I can't say I've ever bought something on impulse. Usually I've saved and saved for months and know what I want before hand as well. After striking out with cheap guitar like my Behringer pedal and Squier strat, I'm never ever buying something just because it's cheap again.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

two of my nine were intentional. starting a vacation I went to a guitar store to buy strings. then I saw a Jerry Jones sitar/guitar. I bought that on impulse, but don't regret it. my laps steels were impulse, but again, no regrets. in fact, they opened the secret doorway to guitar playing. I have learned so much more by having them.

I have made peace with my guitar impulse buying. I deserve them. I put them to good use. Plus I could waste my money on as ton of other things, but I don't.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

it would be nice to have enough money to buy something that costs over $50 on "impulse"
but on second thought, if i lacked the willpower to resist and had that kind of spare money lying around i would probably be in a world of hurt...

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

Well getting a semi-hollow was on my future buy list when it showed up in the used instrument section. The new models of the Parkwood Hybrid had disappeared and it seems if few more are coming.
It sounded right, it was under the budget for the next guitar and the tax rebate check had just been deposited. So I pulled the debit card out before someone else got it.

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

Guitars are like puppies in the pet store. Someone needs to take them home and love them.

Fortunately my wife understands when I say "it followed me home."

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

None of my guitars were impulse buys but one of my dulcimers was! I saw it and couldn't resist! My money was burning a hole in my pocket! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

The universe speaks to you. I'm in a situation where I simply CAN'T overspend my budget, whether on impulse or otherwise. (Third world countries don't offer much in the way of credit. So any guitar I buy is a cash purchase.) But somehow, I seem to see guitars I want, for the cash I happen to have. Then, I'm impulse city.

I have three guitars- two impulse buys, one gift.

I keep meaning to plan to buy the next one, but shipments are irregular here, and there's never any way to know what the shop will get in stock- and when it does, how long it will last. So if they have one I want and can afford, no way am I leaving the shop without it; I've made that mistake, and won't be repeating it. On my most recent impulse buy, I made my girlfriend wait in the shop to keep them from selling it while I went to the bank. ç

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I prefer to think of it as a decisive buy rather than an impulse buy. I've done a lot of decisive buying -- about half the herd.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Everything i buy is an impulse buy, but i still manage to justify it somehow so whats the harm. I normally have rough ideas of what i want whenever i go into GAK and then walk out 2 hours later with something totally differant.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I can't help endlessly trolling pawn shops for that un-noticed gem. I'm not expecting a 50's tele or Les Paul, but I just can't help myself! Unfortunatley I think the days of pawn-shop owners not knowing what they've got has GONE! Most do a bit of research over then net now instead of just looking at the finish on the guitar! Latest craving is for an old tube amp... who knows hey? :lol:

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

ReplyQuote
(@fever-and-hum)
Eminent Member

I am the least impulsive person that you can imagine.
No, I have to whine for a long time, before I'll go out and buy another guitar.
I've got three and none were impulsive. I basically play one of them (Washburn acoustic) most of the time.

I guess the person most free is he who needs and owns only one guitar.

Fever and Hum

ReplyQuote
(@gasbag)
Eminent Member

I have 5 guitars and only two that I purchased myself, a Breedlove 12 and a Fender acoustic.
The other 3 were given to me, one for christmas and two others from my kids during the last year.
Maybe I am a victim of "impulse gifting". :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Sometime ago, I was standing in a bait shop looking at fishing gear. My friend came up to me with a fishing lure in his hand and said, "Do you think this one would catch some fish?" I turned to him and said, "They don't make lures to catch fish. They make em to catch men." I own four. Three were impluse/urges/wants.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

I have 5 guitars and only two that I purchased myself, a Breedlove 12 and a Fender acoustic.
The other 3 were given to me, one for christmas and two others from my kids during the last year.
Maybe I am a victim of "impulse gifting". :mrgreen:

Lucky you, i wish i could get some of that

Jack

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2