WHY play guitar? Really..

35 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@robparis)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I am a guitarist and a guitar teacher, I always ask students:

"Why do you want to play the guitar? What's the reason for you? What is your 'guitar dream'?"

And by asking those questions I know more about how and what to teach, but the
most important thing here is that those questions makes the person think about WHY even play the guitar?
and always it triggers them coz they have damn good reasons! :)

Now I want to ask you:
Why did you start play the guitar?
What motivates you to keep on playing?
What would be your vision/ "guitar dream"?

Share your reasons and dreams, don't be shy, for example;
MANY boys start to play to get more girls, right? haha
and thats not a bad reason, whatever it is, its good you started,
and it will be fun if you want to share Your reasons!

Check out my new guitar blogg! (click below)

http://www.guitarbeyondreason.com/
Its only rock n roll but I like it!

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Why?? Well I like, and need some form of creative outlet. Making music is a emotanal release for me. Getting thoughts, and feelings out. Why Guitar, over any other insterment? Cant tell you that one... I just love how stringed insterments can be used in so many ways, and styles.... and the guitar, becouse there is a lot of information out on learning. I enjoy most stringed insterments, and given enough time on this earth, I will learn to play others...

The Motivateing is my main issue... I find it hard to push through those times you realy cant get yourself to pick it up.... Times you have been discuraged, and get PO'ed at your lack of progress... Now as im getting older, its time to just do things... Too many regrets from the past that cant come back, so its time to buck up and do what I need to do!! Plus I am pregressing well the last year, and want to keep moving foward.

Guitar vision??? Wel to be able to go out and play a few songs when I want is a start.... and Im realy getting that one down.... but still need to work on it. I would love to beable to have the skils to go out and jam with some buddys, maybe eaven pull off a few songs at a open mic night or something... Lastly I would like to beable to wright my own songs, AND come up with my own music.. At that point I will say I have arived... And realy... at my age the dream of being a rockstar are all over. :)

Paul B

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

What other reason is there...girls!!!!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member

I had no intension of playing guitar. I bought a guitar that was a return item at Musician's Friend. Just needed a nut for the output jack as far as I could tell. Took it home, repaired the jack and planned to sell it. Then thought maybe I could strum it with my prosthetic arm, no go unless 6 BPM is OK and accuracy isn't important. Next, maybe without the arm but something shorter and lighter. Seems to work a little. Well maybe I could learn a couple of tunes to play along with the harp. I already know how to play that. Found this site and Horse With No Name. Cool. I can kind of do that. Found Three Chord Guitar, Can't You See. I had played the flute part while jamming with some folks before. So learn E,D and A. Cool. Then G, C, Am ......
Now I am playing on street corners and have no idea how I got there or where it is going. But it is so very cool and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I have no choice. There is music in here that needs to come out and my guitar speaks to me about it.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@robparis)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@ s1120 Paul, you don't need to be a rockstar for sure :D
but I notice you have something inside you that wants out though a song,
man, write a song, doesn't matter if its "good" or "bad", just do it, put some chords
together, then do another one, and then you are in the flow, the thing for you it to get started
with the writing, if you want some help with this, tips or something, you can
mail me and I'll give you a helpin' hand, I write songs all the time, for own projects and
for other!

@cnev : ha ha ha, its a damn good reason, tell me, how's it goin' ?! 8)

@1armbandit : LOVE IT!! it doesn't have to be all thought out at all, just keep it up dude!

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Okay, everybody. And here I thought that dreaded "tuning" thread started food fights here on GN!!!

WHY play guitar???

FOOD FIGHT!

What...you forget the toilet paper again? Get outta bed, grumpy...or did you leave Grumpy in the bed?

Ha!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Because it's relaxing.

I rarely play up-tempo stuff, I enjoy playing them, but I tend to go towards what's relaxing with nice melodies.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@robparis)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Because it's relaxing.

I rarely play up-tempo stuff, I enjoy playing them, but I tend to go towards what's relaxing with nice melodies.
Nice. you sing as well?

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

nooo.....that would not be relaxing to anyone around me...fingerstyle guitar.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@robparis)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

nooo.....that would not be relaxing to anyone around me...fingerstyle guitar.

ha ha ha ha :D

I sing when I'm alone you know haha :D

hmm, I would love to have a great voice, something like Joey Tempest or Dee Snider, or a more relaxed one like
mark knopfler

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Like Mt Everest...because it's there...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

Because it's a sexy... sexy instrument :D

ReplyQuote
(@robparis)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Because it's a sexy... sexy instrument :D
It is!!! you just want to "do" it haha !!

I like the curves of my Les Paul, I like the way she screams, and she got the looks that kills!
I have a blond BC Rich Warlock as well, and she is even wilder, but my most beautiful girl is
my Flying V! and I have no words to describe here, she must be touched to understand! :twisted:

ha ha ha :P

okey, *guitar nerd*

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Now I want to ask you:
Why did you start play the guitar?

Same reason as started drums, sax, flute, wind synth, bass, keyboard, vocals, and computer music apps - to make music in the unique way that particular instrument expresses itself.

Each musical instrument expresses itself in it's own individual way. While they all share the same 12 notes, they each have their individual timbre, note range, polyphony, articulations, and the nuances they are capable of producing. If you want to play guitar expressions you can get most of the way there with a synth, and even do some things a guitar cannot do with the synth, but you can't reproduce 100% of what the guitar can do at this point in technology. Plus, as close as I can come to guitar-ish expression on a synth, it's a lot less work on the guitar because of the ergonomics of the instrument.

Playing different instruments is like playing different musical genres, it allows me to put on different musical 'hats' and express different facets of my personality.

What motivates you to keep on playing?

One word: FUN!

What would be your vision/ "guitar dream"?

To be a competent as Jeff Beck - but since I started playing in my 60s and I have to share my time with other instruments, I'll have to live a long time for that to happen -- but I'm up to the task if medical science can hold up their end of the bargain ;)

To quote Rachmaninoff, "A lifetime is enough for music, but music is not enough for a lifetime" - there is always something new to learn, a new adventure waits around the corner.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3