Clear all

WIFI wireless radio...

22 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone... related to music but not specifically guitar-focused... I'm looking to pick up a wireless radio for streaming Internet radio in the house (including Pandora, which I love). Anyone have any experience with these? I was thinking this would be a cool thing to have to stream music out to the deck. I heard that the Grace Wifi Radio is pretty good. Any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YGNZN4/ref=s9subs_c2_img2-rfc_p?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=161S7YPR7B32HZT4JTE5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=278240301&pf_rd_i=507846

For those of you who haven't tried it, check out Pandora - cool site!

http://www.pandora.com

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

I have that model and its certainly very good as long as you can get a good connection. If you can then go for it, much better than a normal DAB.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I have that model and its certainly very good as long as you can get a good connection. If you can then go for it, much better than a normal DAB.

Jack

"Normal DAB"? Are you located in Europe? We don't have DAB in the states, so the comparision will be lost on most yanks.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Sorry, i wrote that without thinking, yes i'm in the UK. But the point is still true, its much better than a normal radio.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, i wrote that without thinking, yes i'm in the UK. But the point is still true, its much better than a normal radio.

Jack

No need to apologize. From what I've heard about the reallocated (read as "reduced"} bitrates on DAB, I'm not surprised some of the internet streams kick @ss by comparison.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

When it first came out it seemed wonderful, but now having found internet radio i can't belive i thought it was the best there was.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Just tried to access pandora, apparently it doesn;t work outside the US. Anyone know of a simillar site that will work withing the UK?

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Maybe Slacker?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Slacker doesn't work, any others?

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Slacker doesn't work, any others?

Jack

Are you behind a firewall that blocks streaming services? Many companies block streaming to avoid loss of bandwidth when a large number of employees listen to internet radio. (Although Slacker is not technically streaming, but a bulk download service.)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

No, its something to do with the copyright laws outside of the US. But there must be some that still work.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Use a free proxy service to make your location appear to be in the US. Just google for "free proxy us" (without the quotes) and pick one that is situated in the US. Then use that proxy service to access Pandora (or others).

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Use a free proxy service to make your location appear to be in the US. Just google for "free proxy us" (without the quotes) and pick one that is situated in the US. Then use that proxy service to access Pandora (or others).

Thanks, works perfectly. Now why didn't i think of that?

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

So, back to the WiFi. I do the Satelitte Radio thing. Is that old school now? Is WiFi as (or more?) portable as Satalitte Radio?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

I would say that WIFI is probably more portable than satalite, providing theres a connection. As long as there is you can;t go wrong.

Jack

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2