Notifications
Clear all

WIFI wireless radio...

22 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Is this similar to cell phone radio thingy ?

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Some cell phones use it, its a radio that connects wirelessly to the internet and streams feeds from there.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Some cell phones use it, its a radio that connects wirelessly to the internet and streams feeds from there.

Jack

Hmmmm. Does not sound like something that would be entirely stable for a road trip?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

It may not work in some places, so no probably not good for a road trip. Keep using satalite radio for that. But in towns and cities, or at home they are brilliant.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

It wouldn't be good at all for a roadtrip. WiFi is only relatively short range, about 100m and at that max range it will be weak and intermittent, without some directional antennas which will then be hard to aim (ok for stationary use). Plus WiFi has no handoff protocols so even if there was a WiFi base every 100m or so and you always had a connection you would need to re-make it every time. The base stations wouldn't hand you off to the next one like cell phones do. Plus most of those WiFi bases are privately owned and have security (admittedly not used well in most cases) so you would need to log in.

Using internet radio like Pandora over WiFi woud work fine if you've got a phone, PDA, or laptop and are at a WiFi access point such a coffee shop, library, or airport lounge.

At home you can use one of those dedicated WiFi internet radio devices. I used to use a Slimdevices (now Logitech) Squeezebox to listen to internet radio and stream music from my computer.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Sorry, again i forgot we where talking about the US. Here in the UK lots of the cities now have full wifi, which makes the radio's alot easier to use.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I would say that WIFI is probably more portable than satalite, providing theres a connection. As long as there is you can;t go wrong.

Jack

(Disclaimer: I am affiliated with Sirius)

SDARS (Satellite) is portable, and both XM and Sirius have nearly continuous outdoor portable coverage in all major cities. The most recent satellite radio product development I led was for the Sirius Stiletto 2 portable -- that also includes WiFi to get Sirius service indoors:

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2640&siId=3346664&catParentID=7874&scId=7874&oldParentID=

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2