Clear all

Will this hurt my amp?

23 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Terry are you saying that an Mp3 jack = a speaker that can handle all frequencies? If so I'd have to disagree. Not that I know for sure but I just don't see amp manufacterers being that concerned about frequency response when you are playing an Mp3 through your amp. I could be wrong though.

But Roy is probably right they most likely do by-pass the preamp there would be no need to go through that.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Terry are you saying that an Mp3 jack = a speaker that can handle all frequencies? If so I'd have to disagree. Not that I know for sure but I just don't see amp manufacterers being that concerned about frequency response when you are playing an Mp3 through your amp. I could be wrong though.
I bet there are cases where this is true, but wouldn't one have to assume an implied effort to make sure your product could perform as advertised, free of defects including and assuming normal usage scenarios? Not everyone operates at epipho.... , erm, I mean poor quality levels as standard protocol.

If having MP3 capabilities means that a manufacture needs to install speakers that can handle the job, then I would hope I was lucky enough to buy one from a manufacture that cares enough to do it right. Then again, that might only exist in a world where pigs have wings and unicorns roam free.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

The main purpose of a guitar amp is to properly amplify the frequencies that a guitar would fall under. I would think that is THE most important thing.

I don't know if there is such a thing as an all purpose amp speaker but my personal opinion is that they add the Mp3 input as a convinience without much thought as to how the multitutude of frequencies that you might send would sound.

Ok so I exaggerate a bit but my point is that is a very secondary concern. The most important thing is how it performs as a guitar amp period the rest is all bells and whistles.

Roy what implied performance are you talking about? I don't think (although I never checked) that when an amp has an Mp3 jack the manufacturer insures you are going to get the highest quality sound through it.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Roy what implied performance are you talking about? I don't think (although I never checked) that when an amp has an Mp3 jack the manufacturer insures you are going to get the highest quality sound through it.

In the case of an amp equipped with MP3 playback capacity, I would expect that it would play loudly enough and clearly enough at desired levels for any kid with ears not ready to burst due to age yet without ripping the speakers apart. In this case, performance might be more along the lines of structural quality than top notched P/A or guitar amp tones.

Maybe this is a better way to put it. A PA system being optimal for bass and drums and a guitar amp being optimal for guitar, pehaps this amp would lay somewhere between the two tone-wise. Equally important would be that it doesn't break under "normal" usage.

Of course, "normal" might mean different things to different people. I certainly found that out the hard way recently.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

What I'm saying it means is that it won't destroy the speaker to play full range music through it. Not that it will reproduce the frequencies faithfully. I'm sure a single guitar speaker can't reproduce these frequencies. I just don't want mine to die trying.

I suspect that it's quite possible for a signal to run a different route to the speaker from an MP3 jack. Why would they want to run an MP3 through the pre-amp gizmos? I'd be willing to bet that there's a seperate patch for at least part of the way. Maybe until somewhere in the power-out.
Yes, thats why I worded things like this.
Other than impedance matching I doubt they provide anything but a post preamp line in.
But, going through those pre amp thingys by using the guitar input may well filter out some of the lower frequencies via the EQ section of the amp. :?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@smoothbro)

Hey, Back in the day, I had mics, keyboards, bass, all going through one amp. Lots of bands have done this. Fender Twins have been used for Keyboards since year dot I wish I'd had one back when I had the back strength to carry it around.

If you want fidelity and/or club-level volume, then get a PA/Keyboard/Acoustic guitar amp with the properties you need. If you want a workaround to play tracks for scratch gigs/rehearsals or you just can't justify spending more money on gear right now, then have a go. Set your output from your gadget fairly low, and the volume on the amp channel right down. Play your mp3 and turn up the volume slowly, if it sounds distorted, then turn the gadget volume down further and use the amp volume to adjust. Use the channel EQ/tone to get a reasonable mp3 sound.

Make your adjustments gradual and you'll hear any distress from your speakers before you cause any damage. Make music!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

why don't you just pick up some 10 dollar laptop speakers?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

why don't you just pick up some 10 dollar laptop speakers?
I've got an issue with cheap, small speakers. Can't even handle TV speakers. It allows something to get through and sends migraines through the roof. Odd, I know. :evil:

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2