Clear all

Willie Nelson's 4th of July Picnic

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Due to circumstances beyond our control, wasn't quite the brilliant day we thought it would be....

It was soooooooo hot - about 98C in the shade, but there wasn't any...so we went to Billybob's for a cold drink and something to eat....Billybob's was cool, mixture of records and live music, some fabulous memorabilia - unfortunately some pillock (OK I'll hold my hand up, it was me!!!) forgot to charge the camera up...so didn't get many photo's, wanted to get some from the concert....

Billybob's was the start of the trouble though....Marilyn, stressed out and sufering from the heat, had an epileptic seizure...fortunately, not a really severe one, and I spotted the signs in time...she recovered enough to have a bite to eat, but she was still a bit drained...then...I was violently sick, but I think that was just a reaction to Marilyn's seizure...felt better afterwards...and we didn't venture out again till it had goe a bit cooler....

Anyway, heard the tail-end of the Doobie's set...got to hear them playing "Listen to the Music", that was cool....saw a few more bands, enjoyed all the music without exception....Marilyn by this time just needed to sit down, found a seat by the medical centre, which was fortunate as it turned out....

Finally got to see Dylan....wanted to see him for about 30 years, never got the chance till now...his voice is a little shot,but the band was excellent - played (amongst others) Highway 61, like a rolling stone, and a killer version of all along the watchtower, managed to get a video clip of the last 2 minutes...

Then Marilyn had another seizure, again not too severe, and fortunately the medical staff were close at hand...so Desarae (Syd's Madcap Girl on these forums) went for the car to take us home....we only managed to hear a few minutes of Willie's set, sounded excellent though...

I'd love to know who the blues rock band were who were on just after Dylan...I heard the name "Pat Simmons" (sp?) mentioned, but not sure if he was the guitarist or the "band"...

Anyway, we've had a quiet day by the air-conditioning and the pool, made Marilyn get in the heated jacuzzi/whirlpool spa bath....that seemed to do her a lot of good....she's a lot better tonight....

So all in all, bit of a disaster...but hey, look on the bright side, I GOT TO SEE DYLAN!!!! As far as I'm concerned, the man's still fabulous...even if the voice isn't what it was...

And I have an excuse to come back next year....I have to see Willie Nelson....

OH, and how surreal is this....I was wearing a red "Liverpool - Champions of Europe!!!" t-shirt....on the way to the refreshment post, got stopped by a bloke who asked me in a Texan accent where I was from..told him, "about 25 minutes from Liverpool by train"...and he had a Liver Bird with L F C....the club badge!! tattooed on his arm...thousands of miles from home, and I bump into a fellow Liverpool fan...!!!!!!!

Just like to say a big thank-you to the people in Billybob's who helped us... they'll probably never read this, but thanks all the same...especially the young lad with the shaven head, ex-army, had medical training - same goes for the Fort Worth Fire Dept, who supplied the medical tent...and the Forth Worth policemen, who went out of their way to help....

Ah well, like I said, there's always next year....

And I had what alcoholics call "A moment of Clarity"....there's no point sub-dividing musical genres, whether it's country, rock or blues....or any other genre of your choice, from Jazz to Thrash Metal....if you like it, it's MUSIC!!!!!

Enough rambling...but did I mention how much I enjoyed Dylan?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

98C? haha wouldn't that be near the boiling point? gald you finally got to see dylan Vic. sounds like it woulda been a good time

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

98deg C and it felt even hotter....it was certainly the hottest I've ever been in my 48 years....and with all those bodies squashed together, I'd like to bet it was hotter still....

Anyway, whatever else happened on the day, I GOT TO SEE DYLAN!!!!

Even Marilyn enjoyed his set, although she was still a bit off-colour...

Have I mentioned yet how good Dylan was?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Vic,

was Dylan any good, then?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

98deg C and it felt even hotter....

I think you mean 98 degrees Farenheit... If it was Celsius then you sweat would be boiling... It was 104° F here in Austin yesterday... We also had a mild tornado... :shock: Well, not really, but we did have thunderstorms and flooding... (Which is good because we have'nt had rain in over a month).. Hope you're having a good time AND COME DOWN TO AUSTIN!!! :D

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah you're right Yoyo...98degF....mind you I did say it felt even hotter!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

PS - I haven't mentioned how brilliant Dylan was yet....wonder if I can get through a whole post without doing?

ReplyQuote