Clear all

Wish I lived next door to rparker...

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Do y'all ever notice that when rparker visits the music store he always comes out the door with a new axe in hand?!?!? :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

What I would like to know is, how does he convince the misses to go along with all those purchases?!?!? :lol:

(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

I would love to be the sales person that sells to him.

Think of all the comission!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :D

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Evidently, Roy is a good man, and he has a good wife. :D

Roy has wished me well here and knows I am in a spat with my wife - plus she has locked up, and double-locked the majority of my guitars, given the keys to her lawyer and the issues to the Judge. Not that it matters, but she double-locked the other double lock and kept that outer access key for herself, so nobody gets in, until we get an Appraiser. :shock:

I am taking a Psychology program(me) here, so I think that in order for Roy to to what he does, I would say he must be pursuing compatible goals with his missus, he doesn't need to either avoid or rationalize his purchases, he probably isn't driven by extremes or compulsions, so his interest in guitars and playing is very sincere and functional; his self-esteem and maturity allow him to achieve these goals.

So, uhh... getting what you want is a Personality Science with balance, if you can come up with the rest, like money? :lol:

He get's very good deals, that is a talent, and surely he deserves them. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

i enjoy reading his gear posts! He also seems to stay motivated even though he's not in a band or group that practices regularly. That is definitely respectable!

I wish i had a neighbor like him to jam with.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I would love to be the sales person that sells to him.

Think of all the comission!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :D
:mrgreen: He should definitely be on a first name basis with him! The salesman probably has Roy's number on speeddial! :mrgreen:
Evidently, Roy is a good man, and he has a good wife. :D

Roy has wished me well here and knows I am in a spat with my wife - plus she has locked up, and double-locked the majority of my guitars, given the keys to her lawyer and the issues to the Judge. Not that it matters, but she double-locked the other double lock and kept that outer access key for herself, so nobody gets in, until we get an Appraiser. :shock:

I am taking a Psychology program(me) here, so I think that in order for Roy to to what he does, I would say he must be pursuing compatible goals with his missus, he doesn't need to either avoid or rationalize his purchases, he probably isn't driven by extremes or compulsions, so his interest in guitars and playing is very sincere and functional; his self-esteem and maturity allow him to achieve these goals.

So, uhh... getting what you want is a Personality Science with balance, if you can come up with the rest, like money? :lol:

He get's very good deals, that is a talent, and surely he deserves them. 8)
Well put...Sorry about the issues with your wife, I consider myself lucky after reading that part of the post! :shock:

i enjoy reading his gear posts! He also seems to stay motivated even though he's not in a band or group that practices regularly. That is definitely respectable!

Another well said post. :D

I notice rparker is absent from the boards this morning...Oh I see...he must be on a Guitar Center run! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well we all want to move near Roy he's the man and besides the geetars he's got a Harley so that's a ++2.

Blue jay sorry to hear of your situation, when I got divorced thankfully I wasn't playing gutiar at the time because they won't have been locked up they'd probably have been destroyed. Hope everything works out for the best.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'm sorry to hear of your current difficulties BlueJay. As far as Roy goes, he is a good guy so he deserves it. I must say I am very spoiled in the guitar department myself when it comes to my spouse.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

well the wife isn't the issue with guitar toys since she played herself it's usually me that doesn't want to spend the money or it's hard for me to justify spending it on more guitar gear when there are sooo many other things that I need to buy.

But I have 3 decent guitars now and I don't see myself buying any others anytime soon unless it was practically free. I do need alot of other things though as I'm still searching for my tone.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I just saw this this morning. Now I understand cnev's comment in another post. I've been head deep into some paper work organizational type stuff I've put off for years due to illness and such. Still got a ways to go, but getting there. Before that we had three cloudy, rainy days. for me, that meant a mega-Migraine.

Back to my guitar purchases, I am over the edge and need to really reign it in. Still, I don't do anything too high dollar. I have no justification for what I do have.

I think in the past 15 months I've sold 3 and purchased 6 for a net gain of 3, which brings me to 11. Gone are the MIM Strat, Yamaha 12-stringer and the Epi SG. The Strat turned into a PRS, the SG turned into an Epi LP and the Yami turned into money for the family budget. (well, that was right after I bought a Gretsch, so I felt I needed to do it)

So, in came, in order:
**Squire Tele (Christmas gift '08), and someone gave me American Standard pickups for her. :)
**Gretsch Electromatic (combo father's day and birthday '09),and I caught some grief for paying for part of it a month later.
**Epi LP (with proceeds from SG Sale and an additional $25 in Autumn '09)
**PRS SE (Strat trade-in, wicked awesome competitor's coupon, additional 10% coupon and very little cash which wife picked up the tab for as an easy-out Christmas gift for Christmas '09)
**Parkwood Elect/Acoustic - Winter '10, using about 5 weeks of not smoking money from my quitting smoking efforts.

Being laid up, I don't spend money on anything else. I also keep my eyes wide open for great deals. Cash out of pocket including gifts (when the wife spends it, it's the same account) altogether for all five is not anywhere close to what they all sell for new. We're talking about 1/4 of new price + three guitars I didn't like anymore maybe brought it to almost 1/2.

I'm also willing to purchase something with a nick or scratch on it. I hit the stores during their big events looking for the about to be discontinued and manager is sick of looking at stock. Not afraid of used. I do the miser things.
how does he convince the misses to go along with all those purchases?!?!?
Simple. Encourage her and her hobbies. She's out bead shopping with a neighbor of ours. An easy $100 gone. Poof! I also took near pro grade pictures of her art and jewlerly so she could post them on line. She's sold a thing or two, not much. Still, I'm supporting her endeavors. It's a two way street and has worked for us for 20 years.
I don't have maturity. I avoid those kinds of things. That's for kids. :lol: My interest in guitars and playing is sincere and probably quite functional as it does occupy me, sometimes does so when I need it the most.
Thanks man! I wish you and some others were close by so that it could happen.
He should definitely be on a first name basis with him! The salesman probably has Roy's number on speeddial!
Before my local music shop that I liked shut down, I did know the folks there. The GC group, not so much. New faces all the time. Either that, or my memory is shot. Hmmmmm. I bet it's a combination of both. :oops:
Well we all want to move near Roy he's the man and besides the geetars he's got a Harley so that's a ++2. The weather is just starting to turn now. A few weeks late, but it's getting here. Hopefully I can ride her some this year. It's looking up. I did sneak a 20 mile ride on a really good head and waether day 6 weeks ago. 8)
As far as Roy goes, he is a good guy so he deserves it. :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks man!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote